Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Well, the time has come I suppose. I've been dreading this. Everybody is different and have their own opinions but this is my opinion on this forthcoming change:

Motorcycle.com has been changing all of the forums that it oversees to this new format. No doubt the new format will be better in the ways they express (for them) but I have to tell you that you'll goddamn hate the layout of the new format.

If you want to see what the new format will look like, go to any of the other sites run by Motorcycle.com and see. IT IS RADICALLY DIFFERENT. To each their own, but I detest it. I was a staunch member of VulcanForums.com but refuse to go there anymore purely because of the looks to the new format. That, and what I viewed to be the arrogance and dismissal of the Motorcycle.com team towards any opinions other than their own. Again, I've no issue with improving any site BUT THAT LOOK TO THEM, boy howdy awful.

Same with StarBikeForums and KawasakiWorld. My son informs me that a truck forum that he WAS a part of also changed to this format and he hated it so much he no longer goes there. He didn't have any knowledge of my motorcycle forums and came upon his decision to no longer use that forum all on his own, but for the same reason that I have. Motorcycle.com was not involved with that forum's change but the format is the same. I know a few other people from other forums where they've been changed to this and they too dropped out because of the new look.

I am here to tell you that the people at Motorcycle.com that are involved in making this change over WILL NOT change the look to it. They'll talk a good talk about listening to your inputs and making the transition to the new format easier so as to make it better for you BUT YOU CAN BE DAMN SURE THAT THEY'RE GOING TO CHANGE IT REGARDLESS AND IT WILL LOOK LIKE THE OTHER SITES! Your opinion does not matter, end of discussion. Be ready to read some real smooth talking from them about how great it will be. But don't expect the look to change from what they want. They've got a politician's skill in explaining and apologizing without really explaining or apologizing while still doing what THEY plan to do anyway.

I REALLY, REALLY tried to get them to change the look to something else but they refused to even address the point. (They didn't even say that it was too difficult or impossible to change. They merely side-stepped the entire subject. Essentially they refused, completely, to address the specific subject of the look.) I didn't care about making changes, per say, but the LOOK to it reminded me of a junior high schooler's first science project. Its hideous. I tried e-mail campaigns, myself and a few others got up a few threads talking specifically about what we did NOT like about the new format and had quite a few people pipe in their dislike for it. These threads had many, many replies.

No avail. May as well have been talking to a wall. For new people to vn750.com, you may not mind it. But for long term members, you'll have a different opinion entirely.

I refuse to use any site with this new format. Period. Which means that any Kawasaki forum run by Motorcycle.com has been dropped by me completely. I guess now it means this one, too.

Thankfully VROC and VRA won't change to it. I never was a fan of Motorcycle.com and that low opinion has steadily gone south. In my opinion, their attitude towards the concerns of their customers smacks of utter arrogance.

Good luck to you all. Some of you will stay and some will leave. I am permanently gone as of this posting that you're reading right now. I really, REALLY detest the new look.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Always considered myself to be flexible and adaptable, but if it winds up being like the Honda forum, I may be gone too.

The format there is like taking all your tools and storing them in five gallon buckets. They threw it all into just a few sections making you sift through unrelated threads to get where you're going.

Here's hoping it's not like that.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
When they bought hondarebelforum.com, it wasn't long before they changed to a "better, improved" format. Think that was in 2015 or thereabouts. I was a moderator there and raised an issue I was having with the new format no less than five times. Every time they promised they would fix it, but after the fifth time I brought it up, and no fix, I left. Came back after a couple of years, and yesterday they posted the same message above. I'll wait and see what it looks like, but this may be the bow on the pig for me.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Can I still use Tapatalk?

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts