Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2005 VN 750
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to walk in and buy an AGM battery on Saturday for a Sunday ride. I have not had the time yet to research this online or on this site. I made one phone call so far to a local shop, and he has a Futaba FAYTX14AHL in stock for $90. What do you-all recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Looks like the prices have gone up, but last Nov. I got the battery in my signature for about $70 after discounts and including tax. It's listed at $81.99 today. Great battery though, it held 13.5v sitting all winter and the first half of riding season. Even started the bike just fine when I had it run down to 11.5v with the dead stator.

MagnaPower ETX15L
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-volt-sealed-agm-premium-powersport-battery-220-cca-magnapower_16940004-p?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15000|L3*15602

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
I just have a basic Road Runner battery i got from Mills Fleet Farm, it was $59. Ive had good luck with them in my bike and my atvs....ive gotten at least 3 yrs out of them..and the one i just replaced in my atv was 5 years old..

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I put this Battery Info together 2012...has not been updated.
hope this helps
WilliamTech :smiley_th

Compatible AGM Batteries

Manufacturer ... ... Model ... ... CCA ... Availablity ... ... Additional Notes
BatteriesPlus X2-15L 210 BatteriesPlus Deka ETX15L re-branded- - $95.00 Store-Nov-2012
Big Crank ETX15L 210 Online Retailers, eBay Deka ETX15L re-branded --- Ebay - $68.00 Nov-2012
Deka ETX15L 210 Online Retailers, eBay
Die Hard 44005 210 Sears YUASA YTX14AHL-BS re-branded $80.00-Store Nov-2012
EverStart ES14AHBS 210 Walmart Terminals are swapped, so install backwards and remove bottom spacer.
Interstate CYTX14AHL-BS 210 Retailers YUASA YTX14AHL-BS re-branded
MagnaPower
ETX15L 210 Advance Auto Parts Deka ETX15L re-branded - In Store
Manga Power 12v Sealed AGM 220CCA ?($81.99 – April 2013)

WestCo 12V14L-B 220 WestCo
YUASA YTX14AHL-BS 210 Online Retailers, eBay $78.00 online Dec-2012 ----$88.00 Dec-2012
Magma Power ETX15L 220 CCA Advance Auto Parts 220 CCA $77.00 - Online -Take 15% off -Enter code DEM11 at checkout. Online Only.
Scorpion YTX14AHL-BS Scorpion 12v 210 CCA AGM BatterieStuff.com $66.00 + Sert 2013 BatteryStuff Part #: sYTX14AHL-BS Replaces: YTX14AHL-BS, YB14L-A2, YB14L-B2, 12N14-3A,CB14AL-A2

NOTE: Ebay / Online prices quoted above are from a single online 2012 search, additional search’s may produce different prices.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I picked up an agm from advanced auto.think i paid like $70 plus tax.left ignition on last night and the bitch still started this morning.

·
2005 VN 750
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reccomendations!

Thanks for the last minute battery reccomendations. I ended up buying one from Advance Auto Parts. Spockster- The link made buying super simple. Thanks! William Tech- The battery info was interesting to consider. I paid online and got a 15% discount, then went to pick it up at my nearby store. I ordered a "Magna", but they slid a "Autocraft" across the counter. I reluctantly accepted it. I needed a battery Now! The following day I called 4 Advance Auto stores and asked many questions. They said that they are in the process of phasing out the "Magna" batteries and using their house brand, which is "Autocraft". Magna was made near Allentown PA by DEKA/East Penn Manufacturing, and had solid terminals. The "Autocraft" I took possession of had hollow terminals with loose nuts and screws to drop down somewhere, and the box said made in China. I visited another store, and that box said made in USA, and had solid terminals. The salesman said that it may be a repackaged Magna battery being re-branded as Autocraft. They say the new batteries are made by Johnson Controls. If you go to buy one of these, check the terminal type and the country of origen on the box.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I saw one at Autozone today for $64....an ETX15L...was only 80 CCA, so I passed on it....my buddy Jack just ordered me a Deka from a distributor in Delaware....110 CCA...was like $72....

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Not sure if those CCA numbers are right Wolfie. My ETX15L is 220 cca, and I think the manual calls for at least 200 cca.

Well I did it.... Left my ignition on for two hours and ran the battery completely dead. Have the headlight bypass in place so all the lights were on until the end.

After about an hour and a half with a 2 amp charger, we finally jumped it off a car battery and got it fired up. She kinda popped and carried on when I tried to run a little hard so I kept it steady and watched the volt meter on the way home. Where it normally shows 7-8 bars (14.5v), it started with 3 bars and ended the 20 mile trip with 4 bars.

After 1.5 days on a 500ma charger, the battery is holding 13.4v cold. And the bike charges at 14.5v again. Guess now I'll be able to tell when my battery starts getting weak.

I'm getting plenty of charge, think I might reverse the headlight bypass in case I CRS on the key again.

·
2005 VN 750
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolfie- The "Magna" AGM battery (made by Deka) that I paid for online from Advance Auto said 220 CCA. The "Autocraft" AGM battery that they substituted (made in China) has an unknown CCA rating. It was not listed on the battery or on the box. The store price was $81.99, or 15% discount if paid online. One of the stores I called had 2 Magna (made by Deka) in stock.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Dont remember where I got the 110 from, but it came today....is a 220 CCA, and only cost me $64 with free shipping (wasnt a far ship)....I am in battery heaven now, after dealing with $34 Wallymart wetcells....bessie will have the pacemake she needs now, lolol....
And the Autozone one DID say 80 CCA....the girlie even showed me (I dint wanna open the box)....what a RIP !!!!....
Im gonna start charging it tonight....but in the directions, dont specify at which amperage....I always did my wet cells at 4amps, so will do same here....I have a 10 amp setting, but Im affeared....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
What bothered me about the Autozone one, was that it was only 80 CCA for $64....I got the Deka with 220 CCA for the exact same price, and free shipping, in 36 hrs....put the cuss in today....fits better than the WallyMort did, and the thing started with barely a touch to the starter button...Im a happy camper....between that, and the TP stator I "think" I have, I may add a stereo now, lol....
But IMO....that Deka 210 CCA is the best buy....I paid only $20 less for a Wally that never lasted....either of em....one lasted 6 mos....the other 18....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...well...in all fairness, ya told me before I started gettin my pension.... ;)

·
2005 VN 750
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AGM Battery evaluation

Just thought I'd give my feedback on the AGM battery after having it awhile. The bike had been sitting where it lives in a storage unit, and after 2 months of not running, it cranked over at normal speed. I removed it, and took it home, and occasionally trickle charge it just to keep it healthy. I never saw the need to provide a top-up charge since purchasing it. It always cranked the bike without running down, unlike my previous "normal" lead-acid batteries. I am sold on AGM batteries, and enthusiastically recomend them to everyone!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im real happy with mine too...I leave it right in the bike (used to bring my lead-acid inside when cold)....cranks like no tomorrow...I bought a cheap battery tender for it since its been single digits here a lot, but havent used it much...no need....

BTW...I got the Deka by recomendation from Ol Hoss...he should know about good batteries !

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
2005 VN 750
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
[Wolfie said:] Im real happy with mine too...I leave it right in the bike (used to bring my lead-acid inside when cold)....cranks like no tomorrow...I bought a cheap battery tender for it since its been single digits here a lot, but havent used it much...no need....

[Jeffro's response:] In the past, I've had several dealers tell me that motorcycle batteries do not get fully charged back up by the bike's charging system, and that a battery tender should be used if the bike is not ridden for awhile. With these AGM batteries, that's a thing of the past! All praise AGM batteries! Amen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts