Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front turn signals are hangin' like earings and I intend to replace them with simple aftermarket markers. Any advice on mounting "stud-mount" lights in place of the stock "insert-twist-then bolt" lights?

·
Registered
335 Posts
i like the mini bullets personally, i would get them in led though, they are about 50 dollars for the twin poll set (runing and turnsignal) i have singal poll led ones if you would like or i could convert it to a dual poll filement amber bulb. they are smoked lensed with amber leds

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
LEDs are definitely worth looking into, as they last virtually forever, are extremely vibration resistant, and draw A LOT less power, but they do have a few caveats to watch for....

Some LED lights are very "directional"...by that I mean they are not nearly as bright if viewed from the side, as viewed from the front. Also: many of them look really good in lower light conditions, but in or near mid-day bright sunlight (especially in the summertime) some of them can pretty much be overwhelmed.

Soooooo....do you homework ahead of time. Get feedback from other sources you trust before shelling out your hard-earned dollars on LED light systems!!!...:smiley_th

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I have these for turn signals mounted on the side of the license plate

the red ones

I have this for a stop tail and tag light

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I put my ninja 500 turn signals on my VN750 lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
For basic turn signals I found these folks. Looks OEM a half the price and comes complete with bulbs and all. They are out of the front turn signals.
My rears just came in today. Worth the money.

http://www.darkhorsemotorcycleparts.com/products/REAR-TURN-SIGNAL-for-KAWASAKI-VN700-ZN700-VN750-ZN1100.html
Yup, the Bikemaster 26-2025 (front) and 26-2026 (rear) are direct OEM replacements. You can find them at a lot of different places. I'm pretty sure the fronts are on backorder right from Bikemaster, as they're currently out of stock everywhere I've seen them. I was told that mine should arrive the first few days of October. They're usually $18-$20 each, with shipping usually being within a few bucks, making them almost the exact same total price regardless of where you get them. I actually managed to find an online store that was a local shop who had them for $16.xx, meaning I was able to pick them up rather than paying for shipping.

I would've preferred to switch to stud-mount signals, but the price and direct fit of these ended up winning out. They don't include the metal bushing in the screw hole, so make sure to transfer those over from your old signals. If you need new screws, the Kawasaki part number is 92009-1662 (replaces 92009-1288). My local dealer had them in stock (they seem to be used on a variety of bikes) for under $2 each. I don't really like paying $2 for a screw, but it's under $8 total and it was actually cheaper than I found them online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've drawn up a design to mount the stud-type signals in the stock location(s) and once I get it all set up, I'll post some pics. Thanks for the info y'all!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I bought some of the cheapo mini turn signals and used the stock rubber mount and drilled it out to the size of the studs on the signals and jst twisted them into the stock mounts.You need to saw the outer end of the broken rubber mount off flat and drill the hole almost exactly the same size as the studs but they look like they came that way when you are done,The stock ones usually break out next to the end next to the light anyway.If the rubber part that the screw goes through is not dry rotted it will cost less than thirty bucks.and it is custom made ...By you!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My Bikemaster front signals came in this week, and I got them installed last night.

First off, the old signals were a huge pain to remove. The screw heads stripped out trying to remove them, and even using the Dremel to cut a new channel across the screw head didn't help. I ended up cutting the screw hole part of the mount off from the stalk part of the mount, so I was able to twist the stalk part to pull it out. I then cut the remaining mount from around the screw and bushing, and used pliers to start turning the screw out. The rear signals that I replaced last month popped right out as you'd expect.

The new signals had black, black/white, and red wires. The stock wiring for the left side (where I started) is black/yellow, blue, and green. The black/white striped wire on the signal goes to the black/yellow striped wire on the bike. The plain black wire goes to blue, and the red wires goes to green. I probably could've found more detail in the service manual, but the signals had no documentation, so I probably still would've had a bit of trial and error. If I remember correctly, the right side was black/yellow, blue, and gray.

Basically stripe to stripe, black to blue, and red to whatever's left.

I still don't think it's the best design, but these are a cheap way to get bolt-on replacements for your old sagging or broken signals. I'm happy with them for what they are. Here are pics with and without flash.

It's nice to have all four signals free of tape and sagging. The black Gorilla tape at least didn't stand out, but it's just so much less redneck to just have the new ones installed.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
As I replace/repair my turn signals, I'm inserting a reinforcing tube inside the rubber stalk and gluing it in place. Hoping that will keep the stalk from cracking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts