Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Another Radio/Intercom

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  MokiMan 
#1 ·
I'm about to order one of these so we'll have it by the Ky Lake trip. I've looked at a lot of different radios for bikes and this one seems to have the right combination of features, for me anyways. I'll pick up a cheaper handheld at Wally World for the van.

I'll report back on it when I get it mounted and working on my 1600.

#2 ·
MokiMan said:
I'm about to order one of these
One of what!! What brand?;)

#4 ·
cool... You say this will work on the cheap WM family radios? I won't be able to afford a bike system like this b4 KL, but may bring my family radio walkie-talkies and see if I can pick up a cheap headset. Not perfect but will give us a little comm capacity on the ride up there (and on any group rides).

BTW... like your new avatar. Too small to see much detail...is that you (a LOOOONG time ago!)? What are you riding?

#5 ·
If ur radio is FRS (Family Radio Service) or GMRS (don't know) on 462-467MHz, we should be able to communicate. The 11X has 22 channels which should make it work with most of the radios out there.

Yup, that's me at about 19, if I remember right, about '67. That was my first bike - a '64 or '65 Honda Dream 300. Scanned that image from a worn, damaged Polaroid my mom had saved. I'm still looking for a better picture somewhere. The location I believe is Merritt Island, FL. I'm still looking for my Norton pics. If I ever find 'em one of those will become my avatar.

#6 ·
MokiMan said:
If ur radio is FRS (Family Radio Service) or GMRS (don't know) on 462-467MHz, we should be able to communicate. The 11X has 22 channels which should make it work with most of the radios out there.
They're Motorola T5100. Nothing on the handsets indicates MHz and looking online it only says 14 channels FRS. Found a PDF online of the owners manual that says "operates in the frequency range of 450 MHz to 470 MHz." If you want to hold off buying a walkie talkie for your wife in the van, I'm going to bring both my handsets and she's welcome to use one.

Apparently VOX doesn't work on these so I'll be PTT but that shouldn't be a problem

#7 ·
AHA... found this in the manual
Channel MHz
Channel MHz

#10 ·
The new Nady Communicator came in yesterday while I was in Augusta. Opened it up this afternoon after I got in, installed new batteries and fired it up. No display. It comes on and beeps like it's suppose to but the digital display refuses to work. I called the seller's 800 # and they were very nice and cooperative. A new one goes out tomorrow and they pay shipping. I just have to send the old one back. That's pretty good service.

Looks like it'll be next week before I get the new one. :(

#11 ·
If you get one of those to work really well, let me know, I may want one for me and wife.

#12 ·
Got the new Nady M/C Communicator hooked up for our ride over into NE Alabama y'day. Didn't get a chance to use the radio part but the intercom works swell.

The headset that comes with the unit is a dual headphone type and I had no trouble installing it into my helmet with the Velcro pads that come with it. You have to use this unit for the master because it has the extra button for remote PTT. The second headset (bought seperately) is a simpler one-piece type that has only one headphone. It fit very nicely into Kathy's helmet and stayed secure with the provided Velcro mtg pads.

I did have a little trouble with the master unit's mic mounting (velcro to the side of the helmet). The Velcro glue melted in the hot sun and the mic kept falling off. This morning, I pulled the Velcro pad from the mic mounting tab and cleaned all the gooey glue off both parts. After it was clean and dry I glued the Velcro ("loop" side) back onto the mic mounting tab with thick CA (cyanoacrylate) glue. The "Krazy Glue" stuff you see at Wal-Mart should work for this, too. The mic now stays where it suppose to when you stick it to the "hook" side of the Velcro on the helmet.

The other little challenge was what to do with the cable that comes out of the back of the helmet so that it was stress-relieved. I cut a piece of black plastic (started life as a carrier card for a 10mm socket from Lowe's), drilled two holes in it and tie-wrapped it to the head of the cable, where all the little cables from the earphones and mike come together. I then stuck the Velcro halves to the helmet and plastic piece. The Velcro holds it solid enough to the back of the helmet so there's no stress on the other small cables attached to it.

For our ride, I just clipped the unit to my belt and didn't hook up the PTT button since we weren't intending to use the radio part. Both headsets plug into the top of the unit and once we figured out the procedure, getting everything hooked up and working when we mounted the bike was a piece o' cake. I'm thinking though about how I want to set up a semi-permanent handlebar mount for the unit with all the cables hidden and only the plugs for the headsets exposed.

We were able to converse easily with the unit while riding even though the ambient noise level was fairly high. The mics picked up and amplified the bike and road noise as well as our speech but it wasn't annoying, just something to get use to. Looks like you probably wouldn't want to use VOX for radio use for that reason - too many false tx triggers. The extra PTT button that comes with the headset is made to mt to the handlebars with its built-in velcro strap.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the Nady MRC-11X Motorcycle Radio Communicator. Kathy and I don't have to yell at each other when we're riding now, which is a good thing. :)

MokiMan
VROC #9014
GAVROC #65
TNVROC #41(H)
Rolling Blunder #144

'04 VN1600 Big Red http://tinyurl.com/34onh
Rome, GA Southern Cruisers: http://home.earthlink.net/~romancruiser/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.