Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone may i first say what an awesome website you have here :smiley_th

Ok a few days ago my bike started to grumble at me like i was losing some power and it didnt want to run for about 1 to 2 seconds at a time almost like a complete loss of power while t was running, i have just gone out to start her up and to my amazement all my lights work but when i press the start switch i get nothing.
I get no spark no clicks "nothing" but everything else on my bike works, its a VN 750 1986 if it helps at all, also it has a new AGM battery fully charged new JB and only had a new stator put in a month ago.
I have tried all the earths and can find nothing lose or corroded and im at a total loss pls help me:doh:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It could be the soleniod. By pass the two big connections to it with a screw driver. Make sure bike is in neutral.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Hmmm. Definitely agree with niterider and I'd Also check the neutral switch. If you pull the clutch lever and try do you get any action? Try and give as much detail about what happens on that momentary power loss to help determine if it is fuel or ignition related. When it happens, it the loss total as if you turned off the key, or is it more like a sputter as if a cylinder dropped out? does it back fire when it comes back? If it's a total loss then you've got a main wire either shorting out or losing connection. Hope this helps some.
Dave

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
That happened to me a couple of times, and I realized that I had left my kickstand down! :doh:

That's probably not your problem, though...

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
That happened to me a couple of times, and I realized that I had left my kickstand down! :doh:
Ha ha, but wouldn't it still crank if you pull the clutch in?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
It could be the soleniod. By pass the two big connections to it with a screw driver. Make sure bike is in neutral.
X2 Also make sure the solenoid ground cable is grounded good and check the power cable for a bad connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi and ty for all your fast reply's to my post, i have taken her to my local bike mechanic and he says it sounds like the solonoid also but will take a closer look into it while i have my carbs bowls cleaned jetted and rebalanced i will let you all know the outcome once its all fixed and purring again :smiley_th

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly the loss in power i was getting was due to a torn carb diaphragm at a cost of £70 new (about 90 dollars) and the problem of the solonoid is on going as carbs need to be fixed , jetted and cleaned, assembled, synched before the solonoid can be tested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this happened to me, i checked the basics, starter, solenoind, etc. found that it was the wiring harness that attatched to the clutch lever, it looked plugged in, but grabbed it and it fell out, plugged it back up till i heard the click of it seating, no problems since

·
Registered
18 Posts
i did have the loss of power as well on the ride before i parked it, if that harness comes unplugged it will kill the engine, it has a circuit in the system that must recieve a reference signal, its not a open/closed type switch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just as you all said it was the solonoid ;) after he put the carbs back together and put in a new solonoid it started straight up and runs great,
but since i have had more problems then i first thought then when she went in the shop to get fixed im getting my mechanic to do a compression test to check if its running properly and everything is ok.
Thankyou for the info and comments back ;)

·
Banned
448 Posts
Check your ignition switch for corrosion. Or you can wiggle the key while you try to crank it to see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow what a difference, the new Diaphragm has her pulling right of the mark nice and fast and now i have a new solonoid and starter relay my lights are nice and bright again ;) my VN 750 is now back to being an awesome bike

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 Also make sure the solenoid ground cable is grounded good and check the power cable for a bad connection.
Actually JM, the starter solenoid/relay is not grounded directly. The *cable from the POS (+) battery terminal is connected to one solenoid post and the other post is connected to the cable going directly to the positive terminal on the starter. The starter case grounds to the frame. :)

Wow what a difference, the new Diaphragm has her pulling right of the mark nice and fast and now i have a new solonoid and starter relay my lights are nice and bright again ;) my VN 750 is now back to being an awesome bike
This is just semantics I guess, but I refer to the part as a starter solenoid or relay interchangeably. Two names for the same component. If I understand correctly, there is also another relay in the starter circuit inside the JB.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Actually JM, the starter solenoid/relay is not grounded directly. The W/R cable from the POS (+) battery terminal is connected to one solenoid post and the other post is connected to the cable going directly to the positive terminal on the starter. The starter case grounds to the frame. :)

This is just semantics I guess, but I refer to the part as a starter solenoid or relay interchangeably. Two names for the same component. If I understand correctly, there is also another relay in the starter circuit inside the JB.
Old hoss, the solenoid case is mounted in a rubber holder that does not ground. There are two small wires one is a + to activate the solenoid and the other grounds it. And you have the two main connections one 12 v current for the starter. Bottom line case does not ground.

My mistake You said starter case.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Old hoss, the solenoid case is mounted in a rubber holder that does not ground. There are two small wires one is a + to activate the solenoid and the other grounds it. And you have the two main connections one 12 v current for the starter. Bottom line case does not ground.

My mistake You said starter case.
That`s alright niterider. I thought I made a mistake once,....But I was wrong. lol :)

Actually I did make a mistake in the previous post when I said the cable from the POS (+) battery post to the starter solenoid/relay was W/R. I edited the mistake out but referenced it with a star * in reason for editing. The W/R wire goes to the wiring harness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts