Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 70,000 miles, I just started having problems with my clutch. Unlike most clutch problems however, mine is not slipping, it is dragging. It will not release completely. It releases enough that you can hold the bike in place with it in gear and the clutch pulled in, with your feet on the ground, but lift your feet off the ground and it will slowly creep forward. I rode it about 10 feet like that, in gear, clutch in, at idle speed. The cable and release arm are adjusted properly, and the cable is well lubricated. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, when it became almost impossible to downshift.

I pulled the clutch plates and springs out, the springs and steel plates check out fine, but the friction plates had a very weird problem I've never seen before. I checked all of them, and found the same thing. Some spots were worn almost but not quite to the service limits. Other spots were OVER the max limits. I first thought they were warped, but in measuring them with my caliper, I actually did find several places that were thicker than they were supposed to be when they were new. I got some new EBC CK plates form DK, and am waiting on the cover gasket from RonAyers to put it back together. Anybody ever heard of anything like this? This is an '02 model, and this is the first time the clutch cover has been off.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
WoooHooo sounds like the bike wants to drive herself. Take pics of the clutch replacements and let us know how the change out goes !!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it. Finally got the gasket from Ron Ayers (they had a great price and reasonable shipping, but took FOREVER to ship it. I'm used to DK, where you order it one day, and it's on your doorstep the next). Sanded metal plates, installed new EBC friction plates, reused old springs, put it all back together, adjusted cable, works like new, and shifts better than it has in a long time. I can't help but wonder if sitting for the better part of a year might have had something to do with this?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
sitting definantly isn't good, but for the weird wear you describe, two things come to mind... first, were the plates installed right? second is that the springs are getting weak... keep an eye on it for the 1st 500 miles, if it starts slipping again, check the springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts