Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having issues with the front fork flopping over at stops. Driving was fine, but at a stop, if you turn the fork slightly, it just flops over. Heard it could be the tire which will be changed shortly, but it's strange. Heard of the fall away adjustment in the steering bearing. Suppose to check this every 1000 miles.
Denny! Help!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do you mean that when you turn the bars slightly, the wheel and forks want to snap over to full lock/turn?

Might be as simple as the steering head nut being too loose? Or maybe the bearing is going and needs replaced?

I'd get it up on the center stand with the rear wheel on the ground check for excessive play in the bearing.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Hmm. mine does that too. I did check the bearings when I did the forks, but did no adjustment. Completely overlooked that in the manual, but I think I remember reading it once.

Like if I'm stopped and use both hands to tweak my helmet, the bars flop over one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fork bearings should be tight enough to stop this. Harleys have this adjustment. Just wondering if ours does too.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
I must have read about 'fall away' somewhere else. Section 13-4 of the manual shows adjustment.

According to this manual, the bars should turn to full lock when pushed lightly, but that's with the tire off the ground.

Too loose would allow the forks to wiggle on the stem axis.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yep look on gadgets page about torquing the steering bearings. Be sure to remove the lock washer over the lock nut. I changed the steering bearings out on mine last summer because after I torqued them to the proper torque the steering had aNotchy feeling coming off straight ahead. The bearings and races if not torqued correctly can get worn since they spend most of the time in a small range of motion. Worth checking. you can put it on a jack and adjust it like you were talking about with the fall away method they shouldn't flop over to full lock quickly but move slowly to full lock. I'll give you a heads up after you take the top tree off and move your handle bars around it may not start. Don't worry, the clutch switch almost always comes in plugged any time you are working on the left side controls as well and some times at random causing a no start situation. I zip tied mine in place and stopped that little annoyance. Hope that helped you out:motorcycl

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Now just have to get the front tire off for a tire change. Ever hear of a V lift for the Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Now just have to get the front tire off for a tire change. Ever hear of a V lift for the Vulcan?
No , you got a link? I made an adaptor that pins to the frame on mine that looks like the Idaho jack adaptor and use a regular motorcycle/atv jack. I KSP bought one of the HF lft table for when I want to pick it up on the wheels. Makes life a lot easier

·
Super Moderator
11,990 Posts
I just put it on center stand and use anything to prop up the front under the motor....stationary adjustable jack stands, cinder blocks, wood, etc.

With the front wheel off the ground..

Turn the bars straight and then get in front of the bike and grab each bottom fork tube near the axle kneeling down in front of the wheel...and pull and push them back and forth, if there's ANY play your steering head bearings are loose.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just put it on center stand and use anything to prop up the front under the motor....stationary adjustable jack stands, cinder blocks, wood, etc.

With the front wheel off the ground..

Turn the bars straight and then get in front of the bike and grab each bottom fork tube near the axle kneeling down in front of the wheel...and pull and push them back and forth, if there's ANY play your steering head bearings are loose.
Try to keep up with goings on here km ;) He now has a 1600 with no center stand and I don't think you are man enough to move the front end on it if it were off the ground ,just saying. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,990 Posts
Yep. Sorry KM, meant the 1600. Denny, here's a link. http://www.gadgetjq.com/v-lift.htm
I'm sorry too....

But perhaps you need to change your sig line...
(Unless your 1600 has a 900 Seat, and Chads floorboards....)

My Bonnie has no center stand. But I took the scissor jacks out of both cars and put one under each foot peg and switching back and forth , raised the bike....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts