Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change my antifreeze coolant on my VN 700 vulcan 1985 mod, so my question is which coolant should i use for my bike?

·
Banned
448 Posts
You will want an antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum engines. You will want a 50/50 mix or 60/40 mix of antifreeze to water.
Any reputable antifreeze maker will have a good one to use. I will be changing mine this spring, and I plan on using Dex Cool but it's just a matter of preference.
I'm sure one of the other members will say which is the better one.
There is a link on here to get a manual if you don't already have one on the proper way to flush and refill the system.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The green coolant is easier to see the level in the rad overflow tank than the yellow stuff.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
the green one is that G48?
Never seen a G48 designation. Don`t know what that means.
Just open a jug at the store and look at the contents. You want green ethylene glycol that is safe for aluminum. Prestone or any brand name supplier should be fine.
As I recall, you want to avoid anything with silicates in it.

Link to Verses on which coolant to use.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095
There is some controversy even here, so read it all.
It seems the old green antifreeze was silicate based, but the newer stuff is not.

Read the label on the jug to be sure it is safe for aluminum.

EDIT: Just checked jug of NAPA antifeeze.
It is GREEN in color and the label says LOW SILICATE, SAFE FOR USE IN ALUMINUM ENGINES.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Not sure where you live, but freezing is not a concern, I'd use DI water and Water Wetter. Much better at transferring heat than AF.

Jon

·
Registered
738 Posts
I am about to change my antifreeze coolant on my VN 700 vulcan 1985 mod, so my question is which coolant should i use for my bike?
As the previous threads indicate, the antifreeze brands found in auto/moto shops will do. You decide which brand or color you like best. However, regardless of antifreeze brand only distilled or deionized water should be used. Do not use water from the tap, well, rain, etc.

Distilled water is available in every pharmacy in the USA. Deionized from specialty stores (i.e., Whole Foods).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts