Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
That is a real hassle and expense! Are they nails or railroad spikes? So they aren't repairable? As others have posted about unknowingly riding around with nails in their self sealing tires, the nail didn't necessarily make their tire unuseable.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Sounds like you are in dire need of a gremlin bell. Or big magnet just in front of the tire.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Fergy you may try the ride on that a lot of members use. I would say a lot would say to use it before you change out the tire. I have put it in my tires, a couple of years ago, and the other day I got my first nail. Ride on did not quit seal it up at the time, but I took and put some more into the tire and it sealed it. I had to ride the bike for a half hour and it has helded up for a week now, with no leakage.

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
I wish I had your money to keep buying tires everytime one gets a puncture...

I would just use a "Sticky string" plug if needed, but I use Ride-On also.

If this was your race bike I'd understand the expense, but if the tire is relitivaly new I would just plug it if you don't use Ride-On.(and it seems obvious you should....lol)

KM

·
Registered
950 Posts
or..... just stop riding through piles of nails.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
fergy:

Can I have your old tires? Don't think I can afford ME880's on my own!

·
Registered
139 Posts
WOW! I cry every time I have to buy a new metzler after wearing the old one plum out. I hate it so bad I am contemplating a move to the darkside.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had Ride-On in some of these tires, not all, and I did have it in the last one. But when I pulled the nail out it hissed a good bit, so I aired it up and rode about 15 miles, and let it sit for a little while and it went flat. I plugged it with a regular tire plug, the sticky black ones, and it was fine. But I've always been told that you shouldn't plug motorcycle tires. But I know one guy who always has plugs in his tires and thinks nothing of it. I hate to spend money like this, but want to be safe and figure tires are something you want to be sure of. Every time this comes up on the forums, it's usually at least 75% against plugging tires except for emergency repair.

·
Super Moderator
11,819 Posts
Every time this comes up on the forums, it's usually at least 75% against plugging tires except for emergency repair.

I think that is from the 75% who don't know how to plug a tire. , or were told by someone else not to and just repeating the warning like they know...

On the FJR forum 75% would likely suggest the sticky string , another 15 % would say to patch it on top of that, and the last 10% would say buy a new tire....so I guess it matters not only who, but where you ask.... ;)

Even if I had the money, I'd try plugging a new tire first.

For the money you spent so far, you could have bought your tire here and never had to worry about it again:
http://www.rhinotire.com/

KM

KM

·
Registered
236 Posts
There's a shop in the Houston area that has a "plug-patch". I've got one in my rear tire that's been there for about a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, you should patch the thing and go.

I have about 22K on a ME880 170/80-15 and will be looking for a replacement in about 3,000 miles. Sell one of your punctured ones!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that is from the 75% who don't know how to plug a tire. , or were told by someone else not to and just repeating the warning like they know...

On the FJR forum 75% would likely suggest the sticky string , another 15 % would say to patch it on top of that, and the last 10% would say buy a new tire....so I guess it matters not only who, but where you ask.... ;)

Even if I had the money, I'd try plugging a new tire first.

For the money you spent so far, you could have bought your tire here and never had to worry about it again:
http://www.rhinotire.com/

KM

KM
Dang! That's really impressive. No kidding, I could have easily paid for them by now.

You're right, it depends on who you ask about plugging. I've always plugged my jeep and truck/car tires myself. Never had a problem with them. Several of the write-ups I've read say the motorcycle tire tread thickness isn't thick enough for a plug to stay in for the life of the tire as apposed to car and truck tires. I just hate to have any doubts about my tires when on my bike. One less thing to be thinking about.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Dang! That's really impressive. No kidding, I could have easily paid for them by now.

You're right, it depends on who you ask about plugging. I've always plugged my jeep and truck/car tires myself. Never had a problem with them. Several of the write-ups I've read say the motorcycle tire tread thickness isn't thick enough for a plug to stay in for the life of the tire as apposed to car and truck tires. I just hate to have any doubts about my tires when on my bike. One less thing to be thinking about.
Last summer I rode around with a plugged tire without any trouble.

I know a couple sport bike riders who plug their tires and then log several thousand miles, some on the freeway with out trouble.

Some argue that a patch is better.

And some swear up and down, no way, no how; replace the tire.

If I was in your spot Fergy, I'd try the plug at this point, just due to the past, repeat experiences. It would very likely buy you some miles and then go for a replacement when the plugged tire picks up a puncture. I'd go buy a good plug kit and do it myself, (like I did last year) and keep on riding.

When I did mine, BTW, everyday for two weeks I'd spray the plug with soapy water, and check the tire pressure just to be sure, then just once a week or every 10 days. I also road "conservatively" for a while too. But that's just me.

In the end, it's up to you. Good luck either way. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last year I was riding and the front tire blew sending my vulcan in a wobble. I just assume replacing a tire vs patching or plugs. I feel it's better to be safe than sorry from my experience. I recommend a small air compressor or a can of fix a flat to help you out in case of emergency.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts