Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up some tire for my ride.. I ended up with the 230's a little over sized. Got the 110 and the 170. I was wondering if anyone found they need more air or should I stick with the normal 28/32 psi?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've found that the stock air pressure rec by Kawasaki is too low for me (250lbs) I'm running Shinko's at 34/36 psi. I get a good ride while maintaining tread on the road. The only psi listed on the tires is the max pressure of 41/42. That tends to wear the center of the tire out and makes for a dangerous ride when wet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the Shinko 230's I installed the front last night.. The side of the tire is rated at 41 psi and I put in 32.. I'm also using Dyna beads. I was wondering what speed I might feel something wrong with the balance if it has issues.. I took her up to 50-55 when I got done and it feels fine so far.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I bought the Shinko 230's I installed the front last night.. The side of the tire is rated at 41 psi and I put in 32.. I'm also using Dyna beads. I was wondering what speed I might feel something wrong with the balance if it has issues.. I took her up to 50-55 when I got done and it feels fine so far.
FWIW, I read some advice a while back that the air pressure in the tire should rise by 3 psi from cold after 30 minutes of highway riding.

If it rises more, the tire needs to be inflated more.
If it rises less, the tire needs some air let out.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Seems to me that if your tires are rated at 41 psi max, and the pressure should rise 3 psi when going highway speeds, you might want to inflate to 38 psi cold, then follow Gordan's instructions above to fine tune it. One word of caution however, it's more likely that you'll blow a tire if you UNDER inflate them because they run too hot when under-inflated. In my experience, I run my tires at max inflation pressure and lower them only if I feel they loose traction, say on tight curves or fast starts/stops or wet pavement, or if I notice more wear in the center of the tread than on the edge. Higher pressure will give you better gas mileage too. Your dyna-beads should help keep your tires balanced at any speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I looked around the net, and from I read, if you are looking for tire pressure recommendations from Shinko..."rots-of-ruck"....

One article said to run what's on the side of the tire, another said they tried that and the tire severely wore badly.

I'd start off with what dirtrack is using and check them as mentioned above.

If you have one of those infer-red tempature gauges, just look for the pressure that has the coolest tempature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts