Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Another problem yet again

1K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  mmart 
#1 ·
Ok so to start off my bikes fan is hooked to a switch that I manually have to turn on. Some reason today I forgot to flip it on since I was riding around town on such a hot day at speeds mainly under 40 mph....

well I noticed my voltage meter hooked to my bike was flashing at me. It would drop 7-10v and flash that means it’s not charging.

I just put a new R/R on couple days ago but heard a slight crackling sound maybe? Kinda like running a car over a freshe paved road and the tar coming up and smacking the vehicle is what it sounded like.

Well any how that lead me to pull over and look everything over, that’s when I noticed my fan switch was off and my battery was not charging. I went straight home and sure enough once I shut it off battery was to dead to crank it back over...

It looks to me my bike was running hot? I will upload a picture if someone could let me know if I was overheating to bad or not? As I’m not familiar with the bike yet.

I went to wiggle the wires on R/R to insure no loose wires and my finger hit the R/R and burnt the **** out of me. It’s was pretty damn hot! No possible way to hold it in your hand without wanting to drop it. Sooo did I just fry my new R/R from bike getting hot? Pic uploaded the needle was actually behind the little thermostat/heat marking before I got home. In the picture it shows on front/on it

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Bike cooled off, so I went to start it after charging the battery and it was showing good charging voltage.... should I go ahead and replace the R/R again anyways or is the stator having a problem? Stator is newish as well. Not even 100 miles on it

#3 ·
For what it's worth, your picture shows "normal driving temperature". That's maybe about where the fan would normally kick on. Hotter than that and you start getting into "running hot" and up by the red you're "overheating".

Are you sure your fan relay isn't causing a short-to-ground when the thermostat triggers it even though it is no longer powering your fan?

Where is your R/R? Under the goat belly or relocated to the side? It can get hot, but not SUPER hot. Melting insulation off of wires hot is too hot.

If you're showing good voltage when cool, your R/R is probably not toasted. A bad stator would just reduce the voltage in the system.

#7 ·
I'd recommend moving the R/R.

And never assume anything! I'd double check that the trigger wire from the cooling fan temp sensor to the junction box is disconnected.

#9 ·
Alright so I checked the switch the prong is broken with no wire connected.... so I went into my manual looking to see what color the wire was leading to that switch...

And I found this (pic uploaded) what you will be looking at is the wire that runs to the switch being used as a power source for Togo switch for the fan......

Attachments

#10 ·
Hopefully moving the R/R will fix the heat-related issues.

Just an FYI on that wire for the toggle switch, it's still running through the relay before it gets to that point. If you have continued problems, the relay may somehow be at fault, even if it's fully functional, just by adding resistance to the circuit (slowing the fan speed?) since the circuit runs through the relay's primary coil. Running a wire straight from the battery might be necessary down the road. If the previous owner added a switch it was probably because the relay went bad, and if the relay went bad, and you're still using half of it, that's shady territory! Hopefully it'll work without problem for years just how it is.

Question for the masses: What's the amperage draw of the fan? Stock it's only running through the main 30 amp fuse. Would it blow out a 10 amp if someone were to try to run it off the accessory wires?

#12 ·
That's what I'd do. Better to unhook it at the JB to decrease chance of having the live wire short rub and short on something. (black/yellow on the 10-pin connector)

If the fan does draw less than 10 amps, the accessory leads at the headlight would be a convenient tie-in point without having to add another wire to the battery terminal. Maybe someone will chime in with the specs on the fan motor.

#13 ·
I went ahead and did away with what previous owner had done. I ran a wire with fuseable link from battery to switch, than another wire from switch straight to the fans plug( I cut the power wire off plug and ran my own)

And I left the fans ground wire , grounded to The ground wire coming off the stock plug. I have to slap the battery back in and I then I will test it and see if the bike starts having a charging problem when warm again.

#15 ·
Thanks for help, I think it’s fixed.... I took it for a ride and noticed my voltage gauge drop to nothing and had gotten dim, then shot to 20v did this a few times but I rode it about 6 miles down the road just enough to get her hot and everything seemed fine... the battery was charging.

I’m thinking maybe possibly my meter got dim then bright a few times could be a connection or the old thing maybe going out... but as of now everything seems fine charging wise. I do appreciate the help, I would of never figured that one out myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.