Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,

So, riding to work Tuesday morning, I am cut off OHSOCLOSE by a grey Camry, but I'm riding straight, apply brake, but not too much, start getting 5, 6, 7 feet between us. Then it slams on its brakes. I had already loosened up on the brakes, and leaned a little left to gain space in between the cars (lane splitting-style), so I straighten up and squeeze the brake again, going maybe 25mph. And my front tire pops.

I don't know how it quite happened from there. I remember the bars wrenching hard left, that my vertical axis was tossed around like a hot midget on prom night, i have bruises on the right side of my body, and a sprained right wrist, and my right shoulder is very hard to move, but the road rash, sprained ankle, and ripped up pants were on my left side, which is when I remember sliding backwards and pushing the bike off my foot.

A good samaritan helped me pull the bike up, and i limp her into a nearby parking lot, and start assessing the damage, to myself and the bike.

Besides a whole lot of spilled coolant, and newly exposed steel on my clutch lever, left centerstand foot, and turn signal (oh, mirrors all bent up and handlebars pulled closer in, too) the damage could have been a lot worse.

I had her towed to a nearby honda dealer (hey, any port in a storm) and they slapped on a new tire and charged the battery for me (no idea why the battery would have an issue; probably because it is a wet cell and spilled out a bit) and rode her home today.

I'm about to go and start tweaking, refilling, etc., and while I'm still limping around, I'm happy that my ride isn't totalled.

Long story short-- if your bike has been sitting for a while, just get new tires. You never know when that soft spot is going to give way...:BLAM:

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
hey, I'm glad you didn't wind up in the hospital. Sounds like the bike made it out alive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shocking, I know! I don't know if the fact that I was cut off and had to drop speed quickly made it better, or worse because I didn't have much room to come to a gradual stop...

Crash dynamics are something I haven't gotten to yet on that "Cornering Bible" series on Youtube! I knew I should have watched faster.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Glad you escaped without serious injuries. Good luck getting the bike back on the road.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Glad you are as well as you are physically.
Replacement parts available from many members here...
just ask .

:smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
HOLY KAW! man, I'm glad you came out of that (for the most part) ok. glad you didn't end up worse.

yup, been there, done that (gone down). twice now and yes sir, I do NOT want to do it again! lol

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
How old was your front tire?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's the thing-- no idea. lots of tread, but i am at least owner #3, so while they may have been changed, I don't know when. The bike is a 94, I got it with barely 11k miles on it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
sorry to hear about it - but glad you and the bike came out "fairly" well. Like you said - sounds like it could have been much worse.

Not that it would really matter - did the Camry driver stop (to assist/apologize)? Or did he/she even notice......

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Sounds scary, glad you're mostly ok, man. Purely speculative, perhaps someone can educate me: if your bike sat, can your tires still have tread but be dry rotted between the treading?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
What is the Date Code on the tire ? I bet it will be 1994 era.
WilliamTech

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Like William eluded to there is a date code on all tires... Google it and it will tell you where to find it and how to decide it.

Liberty.... even if a tire is in other wise good condition and you see no cracks... rubber only hold up so long, do yes its possible to have damage that isn't visible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts