Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious does anyone run a brake disc lock, or have a suggestion on brands. I picked one up at Pep Boys i saw at a good price from Bell but it's pin is too large to fit the holes and it's bulk is too much to let it fit the lowest hole. Not a total loss I hope I'll just take it to work a couple guys there ride, see if it fits them. So anybody got a lil guidence? =)

Thanks
-Dach

·
Registered
77 Posts
MY insurers offered advice on security devices and I asked about disk locks. They said that thieves try to remove them and in attempting to do so they either damage the brake disk or mess up the lock so you can't get it off. They advised a hardened chain.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
To use a disc lock on the 750, you usually have to grind the inner part of the lock (horseshoe), as it seems to hit the wheel. Always use a reminder on the throttle grip. I saw a guy go over the handlebars after forgetting about the disc lock.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Not sure how big the market is VN750's , but if you are afraid of theft, disc locks are fairly useless. Get yourself a chain, or bar type lock that you can actualy lock the bike to SOMETHING other than itself. (Lightpost, sign, etc)
If parking overnight, a lockable cover is a good idea too...

KM

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks dudes. I mostly wanted it for parking it about town, dunno what the theft market on them is usualy it's sport bikes, but never the less I'd feel more comfortable. I'm just one of them parinoid guys, even though my car is two differnt colors thanks to body repairs and splatterd with bird doo i still try to glance at it from the shops or food places when i can just to be sure. =)

So i think i'm just gonna take that nice blaze orange reminder strap the disc lock came with if nobody wants it and use a U lock through the rim i got for my bicycle.

·
239 Posts
Disc locks scare me. I have no doubt I would forget it was on there.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Disc locks scare me. I have no doubt I would forget it was on there.
That's what I did at the Potluck ride. I knew it was there, but then got distracted when I saw one of my saddlebag straps weren't closed, and forgot to take it off.
The result was the bike and I took a slight dip, almost hitting the ground. Once I got the bike upright and on the sidestand I took it off then proceeded to pull away. When I used the front brake the first time after that, I found a slight issue. The hole I used in the disc got deformed to where I felt a "Clunk Clunk Clunk". Pulled out my Leatherman tool and used the file to flatten it and then I was good to go, aside from feeling a bit stupid for doing it.
Luckily I didn't pull away quickly when the lock was on there. Otherwise, it no doubt could have caused more severe problems.
I don't use it often, and may decide to just use a cable next time instead.

The lock I have isn't actually a disc lock, but a Master lock that uses the round style of key.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
There's a reason I keep my bike looking just crappy enough that it aint worth it to steal it - yet still get the occasional "nice bike"

Yet another reason not to have a hardley (though the puddle of oil underneath might cause the would be theif to slip... suing you for damages...).

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Yet another reason not to have a hardley (though the puddle of oil underneath might cause the would be theif to slip... suing you for damages...).
LOL! :smiley_th

1 - 11 of 11 Posts