Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I believe that it was my great grandparents that came to the States from Scotland, but that's as close as I get...

Clan Guthrie.

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
X2! My G, G grandfather and family came over in the early 1800's. They were from Dumfries (spelling?) and we've traced back to quite a few living ancestors in that area and keep in contact with several of them.
Welcome to the "other family"!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello to you both.

I might be going near dumfries tomorrow. That is the correct spelling (pronounced dum-freece, not dum-fries).

I live about 30 miles south of Glasgow.

Cheers, Trace.

·
working class hero
32 Posts
Proud of my Scottish heritage!

Hi Trace,
My ancestors came from the highlands and Edinburgh. We are from the clan of Donnachaidh. I would like to travel back to Scotland someday before i die.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Close. Borders Northumberland. Go to Scotland every year on the bike. Ive walked, pushbiked, hitchhiked VW van, train + steam train at Fort will, Brilliant cant get enough of the highlands ( When the sun shines:cool: )
:beerchug:
Headin that way at end of may, touch wood...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Scotia,

I had to travel down to near Newcastle to get the bike a couple of years ago, I'm sure there must be more of them north of the border.

Aye the highlands are where it's at!

I'll definitely be taking my VN to Fort William at some point this summer.

Have fun at the end of May, if your going anywhere near Prestwick airport on the way up feel free to pop in.

Cheers, Trace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Trace,

I am from County Durham, about 30 minutes from Newcastle. Funnily enought bought my bike from Newcastle way (Morpeth). Just joined vn750.com, although had my bike for 9 years. Your right about been a rare bike.

Love Scotland. Used to go there every year. Love the Highlands and Recently discovered southwest coast and Portpatrick etc. really looking forward to getting up there on my bike one year.

Brothers wife from East Kilbride and also had family at Gretna.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi lh,

Good to meet you man! I know Portpatrick and East Kilbride quite well. Do you know Retrogaz he's from down your end. If you want to keep in touch drop me a pm with your e-mail address as I don't get time to check the vn750 forums very often at the moment.

Cheers, Trace.

·
Registered
21 Posts
am i the only scot here

hi Trace
No your not alone born bred in scotland bide in scotland nr lockerbie, have not long bought a vulcan 750 just because i had one a few years back couldnt resist its only done 6400 miles been sitting in some geezers shed i expect .
cheers charliefarlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another nyoob scot here. Born and bred in Killie (Kilmarnock for you non scots) been living in Hertfordshire for a while now. Would love to go back and do some biking up there. Great roads. Dumfries and Galloway also has some great roads.

·
2,586 Posts
Sadly it looks like Trace hasn't been on since 6-6-2012. Welcome to the group anyway!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I am also a Scotsman. Both sides of my family immigrated here from Scotland in the mid 1800s, so we haven't been here that long (didn't come over on the Mayflower and all that crap) My actual name is Gerald Scott. My ancestors settled in the South, and were farmers. I have no idea how or why my parents wound up in AZ when I was born, but they spent the rest of their lives here. I have a ton of relatives in Scott county Arkansas.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I'm a mix breed, scot, Cherokee, dutch, danish. I think the Scottish blood went into my red beard though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts