Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this back in june (an 86) after searching for a project some time.

It had been standing for 5 years, last time it started it was going bad and only on one cylinder. It had no battery and looked miserable - so i said ill take it, over the phone without even seeing it.

First thing i wanted to do before i took it apart any more was to see if i could get it to start, so i cleaned the carburators in ultrasonic bath. Cleaned the gastank with some acid to take all the rust away, got some new gaskets for the fuel switch. After a while i got it started and running on both cylinders. Phew!

I did a little testrun to check the gearbox, clutch etc and man did that put a smile on my face 😎

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The engine is now out of the frame. Ive rejetted the carbs for some new k&n open filters, ears thrown away. I also added some resistance in the Raask straight pipes.

Engine is up for cleaning and black paint. Frame aswell. Rims have been polished. An aftermarket meanstreak seat is on its way here. Uhm.. thats pretty much what ive done so far.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
121 Posts
Looks like it's going to turn out great. Nice job saving it it's future in the trash heap!
Very very cool. I similarly picked up a project bike, totally stock 2001 VN750 in Oct. Exact same initial projects: Gas tank, Petcock, Carbs. I am going slowly (but surely?) to get it back to stock running condition before I start any projects. Really awesome seeing all the great things you are doing. Just great.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
121 Posts
Very very cool. I similarly picked up a project bike, totally stock 2001 VN750 in Oct. Exact same initial projects: Gas tank, Petcock, Carbs. I am going slowly (but surely?) to get it back to stock running condition before I start any projects. Really awesome seeing all the great things you are doing. Just great.
My bike has sat for seven+ years outside. The gas was black and hardened in places and corroded the brass jets and welded/ruined the petcock and needle jet.

Did you have any issue with the diaphragms in the coasting enrichers? What did you do to cover the reed valves?

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
121 Posts
My bike has sat for seven+ years outside. The gas was black and hardened in places and corroded the brass jets and welded/ruined the petcock and needle jet.

Did you have any issue with the diaphragms in the coasting enrichers? What did you do to cover the reed valves?
Are you re-chroming any parts? I soaked my carbs in soap and water and sprayed out with Chem Tool but haven't tried ultra-sonic. Is it pricey? I have to see if there is a reasonable service here in N. Calif.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
A chrome rear fender. Hmm

Valve cover did polish up nicely.

Don't know what shops charge to do ultrasonic cleaning, but I bought a $50 ultrasonic unit from Amazon and it works like magic, used it today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man that chromed head cover looks awesome,and K&N's always bring back memories of Springsteen and Scotty running their XR-750s. Enjoying your project. I used to have a full workspace, but no longer. Give thanks for what you've got. :)
It is polished, im planning on polishing the side engine covers aswell - will only ride on sunny days around town 😎 so i dont need to worry about much dirt getting to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Ouff - and i thought my bike was bad.. The diaphragms seemed to be ok but since the revdown is slow i might buy some new ones and see if it helps. Reed valves were already blanked.

No rechroming, im about to paint the chromed fenders black, also the shocks (but not the springs) and the other chromed parts. I might go stiff back to bring the rear end down abit.

I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, i run alot of things there but i wish i had a bigger with more power.

The fuel lines is aftermarket wich sat on the bike when i got it but they are a little to big so i will look for alternatives.
Filter screens were ok but the petcock ”elbows” are worn and pops out easily.
I had some trouble with the diaphragm, tried different springs i had to finally get it working properly. A new petcock is about 80$ and that would have saved me some headache.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
A Yamaha TW200 petcock will fit. It does away with the vacuum operation and is usually low priced. Just need to use a tee to split the fuel lines for each carb.

Ebay is a good source for your bike parts.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
121 Posts
A Yamaha TW200 petcock will fit. It does away with the vacuum operation and is usually low priced. Just need to use a tee to split the fuel lines for each carb.

Ebay is a good source for your bike parts.
Thanks Spockster. I got a cheap $10 one that only has a single fuel output line vs the dual lines on the OEM, and it has a smaller than 1/4" vacuum connection. It will require a tee-fitting for the dual fuel hoses, and an adapter from 5/32" to 1/4" for the vacuum. If I can source those easily I will try it first before going to other options. I really would prefer going back to full OEM for the $80-$90 for now. I have concerns that the TW200 gravity feed would not be as positive as a full functioning vacuum feed.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
There's a rebuild kit for the stock petcock, about $22/ebay.

Make sure the fuel lines don't run uphill to the carbs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts