Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan vn750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting some time into my vulcan. Prior to getting it. The motorcycle had been sitting in a dusty shop with old fuel for the better of 6 years. Thankfully most of the fuel was in the tank and not the carbs. A while back we were trying to start it up before I hauled it home and were somewhat successful. It would start and run with a shot of starting fluid and crack the throttle. The bike would run so long as we held the rpm above 1000rpm. I know starter fluid isn't recommended. As of now I was able to clean the pilot jets and main jets, now I am able to get the engine to run for a second before dying off again. Any ideas of what I'm missing.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Can you describe what's happening a bit more?

Does it have spark on both cylinders?

Are the plugs wet in both cylinders?

Both cylinders have compression? Obviously at least one has enough to fire, but it can be hard to start on one cylinder and even then the idle setting has to be cranked up almost double.

Idle speed is 1100, so holding the speed above 1000 is about normal.

Starting fluid is fine to use on a gas engine, on a diesel it can possibly damage glow plugs.

How is the battery? Does it seem to have good cranking speed? What is the voltage?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've rescued many bikes from garages, barns, woodsheds, backyards...
Pull the carbs and deep clean them, check for spark, check compression. You should be able to get it started after those procedures. But, after it's running, gremlins will pop up 👿

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you describe what's happening a bit more?

Does it have spark on both cylinders?

Are the plugs wet in both cylinders?

Both cylinders have compression? Obviously at least one has enough to fire, but it can be hard to start on one cylinder and even then the idle setting has to be cranked up almost double.

Idle speed is 1100, so holding the speed above 1000 is about normal.

Starting fluid is fine to use on a gas engine, on a diesel it can possibly damage glow plugs.

How is the battery? Does it seem to have good cranking speed? What is the voltage?
[
I had a cheap battery that I replace with a nicer one so now I have good crank speed. I do have fuel to the spark plugs. The back cylinder plugs were fouled front just wet. I tried running with just the front cylinder plugs and then just back and it seemed to only show life when all four are connected. I did some reading into how the carb works and believe I missed cleaning the "idle circuit". Think some sea foam into the idle screw adj. Hole might work?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I had a cheap battery that I replace with a nicer one so now I have good crank speed. I do have fuel to the spark plugs. The back cylinder plugs were fouled front just wet. I tried running with just the front cylinder plugs and then just back and it seemed to only show life when all four are connected. I did some reading into how the carb works and believe I missed cleaning the "idle circuit". Think some sea foam into the idle screw adj. Hole might work?
If you didn't clean the pilot jets you'll have to open the jet chambers and remove the pilots for cleaning.

There's also twenty or so emulsion holes on the side of the pilot jets, those all have to be clear, along with the center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you didn't clean the pilot jets you'll have to open the jet chambers and remove the pilots for cleaning.

There's also twenty or so emulsion holes on the side of the pilot jets, those all have to be clear, along with the center.
I did clean the pilot jet and main jet. Before I did that I couldn't get it to pop. I do think I missed the idle circuit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts