Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the coasters on last week, adjusted the carbs and the bike has been running like a champ right up till today. She flat died on me going down the road (a complete electrical shutdown). Pulled her over and she cranked right back up but was running rough. Pulled her into the garage, parked a locked the forks. When I pulled the key out, I noticed it was slightly twisted, so much so that when I reinserted the key, it would not unlock. Some slight pressure and the key came out.

Here is my question: Can a slight twist in the key create a complete electrical shutdown? :confused: I pulled the spare key and she cranked right over and ran like a champ........

P.S. I found the culprit for the twist in the tight gas cap. :BLAM: That little problem was fixed.......

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Unlikely but not impossible. The lock tumblers are a cylinder that activates the switch by a cam at the end. That cylinder is solid metal but the slight twist may have kept the cam from turning the switch to full contact. Hope this sheds a little light on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unlikely but not impossible. The lock tumblers are a cylinder that activates the switch by a cam at the end. That cylinder is solid metal but the slight twist may have kept the cam from turning the switch to full contact. Hope this sheds a little light on it.
Thanks, it seemed logical to me that once the key opens the switch, it should have no effect. The switch had a history of being "touchy" but I pulled it apart a couple of months back and cleaned the contacts, adjusted the springs and it's been working great every since. May be another issue entirely (vapor lock, junk in the carb etc.) I'll run it this weekend and see if it happens again. Thanks......respects

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have other keys on the ring?? If so this may have pulled on the twisted key and turned it to the off position slightly.
Nope. Single key only and I'm anal about that, just ask my wife about conversations we have had about her ten pound keyring and two ignition replacements in her car.....(if your reading this honey,,,,,just kidding).

·
Kawika
441 Posts
my key has twisted on the gas cap, too. I have to put downward pressure on the cap when twisting to avoid it now.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My ignition switch was replaced under warrenty. Seems if the harness is not routed right the ign wire will pull out on turns. The symptom is a dead bike, wiggling the bars will let the wire make contact again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts