Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda self explained! Sitting at a red light in the far right turn lane,guy in a jeep in the left side right turn lane! Left turn light s up I have a habbit when first at a light to double.check to make sure someone doesn't blast through the red light. Any who I have
my girlfriend on the back and I proceed to start.my left turn I just shifted into 3rd and he decided to come into.my.lane( I was right by his A piller), I didn't have the.rpms high enough to clear his.vehicle so a grabed all the rear and front brake I could with out locking the wheels he missed me.by inches ( I think.I.Stoped so.hard.our.helmets hit.eachother )! I pulled up to the next light and the a$$ hole rolled down the window and.apologized. I said if she wasn't on the back you would have had to.replace your doors because I.would.have kicked.it in! Next time.you should.pay attention it could have ended differently!

Im.posting.this from.my.phone.I.apologize for.the.typos im.just.saying.watch out.people. don't pay enough attention I.don't.want to read about anyones accidents!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Great that both you and your gf are safe! Always gotta remember to stay alert. A reminder now and then doesn't hurt (a typed reminder, not a car driving into your lane kind of reminder).

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im so going to update my sig on damn near $hitting myself yet again lol

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Kinda self explained! Sitting at a red light in the far right turn lane,guy in a jeep in the left side right turn lane! Left turn light s up I have a habbit when first at a light to double.check to make sure someone doesn't blast through the red light. Any who I have
my girlfriend on the back and I proceed to start.my left turn I just shifted into 3rd and he decided to come into.my.lane( I was right by his A piller), I didn't have the.rpms high enough to clear his.vehicle so a grabed all the rear and front brake I could with out locking the wheels he missed me.by inches ( I think.I.Stoped so.hard.our.helmets hit.eachother )! I pulled up to the next light and the a$$ hole rolled down the window and.apologized. I said if she wasn't on the back you would have had to.replace your doors because I.would.have kicked.it in! Next time.you should.pay attention it could have ended differently!

Im.posting.this from.my.phone.I.apologize for.the.typos im.just.saying.watch out.people. don't pay enough attention I.don't.want to read about anyones accidents!
Glad to hear both of you are ok with no injuries.

So were you in a right turn lane or a left turn lane?

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear both of you are ok with no injuries.

So were you in a right turn lane or a left turn lane?
There are two left turn lanes I was in the right the jeep was in the left

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
We have a few of those intesections around here. I always keep my eyes on the other vehicles in that situation. I've had similar experiences where the other vehicle tends to casually slip into my lane. Glad to hear everyone is Ok.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

Glad you were able to avoid that collision,especially with 2 up on the bike. At least the guy apologized. Around here they just give you the finger and take off.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
You have more patience and self control than I sir. I would have still kicked in his door even with wife on the back. But then again I don't think someone like that would be worth scuffing my boot anyway.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am glad you are safe. I never had a cager say they were sorry for almost hitting me. I tell people on my facebook page, If you hit a biker with your car and he stands up, you better lock your doors and dial 911. If you kill a biker you will be haunted by the ghost the rest of your life!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Be glad you are ok, you could have been in his blind spot, no harm was done, and he did say he was sorry... I think that's just a case where you should be thankful all turned out ok...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Glad you and the GF are okay. While riding I try to keep all cagers going in the same direction as myself to the right of me and when I pull up to a light, I give a twist of the throttle so the cagers next to me are aware of my presence. VRRROOOOMM!

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Sorry but I see this as your fault. Anytime you are in the outside turn lane and there is a car in the inside turn lane as you discribed, you should expect them to cross over into your lane as they are making the turn. I see cars do this all the freaking time.

Worse on double right turn lanes when they are in the inside lane..

So when the light turns I always hang back and let them go first..this way I can stay behind them rather than beside them and alter my turn when/if they start to cross the line. I toot of the horn to remind them they are sweeping out too far helps many times too.

Your fault here is assuming he would stick in his lane when turning, and you should never assume a driver is going to do anything.... but try and hit you ;)...............

KM

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry but I see this as your fault. Anytime you are in the outside turn lane and there is a car in the inside turn lane as you discribed, you should expect them to cross over into your lane as they are making the turn. I see cars do this all the freaking time.

Worse on double right turn lanes when they are in the inside lane..

So when the light turns I always hang back and let them go first..this way I can stay behind them rather than beside them and alter my turn when/if they start to cross the line. I toot of the horn to remind them they are sweeping out too far helps many times too.

Your fault here is assuming he would stick in his lane when turning, and you should never assume a driver is going to do anything.... but try and hit you ;)...............

KM
No this happend after the turn like I just shifted into 3rd gear out of the turn

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
No this happend after the turn like I just shifted into 3rd gear out of the turn
From your discription this is not what it sounded like, so sorry if I misunderstood. Shiftig to 3rd only gives me a clue as to your speed not your position on the road.

Then have to ask exactly where were you in relation to the Jeep as you went through the turn? If you were behind him as I suggested that would mean after you both turned and were going straight...you began to pass him on the right??

To me it just sounds like you were in his blind spot when he began to move over in your lane.

Bottom line here is no one got hurt, you are ok the bike did not fall over and the guy even appologised. So not sure why the "almost got into it.." subject line when , sorry, still sounds like you were not paying attention to what you were doing...and neither was the jeep driver.

If you get to the brink of physical violence every time some turd in a 4 wheeler does something stupid you might want to just stop riding bikes as they will never stop doing this. After 40 years on the road I can tell you they have only gotten worse, and have actually become more sneeky.

I know the phrase in not PC, but am going to use it here for explaination purposes only. Think of every driver on the road as being retarded. (Yes they still are out to kill you, that never changes) , but try see them as a bunch of retarded folks just driving cars. You can not blame them when they do something stupid or just odd......because they are retarded. You can't blame a blind man for not seeing and you can't blame a retarded person for doing something, uh , retarded.

You should always expexct them to do retarded things, and if you miss one, it really is your fault for not expecting it, because you should know the odds are they might do it, because they are retarded and just do not know any better.

You can actually be retarded and pass a driving test. You can be legally deaf, or blind in one eye, and still drive. There are old folks out there that can barely see , have the reaction time of a slug, and may even be senile, but they are all driving a car.

So don't expect alot out of them. And always be constantly aware that they are all trying to kill you..... and it is your mission to keep a step ahead of them.

Actually getting an appology from one of them is rare, cherish it. ;)

KM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Glad your safe. I never stay in the blind spot if I can help it. You almost need to be able to read minds to know what a cage is going to do. I usally need to make eye contact with driver but even that isnt a guarentee.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From your discription this is not what it sounded like, so sorry if I misunderstood. Shiftig to 3rd only gives me a clue as to your speed not your position on the road.

Then have to ask exactly where were you in relation to the Jeep as you went through the turn? If you were behind him as I suggested that would mean after you both turned and were going straight...you began to pass him on the right??

To me it just sounds like you were in his blind spot when he began to move over in your lane.

Bottom line here is no one got hurt, you are ok the bike did not fall over and the guy even appologised. So not sure why the "almost got into it.." subject line when , sorry, still sounds like you were not paying attention to what you were doing...and neither was the jeep driver.

If you get to the brink of physical violence every time some turd in a 4 wheeler does something stupid you might want to just stop riding bikes as they will never stop doing this. After 40 years on the road I can tell you they have only gotten worse, and have actually become more sneeky.

I know the phrase in not PC, but am going to use it here for explaination purposes only. Think of every driver on the road as being retarded. (Yes they still are out to kill you, that never changes) , but try see them as a bunch of retarded folks just driving cars. You can not blame them when they do something stupid or just odd......because they are retarded. You can't blame a blind man for not seeing and you can't blame a retarded person for doing something, uh , retarded.

You should always expexct them to do retarded things, and if you miss one, it really is your fault for not expecting it, because you should know the odds are they might do it, because they are retarded and just do not know any better.

You can actually be retarded and pass a driving test. You can be legally deaf, or blind in one eye, and still drive. There are old folks out there that can barely see , have the reaction time of a slug, and may even be senile, but they are all driving a car.

So don't expect alot out of them. And always be constantly aware that they are all trying to kill you..... and it is your mission to keep a step ahead of them.

Actually getting an appology from one of them is rare, cherish it. ;)

KM
Oh I totally agree!!! Scary thy have head phones at the test station to get a fricking drivers licences if you can t read!!!! Scary!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hopefully your lesson learned from this incident is to not position your bike in another vehicles blind spot. Are you a new rider?

I am not sure kicking anything while piloting a motorcycle is a wise idea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hopefully your lesson learned from this incident is to not position your bike in another vehicles blind spot. Are you a new rider?

I am not sure kicking anything while piloting a motorcycle is a wise idea.
I have wondered this myself, I would think kicking a car would throw you off balance, then again I am a new rider and have not tried it.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have wondered this myself, I would think kicking a car would throw you off balance, then again I am a new rider and have not tried it.
Well let me put it this way, you know how cagers pull out in front of you, thats because they are the big boys, now if you were a semi, say with a float and dozer they wouldn't think about pulling out in front of you...
Point being they are still the big guy...lol...
And yes if you have rode dirt bikes, you should know what kicking something or your foot hitting something will do, it don't by no means help anything unless you are already goin down...lol...
Somewhere there is an old pair of lineman boots, that I threw away with the right one having a flat square like toe due to a stump that was close to the bike, so I know what it will do to a big toe and a 250 Bultaco Pursang...
BTW-I don't kick anything anymore...lol...
Have a good one Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts