Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday the wife and I were at the motorcycle show. we were talking to kawasaki dealer guy and he told us that 2009 will be the last year the vulcan 500 will be made!
well the vulcan 500 had a good run. (19 years) but not as good as the vulcan 750! (over 20 years)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
yesterday the wife and I were at the motorcycle show. we were talking to kawasaki dealer guy and he told us that 2009 will be the last year the vulcan 500 will be made!
well the vulcan 500 had a good run. (19 years) but not as good as the vulcan 750! (over 20 years)
Dang, do they think we should all be on a Road King...:doh:...
I guess it just boils down to, not enough jingles for the shingles...:rockon:...
Have a good one...Old dog...

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
Come on you sissys! dont you know we are all supposed to be big manly men on huge hardlys! maybe they will replace the 500 with ANOTHER 900...they seem to be fond of them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
if they are gonna discontinue the 500, then they should bring back the 750. that 500 is a nice lookin bike

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
if they are gonna discontinue the 500, then they should bring back the 750. that 500 is a nice lookin bike
I agree but I think the problem is that people are trending towards the bigger engines, even newbies. If it doesn't have that typical v-twin look, its not going to be an easy sell. Blame shows like OCC and Motorcycle Mania and combine that with peoples natural vanity. I didn't want to be one of those newbies that jumps on a 1200 just to have it come out from underneath me. My VN750 offered plenty to get used to but I did go with the 750 because its a v-twin, and looks like one. I remember when first learning to ride thinking, "man I should've gotten something smaller." The power was suprising...

·
Registered
707 Posts
nowadays noone wants a bike under 750cc's... even sportbikes... im sure the 600's are going to be gone soon.... you know how things are... if its bigger its better.....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
you know how things are... if its bigger its better.....
Yep, just like scooter's any more. Who'd think something called a "scooter" would have a 600cc + engine?!?!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
The Vulcan 500 hasn't been available in CA for a couple years now IIRC. The trend is (as others have said) been towards bigger CC engines, at least for cruisers. While it does happen with sportbikes, a lot of the focus is not so much on CCs as it is HP. The 600 class definitely won't go away becasue the manufacturers have to manufacture and sell them to be able to race them. Plus, WAY too many sport riders see a 125HP 600CC RR or SS bike as a "beginner" bike which they'll "outgrow" inside a few moths and upgarde to a 1000CC bike with 185HP at the rear wheel. Those are usually the ones you read about who met a very tragic end (double the limit on a side street at night with no gear hitting an 18 wheeler). Personally, I'm happy with my Ninjas (250 and 650) and my 650CC cruiser. I may eventually get an inline 4 600 CC bike (Yami FZ6R - not to be confused with the R6) just for variety, not because I've outgrown anything. I may never own anything bigger than a 650 and I doubt I'll be missing anything.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, I did go by the new dealer in our neighborhood this weekend. And I did see something bigger that did catch my eye, I'm pretty sure the price tag will keep it out of my driveway for quite some time. They have some very expensive toys in their inventory. ;)

http://www.ihot.us/catalog/photos.cfm?PID=445/URL]Vicotry Hammer

·
Registered
707 Posts
yeah im looking at a katana 750... because im fat... i rode the 600 and it seemed to be overworking itself to handle my big ass.. haha

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes the victory hammer and the rest of the victory bikes are very nice looking. but for me that is as far as I will go. they are too big and way too much $ for me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Maybe it's just the 6th gear that has me interested. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
They also killed the Meanstreak. All the new Kaw cruisers are 1700's, belt driven, with 6 speeds.

I have two museum pieces in my garage now, Vulcan VN750-A9 and Vulcan Meanstreak VN1500P1, love them both. Nothing in Kawasaki's line up now that I like.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
They also killed the Meanstreak. All the new Kaw cruisers are 1700's, belt driven, with 6 speeds.

I have two museum pieces in my garage now, Vulcan VN750-A9 and Vulcan Meanstreak VN1500P1, love them both. Nothing in Kawasaki's line up now that I like.

Jon
really! I didn't know that. I really like the Meanstreak too. a little too big for me, but I still like it. as for Kawasaki's line up (and any one elses) I don't really like anything, I think everything look just like the next bike.

·
Registered
802 Posts
really! I didn't know that. I really like the Meanstreak too. a little too big for me, but I still like it. as for Kawasaki's line up (and any one elses) I don't really like anything, I think everything look just like the next bike.
That was one thing I liked about the 750. Didn't have the same jug design every other model has, didn't have the same air intake they all seem to use, there's a long list of things it didn't have that everyone else seems to copy from each other.

Too bad they couldn't bring back the same design, and maybe they could make it an 1100 or 1200 to compete with the bigger bores.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Since the VN750 & the Meanstreak are gone, I kinda like the looks of the Suzuki S83, then maybe the Sportster, but that is about as far as it gets...
At least it don't look like you are riding a big foundered bull...:doh:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts