Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know..enough about oil, but...

I went oil shopping yesterday, in search of good 'ol Shell Rotella T 15W-40 that seems to be a good consensus choice on this Forum.

But when I looked at the service classifications on the bottles, I did not see the citations found in my 2004 owners' maunual, which are " API SE, SF, SG or SH/SJ with JASO MA."

What I saw were specifications beginning with a "C", and on some brands a specification like "SL"....or something like that. (Sorry...didn't write this down.) I checked several other brands and never saw any with the expected "SE, SF, SG" citation. (I did not look at any synthetic oils.)

I realize that specs that are later in the alphabet are usually better than those which are earlier--so SL is probably OK to use, since it follows SG. But the specifications using the letter C had me stumped. Are these oils for diesel use? Heavy duty use, not usable in a motorcycle? Phooey.

Any help welcomed...think I'll go nose around the API website..maybe I can answer my own question...

-Roy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Yep...here's part of the answer to my own question...thought it was worth sharing.

The latest and greatest API Service classification for motor oils is SM, which came out in November 2004. API says that any oil meeting this standard meets all the earlier standards. The standards, SE, SF, SG, and SH are considered "obsolete" at this time. Since my owner's manual came out prior to November 2004, I guess I can't fault Kawasaki for not mentioning the newer standards.

Here's where I found the document with the answer:
http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/API_MotorOilGuide_2004.pdf
(This link works oddly...use "save link as" rather than just clicking on it.)

I recall some discussion in MCN or somewhere that "heavy duty" oils were also good for motorcycles...perhaps the diesel-classified oils fall into that category? Any advice on using those?

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Woody said:
Lots of info there, good site. Call me stubborn but I won't run anything other than synthetic in my bikes. have always had better shifting and cooler running. Hopes this helps out the stator also.
Same here

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought the gallon jug of Shell Rotella T from my local Wal-Mart (I think it was $7.59) last night. Before making the decision to buy it I did some research on using this in my bike and the final kicker was that the jug actually says "for diesel and gasoline engines".

I was using Havoline 10W-40, which is an auto oil but does not say "energy conserving" in the seal (the 5,10W-30 do) - so I'll let you know how this works out for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I dont want to start a debate but I do have an oil Question: "Synthetics in a brand new bike are a good thing ~so I am told~ and I myself do infact like to use them, but is there is any advantage in running synthetics in an older bike?, I just did a second oil change in 500 miles to insure that this 91 that had never been cared for will survive during its stay with me, I used Castoral GTX10/40." after tis second oil change I have noticed my clutch has alot less 'slippage' and may not need replacement as I had thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts