Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A proper hello to everyone here!!!
My name is Kostamos, I live in Austin TX and I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone in here!! You have helped me tons with your trouble-shootings, questions, answers and all around information!! I started reading about the VN750 even before I buy it!
I bought this 2006 VN750 for my birthday back in August, with only 5000 miles on it.
I knew the bike was sitting for a long time from the first owner...and the second owner put about 1000 miles only on it within almost 2 years. It was running fine but it wasn’t much taken care off. Also I never checked if it was recharging….

So……looks like I can finally be happy with the work I have put on my bike!!
After a long 2+ months (on & off) of working on my bike, I am very happy with the results!
Started with replacing easy stuff and painting parts…then changed tires, replacing turn signals, front master cylinder and lines…fork oil change and put a bit of extra preload….then the battery was dying again…replaced the battery but figured out that was a fried Regulator/Rectifier….so I replaced and upgraded to MOSFET R/R.
After that, for my bad luck, the Stator still didn’t have enough output voltage to recharge the battery. I had one short leg on the Ohm test. So I opened up the engine and replaced the Stator!
Of course when I finished the stator and I was ready to put it back, the old wire on the pickup coil snapped from the inside :/
…I had to change the pickup coils too….after I tried to soldering them and didn’t work out.
Oh, the coolant tank was cracked too,so guess what…? Discontinued item…I had to find the solution..! 😩
BUT, AFTER ALL…This bad ass baby now it’s ready!!! With almost 20% more power than before!!
I think it has more power either because of the electrosports Stator, the pickup coils for the Vulcan 1500-1600, R/R…or maybe the fresh oils and stuff…or maybe all together!! I don’t know, but I felt the difference right away from the 1st and 2nd gear!!
I loved every second of it…..even the day that I felt helpless and I was giving up aligning the engine back into position…
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I did everything by myself, first time ever working&owning a motorcycle.
Also, I just installed the LED headlight too…!! Funny thing is it looks like flickering in the first seconds but then when the rom settles , it’s fine. Do you think that will may need any modification?? I had already done the bypass headlight wire…
Big thank you everyone!! I hope you enjoy your rides forever and be alwa

P.S. the handlebars, cut out seat and exhaust, we’re the previous owner
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Fuel tank Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Good stuff, glad you got everything worked out. Hopefully the bike will treat you good now.

As far as the flickering headlight goes, it’s most likely because you upgraded to an LED bulb. If that the case and the flickering is annoying I’d do a search on the forum for “RLU bypass”. There’s a module near the battery that monitors the headlight current draw and since LED doesn’t draw as much as the incandescent bulb it thinks that the bulb is dead and is automatically switching back in forth from low to high beam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good stuff, glad you got everything worked out. Hopefully the bike will treat you good now.

As far as the flickering headlight goes, it’s most likely because you upgraded to an LED bulb. If that the case and the flickering is annoying I’d do a search on the forum for “RLU bypass”. There’s a module near the battery that monitors the headlight current draw and since LED doesn’t draw as much as the incandescent bulb it thinks that the bulb is dead and is automatically switching back in forth from low to high beam.
Thank you so very much !!
I hope I will enjoy it now for a while!! :)
Also,
You know what …???! Yeah it was doing this change to hi/low beam in the beginning too!! You can’t believe what I did it stoped it..!
I thought it was my mistake because I was curious and messing up with it a little..
On the carburetor, that little black valve that controls the idle balance….I had it a little lower... so, after I saw the flickering light on my dash going solid when you barely give throttle , I am like “let’s try it”. So I slightly turned it to more flow and it looks like it’s not doing it anymore.
of course there is still a tiny flickering on the actual headlight while in idle.
Over all I am very happy with everything!

·
Registered
VN 750 1994 RED/BLACK/SILVER
71 Posts
You get real joy, building bikes personally I have an aversion to LED headlights. great for being seen and spotting invertebrate life in hedgerows, but I have found them poor at focussing, when in use, particularly with standard headlight reflector bowls. I tested my bike using Osram Night Breakers bulbs against a mate's Vulcan 1600 with an LED conversion; riding in the country @ night, I felt that my filament powered bulb/light was crisper, sharper and gave more clarity, JMO. All my bikes are fitted with such bulbs. Power saving in of little use if you hit a pothole @ speed or go through a hedge. Also our roads are getting worse and many "Cats eyes" are missing, vital to night riding here on Winter nights or when it misty and foggy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You get real joy, building bikes personally I have an aversion to LED headlights. great for being seen and spotting invertebrate life in hedgerows, but I have found them poor at focussing, when in use, particularly with standard headlight reflector bowls. I tested my bike using Osram Night Breakers bulbs against a mate's Vulcan 1600 with an LED conversion; riding in the country @ night, I felt that my filament powered bulb/light was crisper, sharper and gave more clarity, JMO. All my bikes are fitted with such bulbs. Power saving in of little use if you hit a pothole @ speed or go through a hedge. Also our roads are getting worse and many "Cats eyes" are missing, vital to night riding here on Winter nights or when it misty and foggy.
I wasn’t very sure in the beginning, but there is a big difference on these lights comparing to what it had before..!!! Way more clear, more focus, more visibility and wider.
I don’t know…maybe I got lucky with the product! It’s cheap, you get two bulbs and the are advertising how much more focus you get especially on the high beams..and it’s true.
I did the same ride home at midnight, on a main but very dark road. It was a completely different situation on what and how better I could see.
That’s the product, just in case…

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts

For this very reason it’s key to find an LED that has the chips in the same orientation as the stock H4 bulb filaments. The first bulb I tried was junk, but the second I tried after I figured this out was a winner. Now my sight line is as good as my truck’s is.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I too use Osram Night Breakers in a Bosch lens. During the winter months I switch over to Hella Xtreme Yellow off road bulbs. Sweet. The PNW gets wet and foggy, I find the yellow (amber) bulbs to be easier on the eyes at night.

All bulbs on my VN are LED except the headlight. This helps maintain an even charge rate and the R/R runs cooler.

Enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts