Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install an ammeter on my 1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I don't have a schematic or wiring diagram so I need detailed and specific instructions. Anyone Help please.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I believe you are wanting a schematic for a VOLTAGE METER correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts
you dont even need a relay I got rid of the running lights in the front turns so i used that for the hot , soldered a 15 amp fuse inline and there is an extra ground in the harness you can use for the light in the volt meter, I used the left side running light hot and the same ground a white and black cable that isn't connected to anything.

I was gonna run it straight to the battery on a relay but voltage drop the way I did it was only .1 of a volt so running all that extra wire and relay mess is pointless. if you want pictures let me know

·
Registered
137 Posts
IF you want to do it 100 percent correct, use the instructions found at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8931489/Distribution-Block-Power-Relay
Damn bro feel like your telling me Im wrong in 2 posts now:) it's fine the way I ran it please tell me what benefit Id gain for that extra .1 volt?......... The whole point to the thing is to see if your R/R is functioning correctly and if it isn't you will notice because it will normally not charge at all or in some cases will over-volt... The hot is protected by an inline fuse that's all it needs and it cuts off with the ignition switch and its a hell of alot cleaner.........actually thinking about it Id probably lose more than .1 volt if I ran the extra wire and through a relay.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Damn bro feel like your telling me Im wrong in 2 posts now:) it's fine the way I ran it please tell me what benefit Id gain for that extra .1 volt?......... The whole point to the thing is to see if your R/R is functioning correctly and if it isn't you will notice because it will normally not charge at all or in some cases will over-volt... The hot is protected by an inline fuse that's all it needs and it cuts off with the ignition switch and its a hell of alot cleaner.........actually thinking about it Id probably lose more than .1 volt if I ran the extra wire and through a relay.
You can tap into any ('hot') point of any circuit and it will work..... it just wont be "correct." The point of the voltmeter is to measure the voltage drop at the battery. The only "correct" way to do that is to wire the meter directly across the battery. If your meter shows a low voltage condition, it may not even be the battery.... you may have increased resistance in the running light circuit. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the "correct" way. Just my 2 cents.............. :smiley_th

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can tap into any ('hot') point of any circuit and it will work..... it just wont be "correct." The point of the voltmeter is to measure the voltage drop at the battery. The only "correct" way to do that is to wire the meter directly across the battery. If your meter shows a low voltage condition, it may not even be the battery.... you may have increased resistance in the running light circuit. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the "correct" way. Just my 2 cents.............. :smiley_th

well I know this but from where I hooked it up and the at the battery was only a .1 volt drop .(point)1 that is all and I got rid of the running lights I only have the fronts running as blinkers....just like the rears..... The HID is enough light

1 - 7 of 7 Posts