Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it started out as a nice day. A beautiful spring day here in NJ. A day off of work. Why not take the Vulcan out for a ride.
...my nice ride lasted about 15 miles. Riding down a country type two lane road. Two cars in front of me both signaled and slowed down to make a left turn. I tapped my brakes a few times and then came to a stop behind them. Apparently the woman in the Jeep behind me didn't feel it was necessary to stop and proceeded to plow right into me!
Somehow I stayed upright after the impact and just jumped off the bike. Never went down and didn't move forward into the car in front of me. I feel extremely lucky today. The only injury is a bruise on my right knee. I think I jammed it into the gas tank.
I freaked out bad on this woman. Screaming at her so much that onlookers came over to calm me down. Drove her to tears. I feel a little bit bad (just a little) about how I reacted, but the adrenaline was pumping and she was arguing that it wasn't her fault. I was actually lectured by one of the cops later about how I shouldn't have been so hard on her because I upset her so much. Amazing! She's a little upset...I wonder if I would have upset her more if I left there in an ambulance.
Soooo...that was my day!
PLEASE be careful out there everyone!

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
Holy Crap from the looks of that picture, you're one lucky man. You might want to put a couple extra bucks in the collection plate this Sunday.

I'm glad you're doing well. Hope you can ride again soon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you reacted just fine. Glad you were able ok enough to give her a piece of your mind. That's what counts and hopefully she'll pay a bit more attention to what's ahead of her. On a final thought = the damage to your bike just sucks. I'd like to know how the insurance works out on fixing/replacing your bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I keep looking at that thinking of other ways it might have turned out. I do feel lucky. Weird thing is though...the odometer stopped at 12,666.

I guess it's gonna be a while before I get an idea what insurance is going to do. This had to happen on a Friday. Plus I didn't have collision coverage on the bike so I have to wait on her insurance company now.

This is the second time I have had a Vulcan destroyed because of someone else's carelessness. Back in '99 I also had a '93 750 just like this one. A guy pulled out in front of me and stopped. We met briefly as I flew by (and off of) his windshield. For what that crash was, I was also extremely lucky. I did take a trip to the ER, but left the same night with just a few broken bones and some stitches where his windshield was removed from me.
After that it took me ten years to get back on a bike. Now after only having been back riding since last summer, this happens.
I am just wondering now of course....how much more do I push my luck?
I want to get right back on...but...

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Wow, glad you're ok. That could've went a whole lot worse for you.

I don't know what to say about that lady...I'd have gone off on her the same, and here in MI, if a person rear-ends anybody for any reason it's always the fault of the person who does the hitting. Some silly stuff about always having to be in control of your vehicle, and paying attention, and blah-blah-blah. I wonder what super-duper outside force prevented her from maintaining control of her own vehicle, and forced her to hit you...

Anyway, I'm glad you're ok, and will be able to ride again, if you choose to.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Glad to see you made it out alive after seeing the bike. Yes, you did the right thing by correcting her unsafe driving. Did the LEO say anything to her or just you for saying something to her?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, he did talk to her too. I didn't hear the conversation, but according to him he told her that she was completely at fault. He says he tried to explain to her why I reacted the way I did. I don't know exactly what he told her, but he did recommend that I didn't talk to her anymore. Whatever...I just hope she learned something today...
..or just quits driving.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looks like she wanted to ride 2up!!!

Seriosly, glad to here you're OK and X222222 on hoping she learned something, just wish is wasn't at your...I mean her insurance company's expense..

Hold on to your beloved bike, and MAKE THE INS. PAY UP AND FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (doesn't look totaled from the pic, but I could be wrong)..

:beerchug:Here's to hoping that you and your bike are back in the wind soon!!:beerchug:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And again.... WOW.. :wow: Really glad you're OK!!
I most likely woulda acted the same way to someone who had just tried to shorten my bike!!
Wish ya all the best in getting a fair settlement outta the bum deal!!

And great job on keeping control (of the bike) after the hit!! :smiley_th

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hold on to your beloved bike, and MAKE THE INS. PAY UP AND FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (doesn't look totaled from the pic, but I could be wrong)..
I don't know if it's repairable or even worth it. The rear wheel is jammed up against the frame. The wheel won't even turn without a lot of effort. Took the tow guys a while to get it on the rollback. I would have to imagine there's some damage to the frame and the drive shaft.

....but the shop I bought it from has a 2004 750 for about $3900. hmmm...maybe I'll head over there this week!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Dude, I am glad you are alive. That idiot behind you was lucky you didn't go "postal" on her behind. I hope she at least got a ticket from the LEO. This is why i couldn't be a cop....I would write so many tickets on people like her...the city coffers would overflow with money....I say get another bike soon....don't give this crap too much power. If it helps...more high visibility gear and rear lights if it makes you feel better ...these cagers need all the help they can get. (Can I add anymore ....'s in this reply?)....

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Man-o-man you were lucky she didn't plow straight through you from behind. Bet she was texting or talking on her cell phone. Obviously she wasn't paying attention and she could easily have killed you, if it weren't for the grace of God. Nothing you could have said to her (or screamed at her) can in any way relieve her of any responsibility for this accident. It's totally her fault, and her fault alone.

That being said, and for everyone else's benefit, here's what I learned in my MSF basic and experienced riders courses. When we stop at a light, or stop sign, or for any other reason, keep your bike in first gear with the clutch held in and be constantly aware of what's closing in behind and around you. Have an escape route clearly marked out in your mind and be prepared to move quickly if someone seems to be getting close. It's very important to leave enough space between you and whoever is in front of you so you aren't pinned in without the ability to get around quickly. It also gives you some wiggle room if someone stops just a few inches behind you. You can move forward a bit so in case they get hit from behind they won't plow into you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I haven't had the MSF class formally. I have, however, read the books and watched videos then went and practiced what I learned. Saved my butt and the bike more than once. However, I have found that when I give myself the "wriggle room" and inch forward to get the space. The cager behind me moves up also and closes the gap. So to combat this, when I am coming to a stop I will note the open holes (i.e. spots between cars, areas next to a curb) I know I can fit in and actually stop with distance between me and the vehicle in front. Plus, at a slight angle pointed toward the open hole. Not everyone will agree with this practice. But, it works for me. Especially where phones and inexperienced drivers are concerned.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Let my chime in with my "glad you're OK" and while it probably wasn't your finest moment (while you were chewing her out), I hope that she got a clue out of it. Cagers just don't realize (or even care to think about) what kind of damage (to both the bike and the rider) their 4000 pound behemoths can do, even at relatively low speeds. I'm sure that to her, it was just a little bump. To your poor Vulcan, it was obviously something a little more.

Hope that she learned a lesson about driving, but knowing dimwits like her, she probably only learned not to hack off a biker (not a bad lesson to learn, but not what you were going for)...

--FA

·
Registered
335 Posts
glad your ok, i just recovered from totaling my bike as well. they will not be able to fix the bike to factory unless you transplant parts from onother frame (timely and expensive) but you could custum like i am currently doing!!! it should roll once you remove the fender. i have seen some frames on ebay for pretty cheap if you want to pocket the ins money and transplant all the parts. just a few ideas. again, i am glad you are ok.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
...I have found that when I give myself the "wriggle room" and inch forward to get the space. The cager behind me moves up also and closes the gap. So to combat this, when I am coming to a stop I will note the open holes (i.e. spots between cars, areas next to a curb) I know I can fit in and actually stop with distance between me and the vehicle in front. Plus, at a slight angle pointed toward the open hole.
Good idea! Same concept, have an escape route and be ready to enter it.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Wow man, glad you are OK. As many others have said, I would have reacted the same way on that woman. In fact with my temper, I'm sure I would have had her completely balling and would have told that cop to kiss my butt about upsetting the woman that could have just killed me.

This is why I'm always watching my mirrors and keep it in gear when stopped, just in case I need to make an evasive maneuver.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts