Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That was my conclusion too. Pull it. Because if I have to get another engine I'll have to pull it anyway.

Oh, I don't know if this is good enough for Motorcycle repair But, this might show some of my mechanical ability. http://www.webng.com/JTHill/aerostar/engine.html

I'm always willing to learn more. My Motto is "What I know, I know, But what I don't I'll ask from someone who can Teach Me"

So It looks like you and the others here will be teaching Me.

Thanks for everything so Far.

JaY

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Looking at the aerostar job I would say good goin JaY, you'll handle the Vulcan rebuild fine... Just take your time and do what you do better than new, and it will come out sweeeet... Make it a labor of love more than a job... These fine folks on here can lead you right on through it... You gotta do stuff like that before you get too danged old, then you can look back at what you used to could do...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
363 Posts
good luck on the rebuild. the good thing is the welth of knowladge here that when you hit the pervirbial wall some will be there to pick you up and get you started back on the right track

are you going to go with the stock exhaust? or are you going to put aftermarket?? if so can i buy the left side heat shield from you ???????????

pictures of the rebuild will follow i hope

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well made some local phone calls to see what was available to me. Last night I remembered that a Local wrecking yard had a corner where they had some motorcycles when they came in. Called them...New owners and they don't have any anymore.

Called the only local MC Wrecking yard "Cycle Salvage in Redding, Ca."
All they have is a couple of VN700 engines for parts. So looks like it'll be a Scavenger Hunt for Me when I get into it.

Here is a Couple of pictures with the Stator cover off:

JaY

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey!! I think I found the Lock-up Problem.............. :pepper:

Huh! What-cha Think? What-cha Think?

JaY

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Missing the Clutch Rod & ????????

Broken Bolt........

Will be pulling out the engine Tomorrow

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hey!! I think I found the Lock-up Problem.............. :pepper:

Huh! What-cha Think? What-cha Think?

JaY
Serious cam chain damage! That will lock her up!!! :doh: Be prepaired for bent valves, money and labor will fix it.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well I found a Great tool to get out the spark plug sleeve.

Now for the BAD News................

Did the Chain break or Slip off some way.

Some of the Teeth are wore to a point...........

Tomorrow I'll find out all, And the Parts list gets longer.....

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well I found a Great tool to get out the spark plug sleeve.

Now for the BAD News................

Did the Chain break or Slip off some way.

Some of the Teeth are wore to a point...........

Tomorrow I'll find out all, And the Parts list gets longer.....

Cams are toasts and probably the intermediate sprocket, this is what happens when the ACCT fials to do it's job and the owner fails at their job!! :doh:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had so many Surprises today I thought it was my birthday.........

Front Head: Broken Cam Chain, Sec-Gear has no wear, Valves look Good.

Rear Head: Surprise!! It's Your Birthday!!! :BLAM:

The Shaft/bolt is missing (Plus lots of other stuff) This flops around.

The Engine now turns free and the Cylinders walls are smooth no scratches.
Looks llike I'll be splitting the case.

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMO there come a time when you have to weigh the cost, time and effort to rebuild verses buying a used motor. I belive Vmax99 has a 94 modle engine with 20000 miles without carbs for around 350. Less than the cost of three cams. Seems like ths would be the route to go on your engine. If you are rebuilding to resale, this would definatly be the route to go. If your building it to keep, it still seems like buying the used, running engine and rebuilding it would be the route to go.
Just my thoughts on the matter.:rockon:
If you do decide to go ahead with rebuilding what you have, good luck and good results.:beerchug:

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got ya. Like I said, just my opinon. Good luck with the build and I hope everything works out. I'll be keeping up with your progress ( at least when I'm at home anyway.):rockon:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I could of bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...011QQitemZ320357370653QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

But I decided to just go with getting a couple of used Heads.

Besides what would been the fun if all I had to do put in a new set of acct springs.
I tried to call you earlier, no answer. I was going to tell you about them, Then I noticed both heads on the link I sent you were sold, I figured you bought them. here is a link for pistons. :beerchug:

PISTONS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/kawa...3132976QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
There was only 1 head I seen. Yes I got it.
I guess those are standard Pistons.

Went to dinner with the In-laws but I'm home now.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
There was only 1 head I seen. Yes I got it.
I guess those are standard Pistons.

Went to dinner with the In-laws but I'm home now.
They should be STD. pistons, I doubt with the milage they would have been replaced with oversized. Did you find a rear head?

21 - 40 of 77 Posts