Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thinking about giving spoked wheels a shot. I see that some honda's have shaft drive and spokes. I could get costume bearrings to make up for the differnces in ID and OD but i'm worried about how i'd get the shaft to match. Perhaps taking the engine end of the Vulcans shaft and cutting it then welding it to the honda's wheel end shaft.

Seems like a lot for spokes, but I love spokes.

Maybe just the front wheel spoked??

Any thoughts anyone??

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I've thinking about giving spoked wheels a shot. I see that some honda's have shaft drive and spokes. I could get costume bearrings to make up for the differnces in ID and OD but i'm worried about how i'd get the shaft to match. Perhaps taking the engine end of the Vulcans shaft and cutting it then welding it to the honda's wheel end shaft.

Seems like a lot for spokes, but I love spokes.

Maybe just the front wheel spoked??

Any thoughts anyone??
Just by a VN800 or VN900 or another brand with spokes. Most of here like the looks of the mag wheels on the VN750 and appreciate not having to go through the trouble that having spokes give. Our rims are tubeless - go with spokes and you will need a tube in most cases. Then there is the issue of keeping them clean and true. Nope. Too much trouble in my case.

I have a Nomad and a VN750 with cast mag wheels - I have actually turned away deals on bikes that had spokes. Me personally, I don't like the look and the trouble that are associated with spoked rims.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I agree with bulldog...the mag wheels were a big selling point for me when I decided on my vn750. I've probably owned 3 or 4 bikes with spokes and they are tough to keep clean....I have not had much problem with keeping spokes true, but the potential is there for additional maintenance. I actually had one bike where the bottom 1/3 of the rims were subjected to flood water for a week or so (in my dad's garage:() and the spokes all rusted below the waterline by the next season.

anyway, the vn750 rims wipe down nicely when cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Spokes are gay.

(not that there is anything wrong with that..)

Look nice on 50's MG's , or a Vincent, but alloy wheels are usualy stronger, lighter, and hassle free.

But to each his own...
It might not be too hard to find a front wheel you could use... You'd likely need the whole sheebang..wheels, rotors, caliphers, fender, and even forks.

Or you could take the front wheel to shop that makes custom wheels, and have them measure it, and then make you a wheel that LOOKS like an old spoke wheel...likely only cost you a few thousand...;)

KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'll do my best to avoid spoke wheels the rest of my life (except for my vintage bikes).

DT

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Spokes? :doh:
I want to spend my time riding not worrying about spokes and tubes and trueing and cleaning cleaning cleaning!
I'm sure it could be done, but it's just not my style

·
Registered
120 Posts
Spokes need to much clean up time, With the wheels we have a little mothers and elbow grease and presto! up and riding.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Actually, IIRC, some of the Vulcans I looked at wehen I was shopping for mine actually had spoke wheels. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 500.... Stick with the mags - you could always dress them up with some accents or paint...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Spokes?! Blasphemy!!:confused:

I doubt you will get any support on that matter here. You are on your own in your choice buddy if you decide to do it. Just get another bike with spokes and will be much easier for you, until you start slaving over them!;)

Pffff Spokes!

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
If you really want to knock yourself out and use spoked wheels, try to at least find some that have the spokes mount to the wheel rim through a flange and not directly through the rim itself. That way you can still run tubeless tires and cut down on some of the headaches. The 1986 Honda 450 Rebel had wheels like that and some of the new BMW bikes may.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/Honda-cmx450rebel.jpg/800px-Honda-cmx450rebel.jpg

You might also find some more pictures of 450 Rebel wheels at http://www.rebel250.com

Other than that, the hassle-free wheels that the VN750 came with were a huge selling point for me.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,681 Posts
spoked wheels are great!......on any bike but mine!

Actually, IIRC, some of the Vulcans I looked at wehen I was shopping for mine actually had spoke wheels. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 500.... Stick with the mags - you could always dress them up with some accents or paint...
that would be the vulcan 500, that has spoked wheels. from '97-'08, have spoked wheels and chain drive. the old style vulcan 500, has mag wheels and belt drive. the wife wants a vulcan 500, and this is why i will only look at the old style vulcan 500. she has a honda cm400t right now which has mag wheels also. mag wheels rule! they look better, are less of a hassle and stronger to boot! what's not to like about mag wheels?

but, hey, if spokes are your thing, then go for it! it's all good. it would be something different to see on a vn750. like i said, spokes are fine for any one but me. so go for it. it's your bike, time and money.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
fuzz
138 Posts
you can change the front wheel but not the rear . It would be cool to see a 21" on a vn750 . yeah it realy sucks that we can't change the rear wheels .:motorcycl

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
The 1996-97 Kawasaki ZL600B (600 Eliminator) shares a lot of parts with the VN750 (although it's engine is from a 600 Ninja). It has chrome spoked wheels and the rear wheel is shaft drive. The stock tire sizes are 100/90 18" in the front and 150/80 15" rear, and Kawasaki actually lists the rear tire as tubeless.

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/VIVehicleInformation/VIservicespecs.asp?intCatalogID=2&CatalogTypeID=4&ProductTypeID=45&ModelMarketingID=75&ModelCode=ZL600B2&ModelYear=1996&SHOWVEHTABS=1

On a separate note... ahem... I happen to have a 1996 600 Eliminator in fantastic condition that I was planning to sell this summer up at Americade in NY. I've never replaced my rear tire so I can't say for sure if it's tubeless or not, although I'm pretty sure the front tire needed a tube when it was replaced.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 1996-97 Kawasaki ZL600B (600 Eliminator) shares a lot of parts with the VN750 (although it's engine is from a 600 Ninja). It has chrome spoked wheels and the rear wheel is shaft drive. The stock tire sizes are 100/90 18" in the front and 150/80 15" rear, and Kawasaki actually lists the rear tire as tubeless.

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/VIVehicleInformation/VIservicespecs.asp?intCatalogID=2&CatalogTypeID=4&ProductTypeID=45&ModelMarketingID=75&ModelCode=ZL600B2&ModelYear=1996&SHOWVEHTABS=1

On a separate note... ahem... I happen to have a 1996 600 Eliminator in fantastic condition that I was planning to sell this summer up at Americade in NY. I've never replaced my rear tire so I can't say for sure if it's tubeless or not, although I'm pretty sure the front tire needed a tube when it was replaced.
It is a good thing you have the 600 not the 125cc Eliminator!:rockon:

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
OMG!! You are not going to believe this!

OK admittedly I'm at work and a bit bored and have some free time on my hands. So I went on the Kawasaki website and looked at their online parts microfiche. Remeber when I said that the Kawasaki 600 Eliminator and the 750 Vulcan shared a lot of parts?

1996 VN750
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Entire rear wheel drive gear assembly - PN# 13101
Coupler (that thing we're all supposed to lube with moly60) - PN# 42034
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

1996 ZL600B
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Coupler - PN# 42034A
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

Holy Kaw! So it would appear that if you actually got a hold of the chrome spoked rear wheel of a 1996/97 600 Eliminator you could probably just bolt it directly to the 750 Vulcan!

·
Registered
206 Posts

OK admittedly I'm at work and a bit bored and have some free time on my hands. So I went on the Kawasaki website and looked at their online parts microfiche. Remeber when I said that the Kawasaki 600 Eliminator and the 750 Vulcan shared a lot of parts?

1996 VN750
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

1996 ZL600B
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Coupler - PN# 42034A
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

Holy Kaw! So it would appear that if you actually got a hold of the chrome spoked rear wheel of a 1996/97 600 Eliminator you could probably just bolt it directly to the 750 Vulcan!
Interesting! Then Lashocker has his problems solved! He can have his bike "Eliminated":rockon:

·
fuzz
138 Posts
oh wow that is great , i will get a new wheel asap , i am sooooooo happy , i grealy dislike the wheels on the vn7 , all i need is the hub , then i can lase it with what ever color rim , and spokes that i need / want :beerchug: cheers
wow the posiblities just opened up , wow thank you ,,, :beerchug: cheers x2

1996 VN750
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

1996 ZL600B
Swingarm - PN# 33001
Coupler - PN# 42034A
Drive shaft - PN# 39158

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Hey glad to help! :pepper:

Before you buy anything double check your parts here: http://fiche.ronayers.com/ they have a reverse parts look up and you should be able to check that the parts you want fit the way you want them to.

Also FYI, bunch of people on this forum (including me) have odered parts from RonAyers before and we've been pretty happy with them.

If you do swap out your wheels remember to post pics of them!

Best of luck -Sloppy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts