Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to clean and re-oil my aiir filters tonight and the right side came apart just fine however on my left side box, the 2 interior 10mm bolts would not come out. They simply would not loosen. Could the interior sleeve be stripped or how would they not come out:confused:

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's all plastic, so it is stripped out. Best way to take the bolt out is to use something like a razor blade behind the bolt head and pull as you turn to help reverse it out. Im sure once you get it backed out about a quarter inch it will be spin right out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they aint comin out.. cant get anything behind the head to make it turn without it all turning..bummin me out

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The metal sleeve the 10mm bolts screws into is molded into the plastic of the air filter housing, but not very well. So far I've had no issues with my '02, but the same thing happened on the '93. Both the plastic bosses that the sleeves are molded into were cracked. I managed to get the sleeves out, then get the bolts out of them, and put them back in place. I then took two small hose clamps and tightened them good around the plastic bosses, which held the steel inserts in solid. Never had any more problems. It's just a quality control problem. It's fixable unless you break those plastic bosses plumb off, then you will need another air filter housing.

Try ViseGrips On the bolt heads, pull and wiggle them back and forth at the same time, but be easy. Hopefully you can get the inserts out without breaking the filter housing.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
If needed I have both ear boxes---

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the filter ended up coming out around the screen in one piece so i go everything done on that side for now. I wont go through that again though, so I'll look for the airboxes later

·
Registered
445 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Guy that I got the bike from over tightened the bolts and the plastic/wire cage was broken. I did get them off by removing the ears and using some Vice-grips to hole the nut. Changed and oiled the filters and ears back on. But I just picked up two ears from MaDeInSin, thanks man... enjoyed the short visit, and when it comes time to clean the filters again the new ears will go back on, taking care to not over tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Old thread but thought I'd find an existing one!

I had the same proplem as OP, and I got one of the bolts to come out by snugging the housing and bolt together by pressing a screwdriver into the back of the bolt while loosening the from the other side.

The second bolt, however, won't budge.

Should I just drill it out, grab the cage, and pick up a new air filter housing? I only need the bottom part...but If I can find a way to fix these and put them back together functionally instead of ordering a new part that would be great...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts