Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am on getting the vn ready for the warmer weather and i notice the brake discs are very groovy !,,i had a advisory on the ministry test last year. What i am wondering is (because vn750s are not to common in england) and discs are priced at £100 EACH,,thats about $167. Is it possible to use discs off another kawasaki or any other model out there ?. I searched this sight for info,,but drew blank. Just wondering if anyone out there knows if its possible !,,i know i can get different discs of any other bike for a quarter of the price of the VN. many thanks. :doh:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. But the shipping costs from USA to uk are mega bucks !. I have been searching ebay for months,and only ever came across 1 pair,unfortunatly not much better than mine,and very pricey too !. Just thought if a pair would fit off a kawasaki whatever,i could get them for minimum cost in comparison. cheers. I might try and grind the grooves out before its ministry of transport test !!.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
All discs get "grooves"... The question is how well does the bike stop? Pads will break into what looks like a worn disc...

From my info... You can't machine the vulcan discs... So unless the bike is not stopping well, a few "grooves" don't mean crap as long as the bike stops well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All discs get "grooves"... The question is how well does the bike stop? Pads will break into what looks like a worn disc...

From my info... You can't machine the vulcan discs... So unless the bike is not stopping well, a few "grooves" don't mean crap as long as the bike stops well.
Yes,i agree with you 100%. BUT,the vehicle tester here in the UK say's otherwise !,i argued the point with him last year !. hmmm,,maybe ill try and bribe him !,cheaper than new discs !!:)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
KM is completely right. Even if it seems badly grooved, it's the thickness that matters. You can install new pads on grooved discs, and they will bed in quickly to fit the grooves. BUT, I understand your problem. Here we have emissions tests, and no matter how good the vehicle is running, or how safe it is, you can't get it registered until you pass one of those communist type things.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution. I have no way to cross-reference Kawasaki part numbers to see if those discs are used on any other bikes. Like many carbs, I'd say there is a good possibility they are, I just don't know what. You are lucky on the price, they are $270 each here. The disc on my Yamaha XT225, which is common in the UK, where it is called the "Serow" is $35. It's a little smaller, but not nearly enough to account for that kind of difference in price.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Isn't there a parts cross reference link here on the forum? That might help, but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the parts cross referance is at http://www.ronayers.com/Products/N/75796

and it is only used on the vn750's...

another idea is to use an aftermarket break kit and build a mounting bracket for your caliper, and use a universal rotor
Hey,,thanks. Thats a very useful piece of information to have at hand !!. Im sure many members can make use of the information you have highlighted here !. Once again,thank you for your time and effort to answer my request for help on this matter. cheers :smiley_th

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey up Rev don't want to rub it in but my discs are in great shape, maybe you should have bidded on ebay for the bike you would have loads of parts lol:smiley_th

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey up Rev don't want to rub it in but my discs are in great shape, maybe you should have bidded on ebay for the bike you would have loads of parts lol:smiley_th
yeah,,funny you should say that as im watching one on ebay at the moment !!. Its an 85,its at shrewsbury. If you want to see it the ebay No is
180808290814. I always put them on watch when they come up !.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts