Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would throw this out there for those of you that are looking to relocate your rectifier. Having my engine out, I thought this would be a good time to do this. I decided to move mine to the inside surface of the L. side cover. I don't have any pictures but I'm sure you can picture it. Theres plenty of room and it keeps it out of sight and the weather. I used two 1 1/4" S.S. bolts along with two S.S.nuts, lock washers and two S.S. flat washers for the outside surface of the case. I used two round, 1/4" thick nylon bushings as spacers between the back of the rectifier and inside surface of the cover. Just use a little caution when drilling the 2 holes in the side cover. Theres plenty of clearance at the top and bottom of the 750 emblem. Although I don't think it was necessary, I ran a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts to the frame.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Inside the side cover will not allow much air for cooling to get past the r/r in my opinion.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I agree w/ OHC, air flow is VERY important...future problems may develope.
WilliamTech

·
2,527 Posts
Considering that is was mounted next to the Goats belly originally I would think this would still be an improvement if you wanted to hide it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
cudos for the idea.:smiley_th
At least there is someone thinking outside the box. I would also be afraid it might overheat or maybe melt the cover from the inside. I too am looking for an alternate location to hang the original R/R.

I wanted to do the relocation myself, but not so thrilled with it sitting on the left side since it is kinda ugly to begin with. I was looking at the battery box and see that there are a set of unused anchor nuts welded to the back of the battery box facing the rear tire. I wonder if that is a viable location for the R/R? Also curious what was that spot originally intended for?

On the 06, the cross member part of the frame above the goats belly is wide and flat, which I would assume serves as a pretty good heat deflector and insulates the R/R from direct heat off the exhaust system. I am just curious if other years are the same. I am on the fence about replacing the R/R with a Mosfet R/R or possible de-goating. My last option would be to hang the R/R behind the left passenger peg.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I looked at putting the R/R behind the sidecover too. I was going to install a screened vent on the side of the cover to let more air in. I was a bit concerned about having it so close to the plastic cover.

I never did relocate the R/R on my bike....and never really had a problem. It "sounds" like a good idea, but there are hundreds of 750s out there that are running fine with the units in the stock location.

I do remember seeing a photo where a member built a longer wiring harness and put the R/R in the front of the bike above the radiator. Seems like
the best place if you want the most airflow going over it.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I never relocated either of mine either, and never had a problem. I would be somewhat hesitant about drilling holes in the sidecovers, those things are not cheap, and it will definitely hurt resale value. If you plan to keep the bike till it will run no more, as I do mine, that would not necessarily be a consideration. But also be aware that the sidecover plastic is very brittle, and will crack over time if much stress is placed on it. I had an old sidecover once that I cut a 1" hole in (with a hole saw), put in a rubber grommet, and a chrome oil cap that I had laying around, just for decoration. The cover cracked at 2 places around where I cut the hole. I wouldn't want to drill/cut a nice cover.

The R/R on my '85 Goldwing was getting so hot that it damaged the plastic on the fake gas tank, with over a 2" air gap between the R/R and the plastic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the backup shunt type R/R relocated to the left hand side for more air altough I did not need to due to aftermarket pipes and degoat but thought it would be good for it to have more ventilation as it got really hot. Now I just left that one there and put a mosfet one under the battery tray. An improvement over the old R/R, doesnt get hot, not even warm and more steady current all through the rev range.....

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Before I gave up and went to a car alternator on my Goldwing, and after removing a bunch of unnecessary junk out from under the fake tank (trip computer, stereo amp, and cruise control) I actually mounted a very small but high powered 12V blower type fan under there and ran a duct directly from it to the R/R. It did work, and brought the R/R temp way down, but I went with the car alternator anyway, for several reasons. The first was reliability. I was afraid the stock stator or R/R would go out hundreds of miles from home, leaving me stranded, it didn't cost much more for the parts than it would have for a new stock R/R, it puts out more power than stock, but ONLY when needed, it is simple, with a one wire connection, it is easy to replace of it fails, replacing the stator requires removing the engine, and perhaps, most of all, it is a major improvement over Honda's STUPID design. It shows that some things CAN be done right. Honda was building cars in '85, and they did not come with shunt type R/Rs, why did their motorcycles? But then again, their cars didn't come with tube type tires either. Things haven't changed much in that area, they are now using electronic fuel injection, but STILL don't have a proper charging system, and perhaps the biggest oxymoron of all, they are putting ABS on bikes with tube type tires.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Back in the day, when I was first considering relocating my r/r, I thought it was a smart move for two basic reasons:

1) Heat is the enemy/death of all things electronic, and the increased airflow over the r/r out next to the bike's swingarm (and away from the goat's belly) would help the r/r internals last longer, and

2) Having seen what underneath battery boxes on other bikes look like after battery leaks (hint: eccccch!), let's just say that battery acid (or the potential for it) obviously doesn't do the r/r, or its multi-pin connector any good. However, going to a sealed (AGM) battery pretty much shoots this one in the foot.

Anyway, if you do chose to relocate it or not, be sure to thoroughly pack the multi-pin connector there with dielectric grease. RUST NEVER SLEEPS.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I did the same thing. I relocated mine there after I installed the mosfet R&R. I am not at all concerned about the heat as the mosfet does not get nearly hot enough to melt plastic. A stock R&R I would be leery of the location. But if you're not touching out side cover you'll "probably" be OK.

Glad to see you think out side the box!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts