Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock VN750 has 32-degrees of rake in the neck. I'm interested in adding about another 8-degrees to set the front tire out further in the front on longer fork tubes.

Anyone have any experience with a modified VN750 neck rake, or a VN750 chopper? Seems like just about any frame can be raked, but I don't see many 750cc models that have been customized this way. I don't know if the interest is just not there, or if it's not worth the difficulty on this frame.

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ol Poop said:
The stock VN750 has 32-degrees of rake in the neck. I'm interested in adding about another 8-degrees to set the front tire out further in the front on longer fork tubes.

Anyone have any experience with a modified VN750 neck rake, or a VN750 chopper? Seems like just about any frame can be raked, but I don't see many 750cc models that have been customized this way. I don't know if the interest is just not there, or if it's not worth the difficulty on this frame.

CD in Anadarko, OK
Personally, I would never consider this. For me, the 750 has a very nice geometry...perfect rake vs trail. Stability on the highway and decently responsive steering. I like to lean, and I think those dudes on choppers are missing a very important part of the moto experience....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RB,

I can't really tell from the angle of the photo, whether he raked the frame or used a raked tree, or both. It will be interesting to find out more about it. Hopefully, I'll get some additional feedback on it from the builder. Thanks for directing me to it.

jm1515 is right about the geometry of the VN750 being great. It's a well balanced bike just the way it sets. I have a 1990 model project bike that I want to create a retro-style chopper out of, and I am considering the possibility of raking the neck on it. I've always wanted a small chopper like I used to see back in the 60's and 70's, but I like the VN750 so well that I don't want to go to a different model to get it.

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey fellow Okie from Claremore OK. I have been interested in doing the same thing. I thought that I would put a set of 11.5" shocks on rear (which would drop it an inch) then cut the neck loose and rack it till the bike was parallel with the ground again. My neighbor did this to his Honda then turned it to a rigid. Turned out awesome and the way he redid the neck it is stronger then the factories.

Looking at the pictures referred to by Red Baron it looks like he cut the front frame rails then pieced his own back in. I would be interested in more information so if the guy is willing to share please let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I decide to rake it out I would have my neighbor do it since he has done his own (a Honda) and several others. He is good with metal and seems to know how to weld pretty good, as far as doing it for someone else I don't know if he would. I will try to get with him and if he is interested I'll get his e-mail and pass it on to you.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
If you are really getting into this customization, you might want to join this yahoo group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metric-Choppers/

It's small and it has been quiet until recently, and activity is picking up now.

RB

Ol Poop said:
RB,

I can't really tell from the angle of the photo, whether he raked the frame or used a raked tree, or both. It will be interesting to find out more about it. Hopefully, I'll get some additional feedback on it from the builder. Thanks for directing me to it.

jm1515 is right about the geometry of the VN750 being great. It's a well balanced bike just the way it sets. I have a 1990 model project bike that I want to create a retro-style chopper out of, and I am considering the possibility of raking the neck on it. I've always wanted a small chopper like I used to see back in the 60's and 70's, but I like the VN750 so well that I don't want to go to a different model to get it.

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
103 Posts
The rake angle on a stock VN750 is 32 degrees. On the new roadster model of the V-Rod, supposedly the more sport bike design of Harley's watercooled v-twin they pulled the rake angle back to make it handle more like a sport bike. What angle? 32 degrees. Hmmmmmmm.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Uh heck yeah. If there is one thing about this group we are hungry for details and cool ideas, so brag all you want about what you did in as much gory detail as you like.:)

RB

Art said:
http://photos.yahoo.com/kcsterling
Ok guys, appears that my bike has been the topic of a couple of conversations. I just happened onto this site and was surprised to see a link to my bike. If anybody wants any details just let me know. Thanks, Art

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try to list the mods that I have performed up to now:

Stretched the frame approx. 5", raked the neck probably close to 38 degrees. No close measurements here, cut and weld, then stand back to take it all in. I cut the rear seat and upper shock mounts off and angled the battery tray area to match the line of the frame toward the neck. I actually used a roll of 3/4 masking tape to run a straight line on the frame, I wanted a clean angled profile. I then plug welded a new hardtail section onto the original frame, I used old thread on shock ends on this area so I could bolt the ends to the original lower shk mounts. I then braced all of this using several different types of metal and pipe. I also had to make new front frame pieces to mate to the redone neck area, these were also plug welded and I utilized the original bolt off section to ease in engine removal. The radiator was stripped down to the essentials, to make it unnoticable as possible. The coils were relocated above the carbs, all safety switches were by passed and the harness retaped and relocated. Switches are now mounted to the left side cover area. I had a custom upper triple tree fabricated so I could use big fatty Harley handle bars that have been shortened and bent. Harley throttle and cable, brake and clutch controls as well as a Harley clutch cable. The kick stand was relocated to the left passenger footpeg mount and rebent. Acustom mount was used to secure the stand when not in use, I had a terrible time trying to fab a new spring mount that would actually work. I am using a Harley 8" billet headlamp, with custom mount, stock frt fender, rear fender is redone overstock Indian rear fender with custom built in rear struts. It sits very close to rear wheel. The fuel tank is a 1500 Vulcan tank that is has been streched 4" with a Harley screw in avaition style cap, Harley petcock now being used also. I rolled the nasty seam that all of the metric bike fuel tanks have to the inside, this gave the profile of the tank a nice smooth look. The seat is a redone custom piece that was streched to fit into the lower part of the fuel tank. The carbs have been rejetted, I am still fighting this battle, I am still way to lean with 145's in both carbs.I made custom aircleaner intake tubes from stainless 2 1/4" j bends and mounted small K&N car air cleaners to the ends. The exhaust uses pieces from the stock pipes, Harlet drag pipes, a piece of 3" stainless for a collector and an R6 stainless muffler that was shortened and gutted. I am sure that I have left some items out and I hope I haven't bored anybody. I bought this bike at a salvage sale over a year ago with plans to do exactly what I have done. I had a friend that was building minichoppers at the time and I felt that I could do better. I just could not justify building something that couldn't be ridden on the road, hence this project. This bike is not perfect and still needs some detail work performed. It sits very low. I can lay a block of 2X4 under the rear frame and raise the back wheel off the ground. This is why my kick stand was relocated, I almost crashed on my first ride! The bike sounds great, looks bad and is totaly home built with parts bought mostly from E-bay and the hardware store. I hope you like it. Art

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Wow... That's a whole lotta work but a great custom bike. Thanks for the info.

RB

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Art,

Can I list your bike at my VN750 "Cruiser Chops" site? I have a couple of other guys bikes on there that have been chopped or bobbed, and a little about making one of mine into a rigid. Need 2 or 3 photos of the finished bike, and I'll write the "customizations" off of your description posted above.

I feature chopped, bobbed, or slammed VN750's at: http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiserchops.htm

Thanks.

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Art. I have your bike posted on my site. Look at what I have to make sure I got it right. I have three really nice VN750 chops there now, and hope to add my 1990 model to the list in the near future. I find it interesting to see what each guy is doing to their bike. I've got a line on a couple of more VN750 chops, one in Puerto Rico and one here in Oklahoma. When they're done, they have told me they would send me photos to add to the list.

There's a link to your bike from my Cruiser Page at: http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiser.htm#VN750CHOPS

And the entry is on my Cruiser Chops page at: http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiserchops.htm#Art's

What year is your VN750? I'd like to add that to it. And, I'm not sure what name to use for you. I just used "Art" for now. It works for me, so let me know if you want that changed.

CD in Anadarko, OK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks great, the bike is a 2002 model with 2400 miles on it. It was originally involved in a garage/house fire, I think. All of the upper stuff was burnt and or melted. All of the controls, seat, paint and most of the upper plastics including the wiring harness was toast. I bought a manual and spent many hours deciphering the harness to bring the engine back to life. I failed to mention the paint, the tank and frt fender was painted with Standox premium paint, black base, flat sanded, flames were then masked off and pure red base applied, then clear coated. After clear dried, it was flat sanded again and then an adhesive small white pinstripe laid out and the whole mess was then cleared again. Then flat sanded again to achieve a seamless transition in the paint, no lines felt when running your hand over it. I then had everything recleared with a flat clear. The rest of my bike is actually flat black. I will take a couple of pics of my matching helmet to include with these photos. I am really excited of the interest in this bike. thanks again Art

P.S. I call my bike Rat On!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts