Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i think ive mentioned this before, and im still no further forward!!

The air bleed screws (or air/fuel mix screws, what ever you want to call them) are totally siezed/chewed, basically, they're fooooked!!

Now ive tried everybloodygoddamnthing i can think of bar drilling the things out, heat, hot water, WD-40, soaking them in parrafin, petrol, wd-40, carb cleaner, urine, gravy, diesel...... you get the point?!

Now we cant buy Seafoam in the UK, which you guys seem to mention everytime, so i got myself a can while i was in Fl in september, and guess what! nadda, zip, zilch, not a goddamnthing.

So, after 3 months of cooling off, ive decided to get back in the garage and give it another go, so im asking you guys if you have any suggestions, other than seafoam, that i can try to get these bloody screws loose.

Thank you

From the bottom of my Sump

Andrew

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Have you tried using an impact drill? Better yet, how about one of those "screw out" things for tapping the screw? I would recommend caution though, becuase IIRC, the carb bodies are soft metal so you could cause damage if you do it wrong. Then again, if the screws are permanently stuck in there the carb is pretty much shot. Just make sure that you can get replacement screws if you remove them in a way that damages the screws in the process.

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
. .....Then again, if the screws are permanently stuck in there the carb is pretty much shot. .

Just because you can't get the air/fuel screws out does not mean the carb is "shot"
Hundreds of folks here in the states have not even unplugged and adjusted theirs and the bikes still run fine.

The only thing to do is remove the carb, use penetrating oil (let stand overnight) and try to use the proper sized screwdriver blade..or drill and use an "easy out"...you might have trouble with the latter as these screws a very small and made of brass.

If they won't come out, all that means is you can't adjust them, the carb is still useable..

KM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, if the screw slot is that messed up, probably no amount of any kind of penatrant is going to help now unless you use something other than a screwdriver.

I haven't had mine out, but by looking at the micro fiche, it seems as there should be enough room to get a left handed drill bit and/or a tiny easy-out in there and slowly try that.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'd pull the carbs, and then try Hyper's suggestion first; failing that, lock 'em down onto a bench and then hit 'em with an impact driver per AJ's recommendation. I have yet for my impact driver to let me down!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
If all else fails... Beat the $#!T out of them. Take a break & do it again. Then go buy new parts. You'll feel good for receiving New stuff & waisting money on things you didn't need to buy, But beat the **** out of. Now if you ask my opinion,... Folks here know what there talking about. It may not always be a quick fix but is usually a fix! "KEKE"

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If all else fails... Beat the $#!T out of them. Take a break & do it again. Then go buy new parts. You'll feel good for receiving New stuff & waisting money on things you didn't need to buy, But beat the **** out of. Now if you ask my opinion,... Folks here know what there talking about. It may not always be a quick fix but is usually a fix! "KEKE"
lol Impact driver or sledgehammer - take your pick! (I've been known to use both...)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bucky, the best thing I've found for unsticking screws and bolts is PB Blaster. I didnt see that listed in your list of failed attempts. Works much better than WD40. Maybe give it a try

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you consider taking it to a machine shop, it may be the best way other then using an easyout.I don't think any amount of soaking is going to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts