Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances that my VN750 will cool properly without liquid cooling?

I'm rebuilding an VN750 from top to bottom and I'm wondering if it will be possible to get rid of the radiator, fan, coolant tank etc..
A lot of bikes have air cooling instead of liquid and therefore use heat sinks to increase the surface. Will the few heat sinks on the VN750 engine be enough to cool the bike without liquid cooling?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I would think maybe enough on a cool fall or winter day, but probably not on a hot summer day.

But then why would you even want to get rid of all that. It has been my understanding that air cooled bikes overheat fastet than liquid cooled on a hot summer day, especially if you're stuck in traffic.

Personally, it's one of the better feature of our bikes. IMO I would think it would be better to have liquid cooled over air cooled.

·
Registered
175 Posts
this bike was not intended to be run without water cooling period. notice how there arent any cooling fins machined onto the engine itself? it TOTALLY relies on water cooling in order to keep it cool.

Sorry but not an option in my opinion.

If you want a bike without water cooling, start with an air cooled bike to bing with.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You might get by on the front cylinder as it would see the air, but the back one will fry.

Jon

·
Registered
802 Posts
It would never make it here. I rode mine consistently when the temps were well over 100º. No way would the aluminum like that kind of riding. Like was already mentioned, no cooling fins on these motors. That heat is going right back into it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
having ridden air cooled bikes and liquid cooled bikes I do not recommend ever going air cooled. long story short air cooled bikes will not last like liquid cooled does.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
There is a coolant jacket around the cylinders. Remove the coolant, and the pistons seize in no time, no matter how big heat sinks you add to the outside of the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I agree with luigit. If you want an air cooled bike, you could always buy a Harley lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I guess I just consider it as not possible. No problem. Just wanted to look at the possibility to build a naked bike out of a VN750..
I'm also driving a Yamaha XVS1100 classic which is Air cooled. Never had any problems at all with the engine temp. Indeed an Air cooled bike has a lot more more cooling fins as I also mentioned in the first port of this thread. Anyway.. I won't even try to run this one without liquid cooling - Would be a shame to ruin the bike this way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts