Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend in checking out that hose on the right ear which we don't know what its for I took off my air filter and the foam basically crumbled in my hands. I don't know how old it is, probably original I'm ashamed to say, or the wrong type of solution was used to clean it. Anyway while I was at the KAW dealer today I asked how much for a set of new ones and they told me $55, arghhhhh!!!, then I asked them how much for a set of K&N filters and they said $75. :boxing:

Here's my question....Are these prices inflated do you think and any experiences with the K&N's? I know the K&N's will last longer, plus no foam to deal with, but are they worth the extra mulah?

Anybody know of a good place to look for these filters, K&N and original, replacements?

Thanks again :notworthy

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this .........but I am using Tee shirt material
wrapped around the the wire support that held the foam filter......I have to say I have not had any problems and it has been 7,200 miles that I have been using this method.two layers of material seem to work well and costs nothing and last quite awhile......OK go ahead and fire away....I'll duck

·
Registered
553 Posts
Artman, If I were you you I would have a oil analysis done to see how much dirt is in your oil, may also want to cut your filter open and take a look see. A regular air filter will take out material down to 20-30 microns where T-shirt would probably let in 100 micron size particles. A human hair is about 100 microns in diameter but there are only about 5 microns of clearance between your crank and bearings= big pieces of dirt wedging themselfs in side your motor. Shame on you, you should have a least used polyester.(just kidding) better get some real filter material on there before it is to late.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it. I would search for it... but i cant seem to serch well on here. Maybe one of you search gurus can find it... I think they made it out of standard foam stock material and used like liquid nails to make the filter.... prolly would cost alot less then stock... And there is almost no advantage to moving to K&N over stock other then cleaning ability.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it.
THIS is one I found that mentions making a filter.
And THIS one has slight mention of making one.
I also found THIS one which talks about the K&N's letting more dirt in than stock filters on company trucks.
I've only once bought a K&N, when I rebuilt the top end on my XR dirtbike. I can't say if it improved performance really, because of the other work I did to the bike at the same time.
I don't think they're all they say they are as far as being any better, unless you're looking for any improvement you can get, no matter how slight, as in for racing type applications.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Woody !!!! How many microns would panty hose let through ?
My G/F has lots of those, layin' around here.

Seriously though, I ride everyday at least 75 miles and change the oil quite frequently. South Florida is always hot and there is no shortage of dirt and dust down here, so changing filters was getting very expensive and the shirt thing seems to be working with frequent changings. It ain't for everybody. But it seems to be working for me.....I have less problems than NASA has with the space shuttle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it. I would search for it... but i cant seem to serch well on here. Maybe one of you search gurus can find it... I think they made it out of standard foam stock material and used like liquid nails to make the filter.... prolly would cost alot less then stock... And there is almost no advantage to moving to K&N over stock other then cleaning ability.
I am the guy who thought the OEM filters were lousey. We have HEPA filter material here at work. I glued it to the wire frames using superglue.

UPSIDE - It works a lot better
DOWNSIDE - Can't clean it. every 3K - 5K I have to make new ones, but it really does a good job.

Stan

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
stan said:
I am the guy who thought the OEM filters were lousey. We have HEPA filter material here at work. I glued it to the wire frames using superglue.

UPSIDE - It works a lot better
DOWNSIDE - Can't clean it. every 3K - 5K I have to make new ones, but it really does a good job.

Stan
Stan, do you oil the home made filters?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think if thats workin for you thats great.Put a little bit of light oil on before you install new ones.As far as getting debris in your oil thats highly unlikly its pretty tough getting past those rings.........

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow guys, and gals, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to just go with the stock filters. I do appreciate all the opinions.

How often does everyone feel they need to change/clean the filters and what do you use to clean them??

·
Registered
154 Posts
yea, I lightly oil it using air cleaner oil for foam air filters...spray on type

·
Registered
65 Posts
JohnBoy750 said:
Wow guys, and gals, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to just go with the stock filters. I do appreciate all the opinions.

How often does everyone feel they need to change/clean the filters and what do you use to clean them??

When you can't see day light through it. Check them frequently, say, once a month.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i just use clean motor oil every 2-3 oil changes and lightly oil it... you can also use the foam oil stuff mentioned before....

K&N filters improve alot over paper filters......almost nothing over foam filters though....

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yeah, its just the K&N filter recharge kit.... you can also use simmilar products.... should be about 20 or so bucks and it lasts a few changes

·
fuzz
138 Posts
k/n

i think k-n filters are crap , i had a handa civic cage , put the k-n on and a few months later the cage ran like crap , i found out that the filter was shedding so it killed my mass air flow censer , my censor was covered with red fuzz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts