Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to winter projects here....... I would like to re-wire the bike in a more logical, reliable, and to that end: a stripped down simplified wiring of the entire bike. starting, charging, lighting, and so on.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! thanks slim.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Thanks hzhardy.. I couldn't find my diagram on photobucket, but yes.. that is exactly what I was looking for..
Dariv, you will need to buy a 1N4005 diode from RadioShack

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I'm looking over the diagrams now.
What's purpose does the diode serve?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slim, in your diagram, above the FBS, there is a block labeled DL.... is this for dash lights?
Also, the two switches coming from the diodes; is that the neu sw. and the clutch sw?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question...... has anyone worked out a replacement for the IC unit?

·
Registered
335 Posts
THe diodes each go to your safety swiyches ie neutral safety, clutchn and kickstand

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
DL is the Dash Lights, two switches were clutch and neutral. I ended up just going with the neutral switch. as for the CD.. I have an idea in the works, but not sure if it is going to work.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
It is a transistor controlled ignition box. With a little knowledge of electronics it shouldn't be hard to build. A lot of foreign cars use TCI ignition systems.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so has the ignition module been reverse engineered by someone here? I would be interested in seeing a circuit diagram if it has been done.....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I thought I had the diagram you are looking for, but I can't find it.. bets its on my laptop that has a busted screen.

On one of my other MC forums the idea of building a new CDI unit has been brought up due to the fact that the OEM ones aren't made for the bike any more... HERE is a link on how to make a generic CDI Module

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the B/W wire from the ignition box need the diode if it is wired direct to ground?
Seems like that diode is to keep the neutral indicator light from 'back feeding' a 12vdc potential to the ignition box via said B/W wire......

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
tried it direct to ground... didn't work.. i put the diode between blackwhite and ground and it works.. not sure why the diode is needed, but it is.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't suppose you have a link to a homemade R/R as well??

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
funny you should ask.. I tried making my own.. it is posable to retrofit an automitve Regultator and use it in pla ce of our regulator, and get a rectifier from Radio Shack... now the hard part... you have to change out the perminant magnet rotor and swap it out for an electro magnet... and doing this you will also need new pickup coils, and new ICB

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hummm..........sounds like a pain. I was thinking about a more modern R/R version.....there have been threads on the idea, or a homemade version to replace just the R/R....... or maybe just bolt an alternator on the bike someplace :motorcycl

1 - 20 of 29 Posts