Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents and occasional Lady,

I've gone through all the trouble shooting I need a new Stator.

I've gone through the verses and found (and printed out for the shop) JR's walk through and the replacement notes.

Because most of the links on those threads are broken or outdated I was wondering where you guys suggest purchasing the parts? I really don't know where to start for electrical parts and the other miscellaneous parts I'll need for the Stator replacement. :confused:

There is a local mech where I'm living for the summer who is willing to assist me, or even just let me use the shop and tools and he can jump in to help when I need. So the more of the work I do myself the less he'll be charging me (+1 for small town gearheads).

The bike has 27k miles on it.

Thanks much, sorry to post yet another Stator comment thread but finding relevant threads on this forum are difficult, even with the search function.

·
Registered
856 Posts
as far as replacement stators go, nearly everyone on here will likely recommended the same to you. Get a rewind done by Tim Parrot. http://www.tpe-usa.com/

Many will also recommend doing the Tuxedo mod if you have the capability as this will allow you to do a stator swap again in the future (if it becomes needed) without having to pull the engine again.

as far as any other specific parts, let us know what you're looking for and I'm sure someone can give some advise.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
For the Stator, contact Tim at http://www.TPE-USA.com for the R/R, get a MOFSET R/R off of ebay (Shindegen FH001 / 35A / FJR 1300
FH008EB / 40A / BR 600 RR
FH010BA / 50A / ZX-10R
FH012AA / 50A / FJR 1300, R1
FH012BA / 50A / ZX-14R, ZR1400, GTR1400
FH014AA / 50A / CBR 1000 RR
FH016AA / 40A / ZX-6R)
for the gaskets, and ballance dampeners go to ron ayers, or your local MC dealership.
Contact GC Extreeme here on the forums for a Tuxedo Mod Plate, so you wont have to pull the engine a second time if the need ever arise to change your stator again. Ohh and lastly, if you don't already have a AMG Battery, get one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll follow up on this and let you guys know if I hit any snags, Unfortunately I've already replaced the battery and the R/R while troubleshooting (readings were messes up and it was a "at least lets try" kinda thing).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've just ordered the parts! Ron-Ayers was the best price and answered my call instantly. I even figured out the part numbers from the diagrams and the manual I got from you guys on this site :rockon:.

I'll document with Pictures as soon as I start tearing her apart. I'm ordering the parts ahead of time, and will get under the...um...gas tank...no I take that off..engine frame around the 28th.

I'll post pictures soon as I have 'em!

Thanks!

Edit: I took a picture of the Stator (to send to Tim) and this is what we see, at least the whole thing ain't fried eh?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I (should) be starting work on it and opening it up completely, I'm just waiting on the Stator from http://www.tpe-usa.com/ I didn't get a tracking number but he said he shipped on monday so fingures crossed its here today.

I'll update with photo's tonight!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
You ordered a stator without sending in the old one? I thought you had to send in your old stator to have it rebuilt. I guess he already has a few cores.

I get all my oem parts from cheapcycleparts.com. Been dealing with them for many years.

I decided not to do the Tuxedo mod, even with the engine out. The new rebuilt stator should outlast the rest of the bike.

27,000 miles is not much, IF the bike has been maintained and not abused. I currently have 92,000. I have left mine completely stock mechanically. To me that shows how good the original design was. The parts that tend to fail are mostly poor quality parts. The cam chain tensioners in particular are junk. The metal the driveshaft is made out of is not hard enough, and most splines were never lubed at the factory. IMO anyway, the stator simply did not have the capacity it should have had. But it seems that most Japanese bikes from back in the '70s and '80s had weak stators. You just didn't have to pull the engine to replace them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You ordered a stator without sending in the old one? I thought you had to send in your old stator to have it rebuilt. I guess he already has a few cores.

I get all my oem parts from cheapcycleparts.com. Been dealing with them for many years.

I decided not to do the Tuxedo mod, even with the engine out. The new rebuilt stator should outlast the rest of the bike.

27,000 miles is not much, IF the bike has been maintained and not abused. I currently have 92,000. I have left mine completely stock mechanically. To me that shows how good the original design was. The parts that tend to fail are mostly poor quality parts. The cam chain tensioners in particular are junk. The metal the driveshaft is made out of is not hard enough, and most splines were never lubed at the factory. IMO anyway, the stator simply did not have the capacity it should have had. But it seems that most Japanese bikes from back in the '70s and '80s had weak stators. You just didn't have to pull the engine to replace them.
I thought I had to send mine in too, but he said he had some on hand and that I could send mine in after I've installed the new one and it works. I'm just waiting on it, it should arrive today via UPS but he never gave me a tracking number. I'm on a tight schedule too because my car just dropped it's transmission(hopefully it's electrical, don't ask).

I bought it used, but I've put on 4k miles this summer and plan on taking it to 90k or more over it's life. While I'm in the stator I'm also going to have the carbs synced and cleaned, and I've had the rear tire replaced (and therin the splines on the final case should have been taken care of). I've already bought Moly 60 to put on the splines in the bevel front case.

I'll try and get pictures of a step by step as I do the engine removal and such, but I've never done it before so it's not going to be a pro "what I did".

I've read as much as I can find on the forum on the walkthroughs but could always use more advice!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I thought I had to send mine in too, but he said he had some on hand and that I could send mine in after I've installed the new one and it works. I'm just waiting on it, it should arrive today via UPS but he never gave me a tracking number. I'm on a tight schedule too because my car just dropped it's transmission(hopefully it's electrical, don't ask).

I bought it used, but I've put on 4k miles this summer and plan on taking it to 90k or more over it's life. While I'm in the stator I'm also going to have the carbs synced and cleaned, and I've had the rear tire replaced (and therin the splines on the final case should have been taken care of). I've already bought Moly 60 to put on the splines in the bevel front case.

I'll try and get pictures of a step by step as I do the engine removal and such, but I've never done it before so it's not going to be a pro "what I did".

I've read as much as I can find on the forum on the walkthroughs but could always use more advice!
If you are depending on the mechanic replacing your tire has Moly'ed the rear spline....DON'T count on it !
...jmo

:smiley_th

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Williamtech, Yeah, the "should" is my hope that he did.

Is there a way for me to check the splines after pulling the engine out (or at least most of the way out)? I'm not sure if I have to lube the splines in the bevel case or where that step comes in. I'm still doing research on the forums and come up with new things to consider when doing this repair than before haha. I am familiar with lubing the splines in the final gear case by the rear tire, the question is about the bevel case on the engine.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
If you are depending on the mechanic replacing your tire has Moly'ed the rear spline....DON'T count on it !
...jmo

:smiley_th
Yea they only do that. if ya ASK them to.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
If your engine is out just slide out the driveshaft and look at the splines.just when ys put it back in make sure it slides back on the splines.easy as cherry pie from the grocery store

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, I'll pull the drive while I'm at it then, I wasn't sure if I could get access from that end.

I was hoping the part would show up today, it's a 16 hour job from what I hear and I'd really like to see it done by Thursday.

I ordered the part from TPE and he said he would bill me and ship me, We completed the paypal trans on the 21st but he never sent me a shipping number. I emailed him on the 25th confirming the shipment and requesting a tracking number. I've not gotten an email back and made some phone calls but he doesn't have an answering machine. Should I be worried by this or no? I'm not opening up this bike and spreading parts all over the garage until I know I've got something to put back into it.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Ok, I'll pull the drive while I'm at it then, I wasn't sure if I could get access from that end.

I was hoping the part would show up today, it's a 16 hour job from what I hear and I'd really like to see it done by Thursday.

I ordered the part from TPE and he said he would bill me and ship me, We completed the paypal trans on the 21st but he never sent me a shipping number. I emailed him on the 25th confirming the shipment and requesting a tracking number. I've not gotten an email back and made some phone calls but he doesn't have an answering machine. Should I be worried by this or no? I'm not opening up this bike and spreading parts all over the garage until I know I've got something to put back into it.
I wouldnt sweat it, tons of people bought stators from him here, you might consiger damper replacement while you are in there! I didnt at 23000 when mine went but am doing it now at 45000,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldnt sweat it, tons of people bought stators from him here, you might consiger damper replacement while you are in there! I didnt at 23000 when mine went but am doing it now at 45000,
Thanks, this went from a for fun project to my only hope of getting to work on Thursday haha.

I'd replace the dampers but won't have the time to order them, I might be looking at a carb cleaning and resync and will probably put my money into that while I have the engine on the floor.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Thanks, this went from a for fun project to my only hope of getting to work on Thursday haha.

I'd replace the dampers but won't have the time to order them, I might be looking at a carb cleaning and resync and will probably put my money into that while I have the engine on the floor.
it was suggested to me by "Ron AKA The Professor" which was a very valued member of this forum before he passed away. I did my stator at 23000 miles and it stayed on my mind the next 22000 until I pulled the engine for an oil leak. It made it through no problems so you should be ok. Im doing the tuxedo cover mod while im at it and will hopefully get as many on mine as Jerry did!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like the part hasn't shown up yet, I haven't heard from Tim in 10 days (and even called him a handle full of times) but he said he was shipping it Monday after payment was processed. It's only been 10 days for shipping but he said it was 2 day service. Worst part about mech work is waiting on the parts, no? :BLAM:

Also never got a shipping number, just order confirmation on paypal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts