Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore down my 94 vn750 today to replace the stator and got to thinking that since many of us want a larger tank and no one seems to sell one or know of another tank that can be made to fit, why not do away with the airbox and build and auxillary tank to go in its place? It may be a pain for only A gallon or so, but if anyone has ever tried this, please let me know. I'm moving to Chicago soon so I probably will try to make a tank this winter. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tore down my 94 vn750 today to replace the stator and got to thinking that since many of us want a larger tank and no one seems to sell one or know of another tank that can be made to fit, why not do away with the airbox and build and auxillary tank to go in its place? It may be a pain for only A gallon or so, but if anyone has ever tried this, please let me know. I'm moving to Chicago soon so I probably will try to make a tank this winter. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
I suggested this a while back in another thread. I don't think I'm going to do the ear-shave, but if I did, I'd probably try to do something like this. All I can offer is encouragement, but go for it. Another gallon on our bikes is significant.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I suggested this a while back in another thread.
I thought I remembered hearing something similar not long ago.
I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
There used to be a guy on Ebay selling an "enlarged" tank for our bikes...I think.

If one was handy with metal work, and patient, one could fabricate a" close to stock" appearing, though larger tank. I'm sure the knuckleheads on television aren't the only ones who can fab up a fuel tank.

That would be trick! Hold more fuel without folks readily being able to tell why. People look at the bike, and can tell something is different, but not sure why. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggested this a while back in another thread. I don't think I'm going to do the ear-shave, but if I did, I'd probably try to do something like this. All I can offer is encouragement, but go for it. Another gallon on our bikes is significant.

I plan on using air flilters on each carb, but since the ears bolt to the frame I want to keep them for the stock look, and maybe use them for tool storage or something else. I like the look because it is unique to our bikes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the only issue i would see with puttin a fuel tank in place of the air box, is making sure its still high enough for the carbs to syphon the fuel into em, other than that it would be a cool idea, as long as the heat of the engine didnt vaporize the fuel too much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just did a 700 mile run in eastern Washington state with some friends that ride big HD's. My bike was the limiting factor as to how far we could go due to the small gas tank. Throughout the ride all I saw pull into every place we stopped was HD's. But... there was one guy with a Vulcan 500. JEEZ!!! Even that guy, with a 500 had a larger gas tank. Plus he had six gears.
We have a great bike but the limitation of barely over 3 gallons is rediculous. I definitely want more fuel stored onboard even if it's hiding in the handlebars!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts