Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... economy's tough out there. I want to get bigger, hard saddle bags and I think 50 cal ammo cans are the way to go. I have searched and see that some people did this, but details are a tad scarce.

Is it as simple as getting some cheap support brackets and then bolting the ammo cans on the same bolts with some washers and silicone? Is that enough support? Each can feels like it weighs maybe 6 pounds.

I would probably relocate the turn signals to the back of the cans as well.

What do you guys think?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Here's a detailed pick from a Kawasaki 636.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I used WalMart coolers. Work great and cheap.

DT

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I personally don't like the finished product since it is not squared.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Those are WAY too big for that bike. If my 750 was stock I would fabricate some for u. I would weld all the bracketing to the can and just install studs on the bike and attach with wing nuts. That way when u take them off it looks clean.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. They do look a tad large. Maybe I can go 30 cal? 50 I have handled before so they are a little familiar. I basically want a lot of room for camping gear.

Would supports like these help in any way with that shift? Why did/does that come about?

·
Registered
93 Posts
those look like they are really just for keeping soft bags from swinging into the wheel. Are these going to be permanent? Are u riding X2 with them installed. If not, u could get a single seat and make a rack that mounts to the rear fender bracket. You would have enough room to run 3 or 4 cans that way.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My cheap yet functional coolers for saddle bags. Work great for camping too.

·
Banned
431 Posts
I admire the thriftiness and functionality of these examples.... but that's about it!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the glass packs look better than the stock mufflers... but wut keeps them from snapping off since they are mounted to the swingarm?
they don't mount to the swing arm.. they mount to the frame behind the passenger foot peg brackets. and the u-bolt attaches to a piece of strap metal attached to the fender rail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts