Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid cager ran my bike over right outside my workplace. Security won't let me see the tapes citing privacy issues. They argue they would need a police warrant to do so. I have a description of the culprit, and she supposedly works around there. I'm fairly certain I will catch her one of these days and make her pay for what she did.
Here are the apparent damages:
Broken ignition switch (buying one from Dave)
Loose back fender and saddlebag supports (broken screw maybe?)
Bent break pedal (bend back into place?)
Bent brake handle (bend back into place?)
Please comment on how I ought to proceed. I highly appreciate any input. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
278 Posts
First of all, I'm sorry about your bike, bro. It totally sucks; and knowing how much work I've put into my bike (as I'm sure you have, too) I would be completely pissed.

I'm gonna make a couple assumptions here, based on what you've said above: 1) This was an accident and the cager didn't do this maliciously. 2) The at-fault party has insurance and by rights the damages should receive recompense.

I can't offer much help on the mechanical side of your situation, but indulge me in offering this bit of friendly advice. If my assumptions are correct, then treat this incident for what it is -- an accident. The cager may be stupid, irresponsible, etc, etc; and you may be mad as hell right now (which is natural); you may also be simply venting in your post (which this forum is a safe place to do that -- we understand). But, if you have any serious thoughts about getting revenge -- my friendly advice, brother, is let it go. It'll only cause you more grief and won't get your bike back on the road any faster.

I'll stop now, so I don't start preaching or meddling too much (maybe I should have quit at "sorry about your bike" LOL). Concentrate on getting your baby back together. Let's ride! [Back to minding my own business now].

John

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Replace both your brake pedal and lever. Those bits are too important to mess around with! I have one of each - pm and we can talk about a reasonable low price and how to ship to you.

BTW, I agree with what johnm says above - assume it's an accident and see if you can settle out with her. If what you've described is the bulk of the damage, she can pay for it out of pocket (and should!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all have very good advice. Especially Johnm, I appreciate your advice. What I meant by "make her pay" is exactly that. Make her pay pecuniarily for the damage she inflicted onto my property. I still don't know who this lady is. But I have enough description of her and of her vehicle that I will find her. I already took pictures of every silver sedan with a dent in the bumper. There were only two. And one had all kind of dirty decorations hanging from the rearview. So I would just need to find these owners and confirm that are asian and female.
KM, I did file a police report. So I should be covered from that side. The officer asked me to choose between criminal mischief and leaving the scene of an accident. He said she would be arrested when found were I to choose the latter option. So I chose the first option thinking she didn't know what she was doing. Maybe I was too nice.
But right now I'm just trying to get the bike back into running shape. I still don't know if it can start given that ignition switch is completely broken (pulled out of it's socket). Hopefully the damages amount to those I already listed.
Semper fi

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
/\ x2 !!!

This ain't no damn bicycle !

~~C8>

·
Registered
131 Posts
The police should be able to take care of the finding her, and insurance should take care of the making her pay (though don't settle for the first number they offer). You can probably get the parts/help from us for considerably less than it would typically cost to fix your scoot, but the insurance company has no way of knowing that. Besides, you deserve something for having your baby hurt...

As for the back fender, those things sometimes tear out some tin rather than breaking a bolt. I think there's only 4 bolts for the fender, so it should be pretty easy to check them.

Good luck,
Hippie

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Given that your ignition switch isn't looking too good, either, you might want to take it to a shop and have someone go over it with a fine-tooth comb. I assumed with the damage you described that she bumped it more than ran over it; but it sounds more serious than that. Have you tried to start it to make sure she didn't also fubar your engine in some way?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
/\ x2 !!!

This ain't no damn bicycle !

~~C8>
I would be just as pissed if she hit my bicycle and expect her to fix anything broken!
hope you/they find her!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for getting to replying so late. I have people on the lookout to spot her. I'm sure there aren't that many asian females driving a silver sedan around that area. I haven't been able to check the engine because I can't turn it on.
And the shops in NYC are always trying to fleece you. So I'm going to fix it up myself.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A little different scenario, A guy at work lost he bike, the love of his life, to the now ex-wife in the divorce. Pissed him off!! Went over to her new place to " make sure she couldn't enjoy the bike if he couldn't". Said he was GONNA BLOW IT UP. She was leaving on the bike with her new man and flipped him the bird. He blew up her car instead,,, but it didn't stop there. Fire spreading fast blew up the boyfriends car and caught the house on fire,,, burning it to the ground. Good news is the judge let him out after 13 months served. Judge told him "he has a bike and knows how he feels."You can really break a man up inside by messing with his bike.:BLAM:

·
2,521 Posts
What kind of employer wouldn't want to help find the culprit. Isn't that what the camera's are for anyway? I would talk to someone higher up in the company than the rent a cops.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
The kind where the boss drives a silver sedan!
Bronson

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a good suggestion Bronson, but she isn't the boss. Trust me on this. I think a cover up is going on here for the guards who were on duty. One of them either went over but did nothing to alarm the authorities, or they weren't aware at all. The latter case is even worse because it shows how utterly incompetent they are. Someone will answer to what happen, that I promise.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I agree. If you filed a report, the police should be able to get the video. But, they may not let you see it, as it is private property. If they have seen it, maybe it didn't identify anything, or maybe those "guards" somehow managed to misplace or erase it. That would be tough to prove.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts