Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. I think I've found the popping problem. Upon inspection, my VN750 does not have air filters. Would this cause popping at steady cruise speeds? I can accelerate and deccelerate with no popping at all, only steady cruise speeds around 3000-3500 RPM. Also, where can I get some air filters? I don't want K&N, unless they're really worth the money.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can buy the filters from most any Kawasaki dealer. I bought some for my wifes 750 from a local dealer. Not having air filters is not good as the carbs will be sucking dirt right into the cylinders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to make some filters out of quarter inch prefilter media. Sewn to the cage it worked perfectly. I only had to make the air/fuel mix adjustments back to normal. I'll tell ya, the guys that say to screw in all the way to set the start, and then out two and a quarter turns or two and a half turns was right on the money. Two and a half turns and ole Greenwing was running like a top. Drilled four holes in each exhaust baffle as well to get more flow. PERFECT. I still have some pinging at cruise around 3200 RPM. Gonna clean the carbs first chance I get. I'll bet she's been sucking crud for some time now. The guy I bought the bike from said he never checked the air filters. He had the bike for two years. I can safely assume that the carb cells are dirty. Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
chasu99 said:
I was able to make some filters out of quarter inch prefilter media. Sewn to the cage it worked perfectly. I only had to make the air/fuel mix adjustments back to normal. I'll tell ya, the guys that say to screw in all the way to set the start, and then out two and a quarter turns or two and a half turns was right on the money. Two and a half turns and ole Greenwing was running like a top. Drilled four holes in each exhaust baffle as well to get more flow. PERFECT. I still have some pinging at cruise around 3200 RPM. Gonna clean the carbs first chance I get. I'll bet she's been sucking crud for some time now. The guy I bought the bike from said he never checked the air filters. He had the bike for two years. I can safely assume that the carb cells are dirty. Thanks
Hopefully there has been no damage / scoring to the cylinder walls from dirt particles getting inside. You might add some SeaFoam to the fuel to help keep things clean and open. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts