Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of powder coating my factory rims in wet black. Anyone had experience with this?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think this member did and I seem to recall one or two more,But I agree with KM here,most have painted theirs(including yours truly).here is a link to some pics of the one I think was powder coated
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=108

Painting actually works quite well and I found Krylon BBQ and Stove Paint to be quite durable,especially if black is what you are after.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think this member did and I seem to recall one or two more,But I agree with KM here,most have painted theirs(including yours truly).here is a link to some pics of the one I think was powder coated
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=108

Painting actually works quite well and I found Krylon BBQ and Stove Paint to be quite durable,especially if black is what you are after.
I'm thinking about painting mine, is there anything special that needs to be done to the wheels....besides cleaning them?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Strip the clear coat off with aircraft stripper. Then make sure the surface is properly prepped for paint and have a go at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Strip the clear coat off with aircraft stripper. Then make sure the surface is properly prepped for paint and have a go at it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Mine is an '86 with black centers. Going to repaint in gunmetal gray and thought it would look better with all black wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
With paint you need to be very careful when removing and reinstalling tires. Powder coating is much more durable. I would consider having mine powder coated if it didn't have so many miles on it. At 72,000 miles, I'm just going to keep riding and maintaining it, until the engine blows up.

Even if I make it to 100,000 miles, it will still be an expensive ride. For twice what I paid for it back in '02, including all the expensive Kawasaki accessories, I could have bought a cheap new car and gotten 200,000 miles, weather protection, room for cargo and passengers, A/C, no spline lubes, cheaper tires, batteries, etc.

Anyone who buys a motorcycle thinking they will save money on transportation is in for a surprise. Motorcycles are strictly expensive fun machines.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Thinking of powder coating my factory rims in wet black. Anyone had experience with this?
I believe that Mike DeAngelo from this forum has powder coated his wheels and recently sold them. You may be able to see pictures of the work he did in his album. Give him a PM and I am sure he maybe able to give you some good information on doing the coating yourself. Mike is a good guy and willing to help out fellow riders when possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts