Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Didn't ride or even start her up. Just a glamor shot on the first sunny day in a month!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I'm ready for warmer weather. Got to see my bike today, was in the garage fixing my 4wd after being snowed in for a week.

Your pics or looking at mine makes me want a ride.

Did you make that snow pile? Damn! Had to chip two inches of ice to get my garage door open.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
It’s supposed to climb into the 50s next week. If this snow melts I’m hitting the road. Even if it’s for a short ride.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I took mine out this week for the first time in a month or so, took it out today as well. Chilly for me, but you northerners would probably think it was a warm spring day hahaha

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
92 Posts
Cruised over the mountain to Santa Cruz a few weeks ago. Since then I am doing Restoration Part II, taking dents out of gas tank and replacing front forks, and a lot of smaller maint things getting ready to lube the main drive driveshaft (impeller hahahah.. love that term... not...) splines.

Love this bike so much, It runs so sweet and tracks so nice. And haven't even tuned the pilot screw mixture yet. Really keeps me smiling all the time (except that it had no front brakes... but will the next time I go out).

I am such a cheapo. There was a completely clean Fuel Sending Unit on eBay last week for $53 shipped. I dorked around with soldering my crusted up piece of junk unit.. it still needs another wire jumper from variable resistor tab to body and it will work ok, but it is too goofy, I will replace it. An '86 for $60 is all that's available on eBay .. doh!

I am getting antsy.. just waiting for crush washers for fork lower bolts to stop them leaking and get my gas tank back, and I am Back On the California Roads.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
On a more positive note, the winter boredom has led me to finally take a crack at working with some metal. Other than your typical home construction stuff (steel sheet rock studs, plumbing work, and storm door jams) I have really never had a need to. I wanted to start small (and cheap) so I decided on aluminum and brazing as my first go to replace the broken door on the bikes tool box. Surprisingly, this little project taught me plenty of do’s and don’ts. Now I have seen some amazing work from folks on the forum and I’m no where near that level of experience, but I’m happy how this turned out. Even if it looks like my first Shop class project!:LOL:

Now I’m looking for a better place to get material, the big home improvement stores don’t carry enough and it took almost two weeks for the aluminum weld-on hinges to show up from eBay. If anybody has links to a good distributor please share.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
On a more positive note, the winter boredom has led me to finally take a crack at working with some metal. Other than your typical home construction stuff (steel sheet rock studs, plumbing work, and storm door jams) I have really never had a need to. I wanted to start small (and cheap) so I decided on aluminum and brazing as my first go to replace the broken door on the bikes tool box. Surprisingly, this little project taught me plenty of do’s and don’ts. Now I have seen some amazing work from folks on the forum and I’m no where near that level of experience, but I’m happy how this turned out. Even if it looks like my first Shop class project!:LOL:

Now I’m looking for a better place to get material, the big home improvement stores don’t carry enough and it took almost two weeks for the aluminum weld-on hinges to show up from eBay. If anybody has links to a good distributor please share.
The box turned out alright. Should be some metal suppliers locally. Then there's places like Grainger, they'll only sell in bulk. Manager at your home center might order what you need, paid in advance of course.

Link as an example, not sure how it compares.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Pic from yesterday’s short rides. Bike on the left is my buddy’s 2016 VN900 Classic. We recently got this running right after lots of work on the rusted out gas tank.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
92 Posts
View attachment 52973
Pic from yesterday’s short rides. Bike on the left is my buddy’s 2016 VN900 Classic. We recently got this running right after lots of work on the rusted out gas tank.
Always enjoy seeing the Iron.

Why did you relocate the overflow tank to the front of the rad?

And the VN900 doesn't have an axle spacer? Looks unusual seeing the bare axle space between the fork tube and the rim.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Always enjoy seeing the Iron.

Why did you relocate the overflow tank to the front of the rad?

And the VN900 doesn't have an axle spacer? Looks unusual seeing the bare axle space between the fork tube and the rim.
I made a coolant overflow tank out of an Arizona tea bottle, painted black. I did that because I converted my ACCT's to MCCT's and put in a long bolt that interfered with the stock coolant overflow tank.

Not sure about the axle spacer, but this is the 2nd gen VN900, and it's the classic version so there's a lot of little styling things they modified from the factory.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Just for the record it’s snowing again today!
Spring cannot come fast enough.
43° and rain here, our forecast did an about face, a lot warmer than they were predicting for this week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's been spring here in the Bay Area for weeks now...

As a lifelong resident of the area, I can attest that this is NOT NORMAL. It should be cold, overcast, and raining on a regular basis. Instead, it was in the upper 70's today, not a cloud in the sky.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you make that snow pile? Damn! Had to chip two inches of ice to get my garage door open.
Ya, all hand shoveled too! I call it the sore back ridge!

Chicken strip looking a little thin there! :):cool:
I wasn't able to scrape pegs in my driveway, but I'll get there! ;)
Actually, the back tire is at the end of its life, both age and miles. I'll be putting a new one on before I get very far into the season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts