Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took a pic of my Angel before I started. Could be the last time I see her whole.;) Then I got started. took the tins off first. Lurch inspired me to finally get a paint job. A friend of mine does paint work. I'm going to make a few suggestions and let him have artistic license with it.

Then is was into the real work. I've gotten as far as getting the carbs off. Had to run some errands this morning. After I finish looking over the forums it's back out into the fantastic weather to see how much further I can get in the stator replacement. I guess I should order a TOC mod.

Thanks for the confidence to try this people. I'll be checking in at the end of the day.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
With all the help available here and at the Y! group, I don't think you'll have any problems (aside from the seemingly mandatory cursing now & then, which happens with most any project of this magnitude)

Take your time, be sure to seperate/mark all the nuts & bolts, and you'll be riding again before ya know it !!!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
With all the help available here and at the Y! group, I don't think you'll have any problems (aside from the seemingly mandatory cursing now & then, which happens with most any project of this magnitude)

Take your time, be sure to seperate/mark all the nuts & bolts, and you'll be riding again before ya know it !!!
And if you have a digital camera, take pics as you disassemble. Can't tell ya how many times I've gone back to my files to see what went where before I started messin' with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well day 2. Going slowly. All prepped. Just need to drop the engine now. Only hitch has been one bolt on the right side exhaust snapped. Also one bolt on the exhaust cover stripped. Angel looks down right anorexic. The other thing. The front spline was dry and rusty!!! Had to use the handle of a screwdriver to tap it off the front bezel gear housing. Used some of the lube my local bike shop provided me to grease it up. I've also been putting a bead of dielectric grease on all the fittings as I disconnect them

Well here goes an attempt at downloading pics...

Before and after the diet.

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks like ya got things going mostly your way :smiley_th A snapped exhaust bolt could easily be expected on a bike that age. Good to hear it was only one.
Before ya start working on getting the motor out, it'd be a good idea to secure the center stand to the forks with a tiedown/ratchet strap or even some rope, to eliminate the chance of the bike moving forward and down from the stand (they certainly come down alot easier than going up)
The motor falling on a leg is nothing compared to a bike falling on the whole body !!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah actually I had a cargo strap from the stand to the engine guard. But since it is removed now! I will have to put it on the forks. Once the engine is out seems to me there really isn't much weight left on the bike. I can practically lift it off the trailer now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
dont mean to hi-jack- but thats an excellent looking bike! where did you get that seat? i want it! heh.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The saddle is a Corbin. It was on the bike when I bought it. The extended back rest is a Kawasaki part. I had to modify it a little to get it to work with the Corbin saddle. The saddle is firmer than the stock, and lowers the height by an inch or so. I'm happy with it. In fact I may end up looking for another one if I wear this one out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday's work.

Pulled the sub frame and through bolts. At this point I decided it would be prudent to have someone else around for a bit of assistance. Call a few friends and found one with time and willing to make the hour drive to my house.
In the mean time I pulled the wheel and checked the rear spline. Broke a 17mm wrench in the process. Splines looked fine, cleaned, re-lubed, and reinstalled the rear wheel. Once my friend arrived we wiggled the engine out, after removing the coolant reservoir. I replaced the stator. Looked like a few windings were fried. (Pics to come) Wiggled the engine back in place. Started the grill. Noticed we forgot to put the expansion chamber back in! :doh: Wiggled the engine out enough to squeeze the chamber back in. Made sausages and had a great dinner. Thanked my friend incessantly before he left for home.:blah: Then reinstalled the reservoir. Cleaned up my mess and sent a PM to DMAG for his bike! :pepper: An eventful day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I reinstalled the mounting bolts, subframe, front bezel gear housing, as I was about to install the brake pedal assembly, UPS pulls up with Jardine forwards from Brion B. Good deal man!!! He couldn't have planned it better. After having soaked the snapped post on the right side exhaust manifold overnight, I cut flats on iether side with my dremel. Took vise grips and a hammer tapped the bolt as I tried turning it out. No luck. So its off to the local shop to see if they can extract it tomorrow. Then back to putting my angel back together.

Temporary hickup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
find someone that can weld and just spot weld another bolt to the broken post, wait a few minutes, and then remove as normal-- i've done it several times with 100% success so far.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like a good idea, I guess the heat might even help to loosen it. I'm pretty sure the boys over at my local shop will have a magic trick to use on it. If they have room I'll let them have a crack at it. They will probably have a replacement post as well. Since the owner is a member of my local chapter of the SCRC. I know he will take good care of me. He was actually happy when I decided to give the stator repair a shot myself. Likes to see us members be more self reliant with our bikes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chapter 2...

My brother in law (professional auto mechanic) tried to get the bolt out by using heat from a torch. Snapped off further down in the hole. He had a mechinist friend take both studs out and replace em. I put the exhaust on the other day. Today I was putting on all the bits and pieces and the cooling system. Fed Ex pulls up with the new R/R (yipee!). Well I put everything back together. Try a quick start on her. Battery is a little bit low. SO I get out the charger, disconnect the battery, and put it on charge.

Thats when I notice the hose! Oops. The one thats supposed to go behind the radiator, goes from the expansion chamber to the front cylinder. While I'm putting that back on it dawns on me... coolant! Yeah gotta put some back in! Duh. Anyway, I decide to give her a once over. One more hose, it's the carb vent hose, from the T to the back of the right ear. I'll get to that later. Okay everything is refilled, bolts tight, hoses attached. Battery charged. A couple chugga chuggas, and vroom! BIG GRIN. Okay grab the volt meter. Wait a minute. 15+ volts at the battery!!!! Could that be right? I thought it was only supposed to got to like 14! I have a job to do tomorrow so I wont be able to put the seat and tins on till later in the day.

So should it read that many volts at the battery, or did Bike Bandit send me the wrong R/R?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
What is the battery voltage with the engine off? 15 Vdc at idle is too high.
A fully chrged battery is less than that by itself.

How accurate is the battery gauge?

Jon

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was 15+ at 3k rpm. I've done a search and it does look a bit high, but not alarmingly so. I'm going to give her a shakedown run tomorrow afternoon. Make sure I have my cell phone with and charged. At least it's better than the mere 12 or less when at 3k!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
humm, even with my frankenstator, i dont hit that high... i top out at 14.8 IIRC at 6k rpms.... check the output from your stator (disconnect it from your r/r and check the 3 yellow wires... set voltmeter to ac, range is from 8vac-115vac)

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
The Volt meter could be the culprit as well. Their are many diffrent kinds of meters. If it's a true RMS meter, It could be correct. If it's an older analog meter, the calabration could be off as well.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a new cheepazoid meter from Harbor tool and freight (rapidly becoming my favorite store). I trust the meter even thought its cheep. It was reading that up around the 3k rpm range so I think I'm okay. My buddies honda goldwing generates 18 volts. I took Angel for a 12 mile test ride today after topping her off from her 5 min warm up last night. She seems to be running fine, no leaks found, nothing strange, even sounds a little quieter now. Then checked the wires to the R/R, they didn't seem warm. The R/R was even reasonably cool. Kept reading good voltage at the new Show Chrome LED meter. Needed to top the coolant again. Will be watching for leaks on the coolant system. The new Jardine forward controls are sweet!!! Much more comfy for me. Thanks Brion B! All in all I think I managed to fix it without causing any troulbe!! :pepper: :beerchug: :rockon: And here she is My risen Angel, and the R/R relocation plate.

Attachments

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
That sure is a purdy bike you got there. I like the Forward controls too...Maybe one day soon, I'll be looking for some....

Harbor Freight is a regular stop for me. Kinda like Wal-Mart for tools. That's where my bike lift came from...Sure does come in handy......

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've looked at that bike lift more than once now. If I had a garage I'm sure I would have bought it by now. Since I have no place to work on the bike indoors, and only a gravel drive, I use my folding trailer ( from harbor tool and freight ) as a place to work on the bike. I'm building a PVC frame to hang a tarp from so I can at least keep Angel out of the rain. I keep her in the garden shed unless I'm working on her. No room for that in there. Thanks for the compliments on her. By the way if you have a fire and steel engine guard it wont fit with the Jardine forwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts