Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to say anything about this. But here it goes.
I bought this 82 maxim $500. I have cleaned the carbs (cleaned them myself), replaced the starter (paid $33.00). I got the ignition key but had to break the fuel tank lock. I can now open it with any key. I dissassemlbled the helmet lock works with any key now.
I now need the speedo tach assemlby. Still looking for one.
I started it just a while ago, sounds good.
I could not help it. I used to have a 650 maxim back in 1984.
Oh yes here is a picture.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think a buddy of mine has one of those scrapped out I know he has that tank and I can look at it and see if it has the speedo and tach for you if you want ,I don't know what kind of shape it is in.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
I've got to admit that I like those 80's sport/standard bikes. KM I really like your Seca. I was looking for an 80's Nighthawk 750 when I found my Mabellene. I dig those little fairings and the rectangular headlights. Very retro. :motorcycl

R

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are quite a few in this area for sale. Good prices too. $2000 and down, in running condition. There are honda, yamies, sukies and so on.
Think of looking at two in a town close by. $900 for two. One is an 82 maxim 750, the other an 85 midnight maxim also a 750.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think a buddy of mine has one of those scrapped out I know he has that tank and I can look at it and see if it has the speedo and tach for you if you want ,I don't know what kind of shape it is in.
That is a good idea. See what he wants for it and get me a pic to compare the parts.
Thanx.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
That is a good idea. See what he wants for it and get me a pic to compare the parts.
Thanx.
It may be a few days before I can pin him down as he works a weird schedule but I try to look it over and get pics asap

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You can put a 'CLASSIC' or 'VINTAGE' plate on when they turn 30 and NEVER buy another tab for aS long aS you own the bike! My wife, love her, bought a vintage plate for my XS650 good for the life of the bike.

DT

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You can put a 'CLASSIC' or 'VINTAGE' plate on when they turn 30 and NEVER buy another tab for aS long aS you own the bike! My wife, love her, bought a vintage plate for my XS650 good for the life of the bike.

DT
Is there any mileage limit per year on vehicles with the classic or vintage plate? It seems like I heard something about that years ago, but I`m not sure.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
In WaShington, we were told it'S not a daily commuter with Vintage. CopS aren't going to bother you riding it on weekendS to charge the battery and keep the engine lubed.

DT

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice set of wheels. I happen to own a 1980 Maxim myself and I think its actually a more fun bike to ride than my Vulcan.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just took mine out on the road. It is smoother than I thought it would be. It handles better than the lowered vulcan. It still has to be run to get the carbs and all the safety switches working right. Some seafoam is in order to help get the last bit of crud (it is okay to say "crud") out of the carbs.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
here is the link to the pics ,I hope

http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=85
they are in an album on my profile this was just easier let me know if they are what you need and I can get you either set for twenty bucks and actual shipping

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=85
they are in an album on my profile this was just easier let me know if they are what you need and I can get you either set for twenty bucks and actual shipping

That is not like mine. Thanx.
I have looked on ebay, and nothing doing. Mine has a check list that it goes through at start up. Both speedo and tach are on the same board.
I'll just have to keep looking.
Thanx again denny.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
well I tried when i got down there they were 1100's and i really didn't know I did see a set of those swirly looking mag wheels that were pretty cool on one and it had a rear disc brake setup . I wonder how hard that would be to adapt to the vulcan 750

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
did you look at the third picture over, that had the pre trip check panel and was one piece,although it may be different than yours ,there are two different bikes there but like I said they are both 1100's,I wonder if would be worth buying those two to part out and a 1972 cb750 four that I think I can get running.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This inline 4's are alot of fun to ride.
If I knew that I could rig another kind with round speedo and tach I would.
But it is so much easier to unplug and replug.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts