Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i wanna try something im about to buy a color tune so the first question is do u think its worth it?

2nd question and the reason im starting this thread ive read in diffrent motorcycle books that proper adjustment with the air mixture screw comes with watching rpms and turning 1/4 turn past a specific point (when rpms change ect)

The question i have is claymore and the kawi book dont have a procedure to setting these screws i was curiouse if there is a way to tune this setup by listening to rpms...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Back in the day, LOL The way carbs were adjusted was to use a vacuum gauge and set to the highest steadiest vacuum reading. Generally IIRC, 17-21 lbs vacuum. I have a carbtune setup that I use. It is a bar type vacuum gauge that can be used for 1-4 cylinders. Using it enables me to set the carbs at the highest vacuum and also enables me to balance them so the front and rear cylinders are equal. Probably the reason you dont see anything in the manuals is because the adjustment screws are set at the factory and then sealed to prevent tampering.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Back in the day, LOL The way carbs were adjusted was to use a vacuum gauge and set to the highest steadiest vacuum reading. Generally IIRC, 17-21 lbs vacuum. I have a carbtune setup that I use. It is a bar type vacuum gauge that can be used for 1-4 cylinders. Using it enables me to set the carbs at the highest vacuum and also enables me to balance them so the front and rear cylinders are equal. Probably the reason you dont see anything in the manuals is because the adjustment screws are set at the factory and then sealed to prevent tampering.
Carbtune and Colortune are two different things. Carbtune lets you syncronize multiple carbs. Colortune lets you see in the combustion chamber to adjust air/fuel muxture for optimal burn. :beerchug:

Trying to adjust air/fuel mixture by listning would be like having a blind man paint your house. :doh: Use the Colortune.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I gotta google this color tune deal, I think I want one.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Carbtune and Colortune are two different things. Carbtune lets you syncronize multiple carbs. Colortune lets you see in the combustion chamber to adjust air/fuel muxture for optimal burn. :beerchug:

Trying to adjust air/fuel mixture by listning would be like having a blind man paint your house. :doh: Use the Colortune.
I know I quoted myself but I just Googled the color tune tool and watched it on you tube ,That thing is the Bomb,I will own one!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
ipfreely, you said "Generally IIRC, 17-21 lbs vacuum." Is that actually "cm hg" or "in hg" instead of pounds? Checking my vacuum and using you for reference.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
On the 4's, like my KZ's, you start and warm the bike and adjust the idle to OEM spec. Then you use the #1 carb idle mix screw and turn it in 1/4 turn increments turning it out until you achieve the highest rpms, then turn it back 1/4 turn and re-adjust idle speed back to OEM. Then you repeat the procedure for carb 2 and so on. Once all of them are at the optimum setting, you THEN use the vacuum set to sync the carbs... Don't know about the procedure on a v-twin for this, but I would assume it would be the same...

Using this procedure, I had my KZ's running perrrrfect, if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
721 Posts
On the 4's, like my KZ's, you start and warm the bike and adjust the idle to OEM spec. Then you use the #1 carb idle mix screw and turn it in 1/4 turn increments turning it out until you achieve the highest rpms, then turn it back 1/4 turn and re-adjust idle speed back to OEM. Then you repeat the procedure for carb 2 and so on. Once all of them are at the optimum setting, you THEN use the vacuum set to sync the carbs... Don't know about the procedure on a v-twin for this, but I would assume it would be the same...

Using this procedure, I had my KZ's running perrrrfect, if you know what I mean!
Once I get mine back together, I will give that a try...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts