Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out a few times this weekend on both bikes. Friday I was out for about 2 and half hours. Yeah I needed a long hot shower when I got back but it was worth it. The high today is supposed to be 31, its 21 now so I think I'll skip today but I'm thinking bout taking a ride later in the week. How bout you, anybody still out there braving the cold?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I've really been racking up the miles. Riding season here is just about over in 3 more months, and it will be another long hot 120 degree summer. Fortunately I have a dual sport bike I can ride up north on, and do some trail riding, and get out of the blistering heat. I also ride the Vulcan up north in the summer, you have to get up and leave before the sun comes up, and you can't come back till after dark. But theres almost no riding around here during the summer, it's not only miserable, IMO it's downright dangerous. Jerry

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I went out last weekend. Left home @ 44 degrees returned at 33. It was refreshing and I REALLY needed the time on the bike - cabin fever in the Great NW!

DT

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I rode last week (12/29) to get both my carb'd bikes gassed up and mix in the stabil. This weekend I got to put a fair amount of miles on all 3 of my bikes - it was up into the 60s, who was I to deny myself the pleasure. OK, honestly, my wife said I needed to go out and ride. ALWAYS follow your spouse's instructions to ride when told, people!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,698 Posts
I would love to go for a ride, but last nite we got hit with 6-12" of snow! .......so the the only thing I'll be riding is the snow thrower! blast!!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
It was 36 here in Tampa this morning, haven't been on the bike in a couple of weeks, hopefully this weekend.

Jon

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Those of you in NoCal or Arizona have it easy... There's a reason this thread exists in the "Northeast Region" part of the forum :)

I went riding last week and plan to tomorrow as well, now that I've got my Gerbings heated gloves.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I missed the opportunity for a New Year's run... my bike is in pieces as I relocate the R/R, rejet the carbs, and do an ear shave..

Small price to pay- I hope!

Can't wait to be back on the road.. I'll be riding unless the snow keeps coming!

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Those of you in NoCal or Arizona have it easy... There's a reason this thread exists in the "Northeast Region" part of the forum :)

I went riding last week and plan to tomorrow as well, now that I've got my Gerbings heated gloves.
One thing about those Gerbings...they come with the wrong fuse in the control. At least, mine did. They put the blue fuse in, which accomodates vest, gloves, boots, etc. you need (I think) the violet fuse...quite a bit less amperage. Read the booklet and check before you ride. I don't remember the amperages, but it's all there in the book.
Not sure how important it really is, but I imagine it would void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It's a shame, and we've had the weather for it, but I haven't been riding much lately except for helping my buddy pick up the Shadow the other night. I've had the flu off and on the last couple weeks, did my spline lube on one of my good days, but all that sweating in that cold made me have a re-lapse so I was down again. Never finished giving her a good cleaning and putting the bags back on so now I'm getting real close to being over the flu (hopefully) and getting back on the bike. Still gotta get everything put back on and then hopefully I'm riding til late Summer again! It's a drag being sick and the weather being perfect and all I can do is look at my bike!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
One thing about those Gerbings...they come with the wrong fuse in the control. At least, mine did. They put the blue fuse in, which accomodates vest, gloves, boots, etc. you need (I think) the violet fuse...quite a bit less amperage. Read the booklet and check before you ride. I don't remember the amperages, but it's all there in the book.
Not sure how important it really is, but I imagine it would void the warranty.
Hmm. I'm using a Powerlet outlet I installed to simplify things like this, not the fuse block to the battery that it came with. The warning I pay attention to is to only connect the gloves after engine ignition, and to disconnect them before shutting down (though I forgot about that last one today).

I've used them two or three times over the past week, today being the coldest I rode in (about 22F when I came in to work today). The gloves don't really feel like anything is happening until after about 10 minutes of riding, and then I only really notice any warmth when I'm stopped at a red light, probably due to wind chill.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got glove liners that are battery powered, three triple a's that strap to your wrists. The heating element runs the length of the fingers too so everything stays toasty. I'm also not draining from the bike which can be a problem. They were 40 beans right before Christmas but now it looks like they jacked them back up to 50 - that sucks. Anyway, in case anyone's interested:

http://www.brookstone.com/heated-gloves-liners.html?bkeid=compare|mercent|googlebase|search&mr:trackingCode=26785FE1-428B-DE11-9EF7-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'll probably sneak one in today after work. We're supposed to be getting snow starting at 1 a.m. that lasts until around noon tomorrow so no riding after today. It should be about 28 or so by the time I get home. I imagine the ride will be a short one.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I'm in the Pac Northwest and still ride everyday. A couple of weeks ago it was a blazing 16 degrees at 4am, that hurt but being that I don't own a car its two wheels for me. If theres snow and ice thats when I wake the little lady to drive me to work. Been lucky enough so far that it hasn't been an issue yet.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its supposed to be 49 degrees here today - 49!!! I'm lovin it! I will DEFINITELY be out today. I was actually out yesterday for a bit, I got lunch at Chik-filet then cruised the back roads. Its supposed to be even nicer today. I can't ever remember a 50 degree day in Philly in January but I'll take it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
We set a record here, 11 or 12 days in a row where it did not reach 60F. It did yesterday, will hit 70 today, but of course rain on the weekend!
Four or five mornings in the mid 20's.

I haven't been this cold since I left NJ 11 years ago.

Jon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts