Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, when it rains, it pours. First the carb problem, then the coolant, now the front tire. I took it out for a ride around the block, and it was acting really squirrely. No pressure in the front tire. I aired it up and hit it with a spray of soapy water, turns out that it is leaking in two little spots between the rim and the tire. What caused that? Weird. Will that slime stuff fix it?

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
NO.

Slime might help with punctures, but leaky rims need to be cleaned.

(Slime is horrible stuff anyway and should only be used in an extreme emergency)

You need to break the tire down off the bead and clean the rim where the tire contacts it, You should also clean off the tire...a nylon scouring pad and soapy water work well.

Sometimes you can get a tire to re-seal by inflating it with more pressure....like 60-80 pounds ...then backing it off to the reccomended psi.
But most times only breaking the bead down and cleaning the rim will do it.
Mark the spots where the leaks are so you know where to concentrate your work. Also make sure the rim is not bent , dinged or cracked there ...ditto the same for checking the tire.

I had one used bike a bought that it looked like some clown had used a screwdriver to wrestle on the tire and tore a gap in the tire where it seats on the rim. Only option there is to get a new tire or instal a inner tube....

KM
KM

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya know, it's as if God wants me to sell it. I'm still unemployed, and money is something I don't have. I have something like 7000 miles on this tire, strange that this would suddenly show up. I'm starting to wonder if someone swapped bikes when I wasn't looking. I'll try the high pressure thing before taking it to the shop.

I know there's a better product than slime, what's it called?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Corrosion build up happens on aluminum rims, and creates the leaks near the rim edge. (unless it was smacked and dented or gouged with a tool).

Cleaning is the best way to go, as anything else is pretty much just a "band-aid".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts