Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my air filters out for cleaning, it's been far too long. During cleaning, the two filter parts (flat top and oval sides) came apart. How can I reattach them? Tried contact cement, it just soaked into the foam without sticking.

New filters are expen$ive. I'd rather repair the ones I've got.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I would think a good solvent resistant silicone would work.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I'm not sure if using any type of glue would be a great idea. Wherever the glue goes, airflow won't. You might have to bite the bullet and $pend some buck$ to get new filter$. Your engine will appreciate it. Many people don't fully appreciate the importance of good air filters. They're actually extremely important. You can use cheaply made ones, but you should change them out much more frequently. Or you can use well made ones, but you still need to clean them regularly. A dirty/clogged great filter is worse than a new cheapo. The only difference between them is the well made ones will last through a lot more cleanings and still hold up well.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Took my air filters out for cleaning, it's been far too long. During cleaning, the two filter parts (flat top and oval sides) came apart. How can I reattach them? Tried contact cement, it just soaked into the foam without sticking.

hey bro if u dont get them fixed i got a couple used ones u could get real cheap make me an offer and add some shippin to it and u got your self a set of 2 off of my 91 .... granted they have been off for about a year now due to my ear shave. pm me if there is any way for me to help u out here

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Just few weeks ago a thread showed that some guy made his own. If you make some templates and find some place that has foam you can make your own. I made my own and used the contact glue on the new foam and it worked fine. The originals are glued,if you check your old filters you can see that they are glued together. You just have to find the same thickness of foam, to do the job. It can be tedious, but can be done. I have been using mine for the last 3000 miles and no trouble. No carb trouble that is, bike runs just fine. You can try, it will save you alot of money.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of glue did you use, weh44att?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Duct tape.

3M makes a spray adhesive I have used on foam with success. There is one that is a "temporary" adhesive and one that is a "perminate" one....which is the one you want. Test it on a small piece first, as some foams don't work with it.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/SprayAdhesive/Product-Information/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00_assetType=MMM_Article&PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00_assetId=1114288967568&PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00_univid=1114288967568#7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE204A00

KM

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Filters semi-fixed. First, tried contact cement; no good, it just soaked into the foam without becoming sticky. Then, tried Testors "Cement for Metal and Wood Models" (available at any hobby store). It worked fine.

In the meantime, ordered replacement filters, they should arrive Thu or Fri. It's supposed to rain this weekend, I better ride before that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts