Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head light went out the other day and I can't figure out why. I have tested the stator and everything seems to be good there. All of the other lights work and the bike starts and runs fine, just no power to the head light.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
headlight fuse?
Bulb dead?
Start there......

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
with the bike running, check the blue wire coming out of the JB for 12v. If not, it's prolly your headlight relay...assuming the stator signal to the JB is good. If you have power on the blue wire, then check the blue/yellow wire coming out of the RLU. You can jump the RLU out by jumping from the blue to blue/yellow wire in the connector.... it will of course disable the RLU.....From there the blue/yellow goes to the high/low switch....check the connections under the left neck cover. After power passes through the switch, it goes to the head light via the red/black(high) or the red/yellow(low).. that's about it...

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok dariv, thats a place to start tomorrow. My big question is, where is the head light relay? I looked but I'm still not sure. I have the color schematic down loaded but haven't seen the head light relay.

> After more study time on the wiring diagram I'm guessing the relay is in the junction box. Now by jumping out the blue with the blue/yellow, that's basically swapping them? Sorry for the questions but electricity is not my best subject, LOL.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Yes the relay is in the jb. The wire I'm talkIng about jumping is on the reserve lighting unit.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
From Yahoo VN750 website which cured my problem:

If the headlight relay is the culprit, there is an easy (and free)
repair you can do to bypass the relay. This will make the headlight
come on when you turn on the key, instead of when the engine starts.
There are 2 plugs going into your junction box (where the fuses are);
one is a 10 pin connector, the other is an 8 pin connector. Unplug
the 8 pin connector. There are only 7 wires going to this plug, so
one of the holes is empty. Move the blue wire to that empty hole and
plug it back in to the junction box. Now when you turn the key on the
headlight comes on. Let us know if you have any problems.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Want to say thanks to dariv and the deuce for your guidance and tips. System is charging so I moved the blue wire to the empty slot on that plug and bingo, I'm back in business. Thanks again guys.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Want to say thanks to dariv and the deuce for your guidance and tips. System is charging so I moved the blue wire to the empty slot on that plug and bingo, I'm back in business. Thanks again guys.
No problemo, glad to hear it was a simple problem with no money out of your pocket to fix. :smiley_th

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's the latest update. It appears I missed something somewhere. Riding home last night and when I was a couple miles from home the bike started missing, like it was out of gas. Made it home and when I pulled up under the car port she died. I won't have time to check her out til the weekend. Going to go through all my grounds and connections and see what happens. If it's the R/R I can fix it, if it's the stator she will probably go up for sale as I don't have the knowledge, tools and space to do the stator mod, or the extra money to take her to a shop.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
It could just be POOGS. Trying firing her up when you get home after work.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Well, here's the latest update. It appears I missed something somewhere. Riding home last night and when I was a couple miles from home the bike started missing, like it was out of gas. Made it home and when I pulled up under the car port she died. I won't have time to check her out til the weekend. Going to go through all my grounds and connections and see what happens. If it's the R/R I can fix it, if it's the stator she will probably go up for sale as I don't have the knowledge, tools and space to do the stator mod, or the extra money to take her to a shop.
Replacing the stator is a rite of passage thou

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Check the side stand safety switch. Out of no where my bike started hesitating, stalling, backfiring, and just dying on me. Then I'd start it later and it would run fine, only to do it again. Even stranded me once.

A few people on here told me to check the safety switch. I removed it, snipped the wires, stripped the ends and twisted them together, and the bike has been running great ever since......

·
Registered Badass
102 Posts
I've had to do the same thing peterherrm did. I think there's one or two other safety/lockout switches as well. After the side stand ordeal I disabled all of them. I think the clutch lever has one.

I can't tell you how many time's I've been frustrated and ready to part the thing out. Sleep on it a night or two. Do a little research in the verses and when you're ready take another stab at it. It could be something simple.

Considering the headlight gave you issues before this happened I would check the Stator wires. Myself and many other have had the bullet connections or the wires themselves melt. One of those wires is what triggers the headlight relay.
If that's the problem your battery is probably dead so you'll want to charge it up. If you don't have a charger you can push start the bike or jump it to get it started.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
one other thing to look at.. the Headlight Relay inside the JB going bad is usuaully a precursor to a failing JB. (I said usuaully not always).... A few years back, before i even bought the bike, I was fighting a charging problem, I had the PO replace the stator and the r/r, and it worked ok for a few months then started to act up again. I then bought the bike and replaced the r/r yet again with out luck this time. the Stator still tested out good, so I just kept charging my battery at work, and again when i would get home. At the same time I was having these problems, my headlight wasn't coming on, so I decided to replace the JB. Then presto she started to charge again. WTF is all I could think... but now as I know more about the JB and the charging system I understand why.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 3 day weekend coming up so I'm gonna start checking all of my ground points, and test everything again. Keeping my fingers crossed I just missed something simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
deuce

Hey man I did what u said in this forum and u was right it was my headlight relay in jb I switched it out and presto let there be light again thanks for the info I been working on my headlight for a month tryin to fiqure it out u guys r f****** awsome

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I tested the stator today, wish I had a better volt meter though. Going to try it one more time tomorrow. Checking resistance, I got .1 on two wires and 6.7 on the other. Checked the voltage output, at idle got around 5 to 5.5 on each wire, at 3500 to 4000 rpm's only showed 7.7, 7.8. Getting discouraged, but not giving up just yet.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Hey man I did what u said in this forum and u was right it was my headlight relay in jb I switched it out and presto let there be light again thanks for the info I been working on my headlight for a month tryin to fiqure it out u guys r f****** awsome
Glad to hear I was able to be of help. :smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
out put on each wire is tested in VAC, not DC...

the resistance doesn't look right either... is this with bike warm or cold... is the voltage gauge reading correctly before running the tests?

I always suggest this Charging System Test Chart

Engine Cold:
Battery Voltage (Engine Off) ________ VDC
Stator Resistance From Stator Side wiring Connectors:
Leg A1-A2
Leg A1-A3
Leg A2-A1
Leg A2-A3
Leg A3-A2
Leg A3_A1
Leg A1-Ground
Leg A2-Ground
Leg A3-Ground

R/R Static Test
A1-A2
A1-A3
A1-Ground
A1-Bat
A1-M
A2-A1
A2-A3
A2-Ground
A2-Bat
A2-M
A3-A1
A3-A2
A3-Ground
A3-Bat
A3-M
Bat-m
Bat-G
Bat- A1,A2,AA3
M-Bat
M-Ground
M-A1,A2,A3
Ground-Bat
Ground-M
Ground to A1,A2,A3

Battery Voltage (Engine Running Cold) ________VDC
Stator output: A1-A2 ____VAC
A1-A3____VAC
A2-A1_____VAC
A2-A3_____VAC
A3-A1_____VAC
A3-A2_____VAC

Battery Voltage, Engine Hot, Engine Running:
______VDC
Stator output: A1-A2 ____VAC
A1-A3____VAC
A2-A1_____VAC
A2-A3_____VAC
A3-A1_____VAC
A3-A2_____VAC

Engine off, Engine Hot
Battery Voltage (Engine Off) ________ VDC
Stator Resistance From Stator Side wiring Connectors:
Leg A1-A2
Leg A1-A3
Leg A2-A1
Leg A2-A3
Leg A3-A2
Leg A3_A1
Leg A1-Ground
Leg A2-Ground
Leg A3-Ground

R/R Static Test
A1-A2
A1-A3
A1-Ground
A1-Bat
A1-M
A2-A1
A2-A3
A2-Ground
A2-Bat
A2-M
A3-A1
A3-A2
A3-Ground
A3-Bat
A3-M
Bat-m
Bat-G
Bat- A1,A2,AA3
M-Bat
M-Ground
M-A1,A2,A3
Ground-Bat
Ground-M
Ground to A1,A2,A3

if you fallow these steps and record exactly what you find, you will see your problem...

If you are running a MOSFET R/R, remove the steps asking for "M"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts