Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
'89 VN750
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I am trying to figure out the viability of making a set of saddlebags out of some ammo cans. See, I grew up with my dad using ammo cans for almost anything - tools, storage, crude lawn furniture, and I kinda like the look. I found some on ebay for a decent price (decent in comparison to real saddlebags) that would, by my calculations carry about 2.65622 dry us gallons each. was wondering if it would be worth it, and how much work I would have to do to mod them/the bike into working. thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
You can do it! Just mount em to some good supports...thats some heavy metal.

·
'89 VN750
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, that was a quick reply

anyways, what kind of supports would be suggested? something off ebay, or make a custom set? From ebay, I see two kinds, a kind of rounded triangular type, and a square type. Also, what dimensions would fit easier, 12"x7"x8.5" or 18"x6"x10"? I'm having a difficult time visualizing sizes, as it's 230am where I'm from and I've never seen saddlebags on my bike before (in person)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
You can do it! Just mount em to some good supports...thats some heavy metal.
HEAVY METAL RULES!:rockon:

yes, it can be done, and it has been done! there is at least 1 member on here who has done it. there maybe pic's of his vn750 in the gallery, try doing a search. he mounted some "BIG cans" (hee hee) on his bike then he painted them black. it looked really good. also he said that they would hold a ton of stuff!

here is a link to post;
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3441&highlight=ammo+cans+luggage

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I would go with the eighteen inch cans. Study it carefully before you decide on a mounting system. What matters is whether you will want them to come off easily or with a wrench. There is a sport bike that uses sqare luggage. You can find pictures online or in recent magazines. What ever system they use is probably what would work best for you.
I would like to see pics of your final solution.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mermite canisters are also popular among the adventure touring set.

I looked at them and at ammo cans before I settled on mounting some old aluminum samsonite suitcases to my bike. I did this by using longer bolts (bicycle headset) and spacers through the standard grab rail mount points. I very much doubt that this style of attachment would work for something much heavier like an ammo can.

If you have access to someone who welds, it would be pretty simple to weld a couple of "L" brackets to the frame on each side. Make sure the outermost surfaces of the "L"s clear the shocks. Then you simply drill and bolt the cans to the L brackets.

I love the utility of the suitcases, BTW. I can carry a more or less full emergency/tool kit with me, rain gear, etc., plus bungie cords and a small dry bag if I need extra storage capacity. Then I have the completely empty one to stuff my jacket and gloves in, or to carry a bag of groceries. Since they're both lockable, I don't have to worry with anyone casually rummaging through them.

The cans would let you do all this, I'm sure. I think you're going to love the ammocans/hardbags when you are done.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm heading up to the 'Fox Hole' in Washington State to check out the cans this week. I'm building a Army Bobber out of a Spectre 750 and will be needing some ammo cans.

DT

·
Registered
401 Posts
I could be wrong , but I think Knifemaker had ammo cans. KM correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
KM would never do that. It was a member in Corvalis Oregon, a student at OSU I remember.

DT

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
They only list one ammo can in their online catalog and don't specify what size it is.
Click on US AMMO CANS and you get the price list...

DT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts