Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have the genuine Kawasaki saddlebags, saddlebag mounting brackets/turn signal relocators, and luggage rack.
That's a fabulous looking motorcycle, no question about it. I've never seen the genuine Kawasaki bags before. What is the bag you have on the luggage rack, if I may ask? I've tried zooming in the picture but still can't quite tell what you've got there. It seems to be strapped across your extended backrest. I'd be interested in getting one of those. I've got the rack and the backrest on mine.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I love your setup. The "genuine kawasaki" bags- are those still made? And like a sportster the signals and shocks make mounting bags a problem.the relocation kit is a kawasaki item thats likely nonexistant now i am guessing. I love your setup. I also owned an 800 and 900. I like the ugly duckling 750 better. I need a stock seat and found one on ebay.i hate the button tuft thing but i want to keep the bike stock.the nonstock change is going to be the toolcase issue.several here talk about how flimsy it is.i do have the extended backrest.i believe that was standard on the bike.
The VN700 seat is better as a stock item. No buttons!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My experience with pods is based on numerous inline 4 cylinder jap bikes.its near impossible to get one jetted right with pods.just curious weather here varies from 0 degrees in winter to 115 above in summer.we have about 10 months of warm weather.how does that compare to new york.
If a multi cylinder bike has CV carbs, it's best to use the stock air box.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Those ugly big aircleaners on either side of the bike ruin the looks.any way to get rid of them and put something better on. The bike is oldschool.i am too. I look forward to bringing it back to life
Grumpy, this is what I built for my son to ride. I've owned her 21 years, time to pass down for many more years of fun. 54k + miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did you just paint over the chrome on the instruments? And it stayed on or did you have to repaint a few times? I love that paint job

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Do all these bikes have a big plastic jug down by the lower right hand side of the engine for radiator overflow. Its hard to tell how much is in it.i have a manual coming.if there is a drain on the radiator i want to drain and refill the system.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Do all these bikes have a big plastic jug down by the lower right hand side of the engine for radiator overflow. Its hard to tell how much is in it.i have a manual coming.if there is a drain on the radiator i want to drain and refill the system.
Yes. It's got an H and L mark, and a slot in the cover as a " sight glass".

Drain is a plastic plug on the bottom right of the radiator, and another metal plug on the bottom right of engine, below the area of the water pump.

My opinion based on experience... I would avoid Dexcool , or deathcool, like the plague. The Verses recommends it for this engine, not good info.

·
Banned
3,057 Posts
The stock bike has a slightly extended backrest, but it is very short, only a few inches high. Years ago Kawasaki offered an extension that raised that backrest more than twice as high as stock. The back end of the stock seat fits tightly under the pad on the extended backrest, holding it in place. The extended backrest makes it high enough to attach a T Bag to, which is what I have. In the picture I only have the bottom part of it. It came as a set, with a roll bag that attaches to the top of the rectangular bag, but I rarely ever use it. I got the T Bag from JC Whitney many years ago, there is no brand on it. A LOT of companies make similar bags. Kawasaki hasn't sold any accessories for the Vulcan 750 in at least 15 years. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

I have always been a firm believer in leaving the intake alone on a street ridden bike. My '06 Sportster still has it's stock airbox and filter. It came with no name aftermarket slip on mufflers that sound great. It runs fine and does not overheat even in AZ. So it is likely that the carb was rejetted for the aftermarket mufflers. I had the carb apart once to clean it, but never checked the jet sizes.

Carburetors, especially CV carburetors, do not have a very wide tuning range. If you put both high flow air filters and open exhausts on, you will likely be beyond the carburetors tuning range. It may be spot on at one engine speed and way off, either too rich or too lean, at other engine speeds. The "restrictive" airbox and exhaust reduce the necessary tuning range and make it possible for the engine to run right at all engine speeds idle to redline. The Vulcan 750 has always had plenty of power for me. I don't race it. I did put V&H pipes on my last one, nearly 20 years ago, and they sounded great at idle and at low speeds, but horrible at highway speeds. I went back to stock. There is no way to make it sound like a Harley. Even new Harleys do not sound like Harleys.

Reactions: Acadia86

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The stock bike has a slightly extended backrest, but it is very short, only a few inches high. Years ago Kawasaki offered an extension that raised that backrest more than twice as high as stock. The back end of the stock seat fits tightly under the pad on the extended backrest, holding it in place. The extended backrest makes it high enough to attach a T Bag to, which is what I have. In the picture I only have the bottom part of it. It came as a set, with a roll bag that attaches to the top of the rectangular bag, but I rarely ever use it. I got the T Bag from JC Whitney many years ago, there is no brand on it. A LOT of companies make similar bags. Kawasaki hasn't sold any accessories for the Vulcan 750 in at least 15 years. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

I have always been a firm believer in leaving the intake alone on a street ridden bike. My '06 Sportster still has it's stock airbox and filter. It came with no name aftermarket slip on mufflers that sound great. It runs fine and does not overheat even in AZ. So it is likely that the carb was rejetted for the aftermarket mufflers. I had the carb apart once to clean it, but never checked the jet sizes.

Carburetors, especially CV carburetors, do not have a very wide tuning range. If you put both high flow air filters and open exhausts on, you will likely be beyond the carburetors tuning range. It may be spot on at one engine speed and way off, either too rich or too lean, at other engine speeds. The "restrictive" airbox and exhaust reduce the necessary tuning range and make it possible for the engine to run right at all engine speeds idle to redline. The Vulcan 750 has always had plenty of power for me. I don't race it. I did put V&H pipes on my last one, nearly 20 years ago, and they sounded great at idle and at low speeds, but horrible at highway speeds. I went back to stock. There is no way to make it sound like a Harley. Even new Harleys do not sound like Harleys.
I just got rid of my 09 sporrtster 883. This bike has much better performance and without a doubt better shocks and ground clearance. I originally thought the aircleaners were hideous.i am getting used to them.my seat has the stock backrest,about 4 inch upturn. My toolcase is missing, the seat bolts are missing.i found a less than perfect seat on ebay,its coming next week.the prior owners dog destroyed the left side of the original seat. I am going to drain and refill the radiator.i doubt it holds more than 6 ounces. I use the premix stuff. I found a chrome sidecover and put it on yesterday. I will change the driveshaft oil today.next week when my rear tire replacement comes i will remind them to grease the splines.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
It is highly recommended that you bolt your seat on. Having it fly off during a panic stop at 60 mph is not an experience that I recommend. Please do not ask me how I know this...

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grumpy72

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
When I got the mustang seat I had to get longer bolts and was able to easily find them at Home Depot. So if your missing the originals it’s not a big deal to replace them

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It is highly recommended that you bolt your seat on. Having it fly off during a panic stop at 60 mph is not an experience that I recommend. Please do not ask me how I know this...

I will put on bolt in tight.one in snug

·
Registered
1980 vulcan750
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So far on my new to me 89 vn750 i changed oil and filter, handgrips, new front tire, replaced one missing sidecover , made an illegal fake tag. Next week new rear tire, inspection, and tags. I love riding it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
So far on my new to me 89 vn750 i changed oil and filter, handgrips, new front tire, replaced one missing sidecover , made an illegal fake tag. Next week new rear tire, inspection, and tags. I love riding it. View attachment 53650
Looking good

·
Banned
3,057 Posts
My 1200 Sportster is slightly faster, and has a 200 mile+ range with it's 4.5 gallon tank. It is WAY more fun to ride, because of the way it shakes and the beautiful sound it makes. You know you are on a MACHINE. It is a delight for the senses. But the Vulcan 750 has it's place. I use mine for what many would use a Suzuki V-Strom 650 or Kawasaki Versys 650 for. I cannot get on either one of those bikes because the seat is too high. Many people have ridden to Prudhoe Bay AK and back on big Harley dressers. If they can do it the Vulcan 750 certainly can. I know of one guy who made the trip on a Victory Vision.

If you don't have the optional extended backrest like this one, then the seat definitely needs to be bolted down. Make sure you use the correct bolts. The tin brackets on the seat where the bolts screw into strip out real easy. Don't over tighten them. If you have the extended backrest, you can see how the back of the stock seat is held in place by it.

The cooling system holds 1.8L total, including the radiator, engine, and reservoir. I highly recommend Maxima motorcycle coolant. You need to remove the right side steering head cover, and then remove the filler cap (when the engine is cold) then remove the radiator drain plug, the drain plug on the bottom of the engine, and the drain plug at the base of each cylinder. all the coolant will run out. Then remove the reservoir and pour out the old coolant. With all the plugs removed from the engine and radiator, pour a gallon of distilled water through the filler neck to flush the rest of the old coolant out. Clean out the reservoir and put it back. Put all 4 of the drain plugs back. Pour in about a quart of coolant, and start the engine. let it warm up. As it warms up, pout in more coolant slowly, to prevent air bubbles from forming. Once the thermostat opens the engine and radiator will begin to fill up, and air will come out the filler neck. There is an air bleed fitting next to the filler neck, but it is so close it serves no purpose. Just keep pouring coolant in slowly until it reaches the top. Watch the temp gauge to make sure it isn't overheating. When it is full, put the filler cap back on, then fill the reservoir up to the full line. Take the bike for a ride around the block, then bring it back and park it. Let it sit overnight. If the cooling system was a little low, it will suck more coolant out of the reservoir as it cools. The next day, if the reservoir is low, fill it back up to the full line.

DO NOT use any flushing chemicals in the Vulcan 750 engine. They will cause corrosion and possibly damage the water pump mechanical seal. Use distilled water only. Faucet water contains minerals which will cause rust and corrosion.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts