Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading how the VN750 is a high revver, a fast bike that "does 75 in third gear". But after 300 miles of riding it, a lot of the time (if not miles) in the city, I find myself shifting relatively conservatively: unless passing someone, in the city I shift up just around 3K RPM and downshift when it drops to around 1,700 RPM. On the highway I rev up to about 5K, maybe 5,500 RPM and then shift.

I notice that around 5K RPM the engine feels like I've reached some kind of threshold and the engine is pulling harder than it was before. I looked at the specs for this bike and the peak torque is at 5,500 RPM.

Am I bailing out just as I'm hitting the true sweet spot for acceleration?

Why would I want to "do 75 MPH in third gear" as opposed to 5th gear? I've hit 75 on the speedo and the engine's at around 5,500 RPM in 5th gear at that speed; if I wanted to go faster, wouldn't I just twist the throttle? What's the point of dropping to 4th, or even 3rd gear at that high a speed?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I ride in much the same way. I don't see it as being a "wussbag" just as riding conservatively. I also get tremendous MPGs when riding this way.

There's nothing wrong with riding it hard either, and it's nice to know the power is there if you need it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Guess it depends on my mood.

Mostly ride between 4-5k on the rpms. But more than once have done the 75mph in 3rd gear thing too. Maybe a little more than that. ;)

·
2,502 Posts
All I know is after 5K it really starts to haul. It's nice for when you're in the mood to play a little.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yea, it's nice to be able to twist the throttle at 75 MPH and be at 90 in a second or two.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I looked at the specs for this bike and the peak torque is at 5,500 RPM.

Am I bailing out just as I'm hitting the true sweet spot for acceleration?

Why would I want to "do 75 MPH in third gear" as opposed to 5th gear?
You are a girlee man...if that is you NEVER have wrung out the bike to "see what she can do"...

Most times I shifted early, got good MPG's and kept it serene. But every now and then I'd peg the throttle and shift when she screamed.

The point of shifting down or winding the engine out near redline to shift is not to go fast...but to go fast quicker. Torque may peak at 5k but HorsePower peaks at 7.5.
There is no reason to be cruising at 75 mph in 3rd gear, but if you want to get to 75 mph quickly..you stay in 3rd crack the throttle WFO and don't shift up till you get there.

Got to have fun now and then.............

KM

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have gotten mine 80 or 85 in 3rd, and it will go into the red. It is all for fun. It is not a need in my case. It is not like I do it all the time. Then I go into 4th and hit 95 to 100 shift into high and slow it up. The shield causes The front wheel to wobble at that speed. It is all for fun.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Because it sounds good, a v-twin screaming, yep, that's the sound. Only bike that sounds better is a XR750 Harley with - you guessed it, dirt track pipes.

;-)
DT

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have gotten mine 80 or 85 in 3rd, and it will go into the red. It is all for fun. It is not a need in my case. It is not like I do it all the time. Then I go into 4th and hit 95 to 100 shift into high and slow it up. The shield causes The front wheel to wobble at that speed. It is all for fun.
Yeah, nice uneasy feeling there. ;) Remember very well the first time I did that and got that same wobble. Thought I was gonna need a new seat.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Yes, you are a wuss!

Just kidding! WHen I was actually riding my VN my buddy used to say - slow down, it's a CRUISER. Meaning that you're supposed to cruise. There is nothing wrong with running at low RPMs, as long as you are not lugging the engine. These bikes don't really hit their power band until around 5k or so, so you're not really feeling the torque or power, but that def translates into better MPG!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the VN750 engine is the same one that Kawi puts in the 750 Ninja. It seems to make sense cause from about 4500 to 7000 is where the power is. I love dropping a gear when passing a cager on a two lane like they are going backwards.

I get to 7000 and I have to grab the next gear...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
No, the Ninja engine is a parallel twin while ours is a V twin. That and the displacement it 650. The ZX 6 is a horizontal inline 4 cylinder. The RPM limits on these bikes are in the 10k+ range.
I use the lower gears to get from zero to fast ASAP. Believe me, with Johnny Redneck and his "fast" pickup truck, I need this more often than I would like. Pulling out from my neighborhood in the morning is an adventure. Once on the road, things settle down, but these idiot out here think they are some NASCAR truck racer while going to work in the morning.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The trucks I can deal with. It's the late model, trash can exhaust, primer coated in 3 colors rice burners I have to watch out for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts